eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

Oh
I have to disagree that the sites "bring that behavior upon themselves" with all their fees. No one likes fees but no one is twisting our arms to make us sell there! We can choose to sell (or buy) on Craigslist, Facebook, or any one of a number of other "free" sites. But remember that those sites come with no oversight, no vetting of sellers, no vetting of buyers, no buyer or seller protection and little (if any) exposure.

There's little argument that you can't beat the exposure you get from ebay vs. anywhere else.

As for the fees, they're really pretty reasonable when you consider not just the exposure but the service they offer. I used to bring some of my items to a couple of high-end and very fussy consignment stores. While they had great items for me to buy, for my items to be sold, they did a 60/40 split. (I got 40%, they kept 60%!)

And there are complaints about Fashionphile, TRR, Yoogis, etc. about the low buyout offers and low consignment prices. But there's a benefit to that too and it's a benefit worth paying for. Once they take your items, you don't have to worry about returns, renters, scammers, etc.

So the <15% I pay ebay for giving my listings exposure is a bargain.

Geez, I sound like an ebay cheerleader. I certainly don't intend it but for what you get, it's a darned good deal.

oh, I did say I don’t agree with transacting outside of eBay since they brought seller and buyer together……and I also agree of all the sites out here, eBay has the lowest fees…..compared to Poshmark and Tradsey…..but many of us have had to move on to the other sites because eBay traffic is not what it used to be…..I guess you get what you pay for……

I'm both a seller and an occasional buyer on Ebay. I messaged a seller with a couple simple questions on a handbag listing. The listing was devoid of a lot of details but the photos were good, so I just wanted to confirm a couple of things before making an offer. The seller has quite a few items listed and 100% feedback. 24+ hours later and . . . crickets. Not a word in response from this seller. (The seller has also not indicated that they are away on vacation or unavailable either.)

So many sellers complain about no activity on Ebay, plenty of watchers but no offers, etc. and here I am, prepared to make a really good offer on this item, and the seller does not bother responding. So I'm deleting it from my watch list and moving on. Really, I almost think Ebay should ding seller ratings in some way if you don't respond within 24 hours to a message.

Yeah..eBay is sort of like hit and run…..list and then disappear…..even worse is that when you ask a question, you get a rude answer….sellers don’t seem to know he adage that the customer is the king…..

In regards to louboutins on eBay…..ever notice everything is a So Kate?……some sellers don’t have a clue what they are selling…..I’ve seen peep toe “So Kate’s”…..I’ve seen 2” heels being listed as So Kate’s, slingback listed as So Kate’s…..it’s like someone told the lister to advertise them as So Kate’s and they will sell at a higher price….

and then another pet peeve is selling worn louboutins above the retail price of new ones….like if you wore them, they are suddenly worth more than a new pair….

crazy

Reactions: youngster
Yeah..eBay is sort of like hit and run…..list and then disappear…..even worse is that when you ask a question, you get a rude answer….sellers don’t seem to know he adage that the customer is the king…..

In regards to louboutins on eBay…..ever notice everything is a So Kate?……some sellers don’t have a clue what they are selling…..I’ve seen peep toe “So Kate’s”…..I’ve seen 2” heels being listed as So Kate’s, slingback listed as So Kate’s…..it’s like someone told the lister to advertise them as So Kate’s and they will sell at a higher price….

and then another pet peeve is selling worn louboutins above the retail price of new ones….like if you wore them, they are suddenly worth more than a new pair….

crazy

I know what you mean. I respond to every question, usually within an hour or two. If someone messages me after midnight, I won't respond until a few hours later, but I always respond. Buyers appreciate it and I've sold more as a result.

Regarding the So Kate's, those sellers are likely just trying to get their listing to pop up when people search for CL's, the idea being that someone might be attracted to their listing if they see it. In the old days on Ebay, sellers would often clutter up their listing titles so that it would show up in more searches. I don't see that quite as often as in the past. Also, I rarely see the use of "RARE" in a listing title lol. In the old days, everything was "RARE" lol!

So, I moved on to my second choice of this particular handbag that I've been searching for which is listed on Posh. Asked the seller a couple of questions yesterday morning and . . . more crickets. Seriously, what is up with this list and disappear? I've got one more alternative on Posh, otherwise it's also on 24S brand new. It's too bad as I'd rather buy this in excellent, pre-owned condition and help a fellow E-bayer/Posher.

So, I moved on to my second choice of this particular handbag that I've been searching for which is listed on Posh. Asked the seller a couple of questions yesterday morning and . . . more crickets. Seriously, what is up with this list and disappear? I've got one more alternative on Posh, otherwise it's also on 24S brand new. It's too bad as I'd rather buy this in excellent, pre-owned condition and help a fellow E-bayer/Posher.

I bought a top on Poshmark recently and apparently the seller just doesn’t check it anymore. It was way past the 7-day mark but I didn’t cancel because I really liked the top and haven’t seen anyone else selling that color. Well, it took so long that Poshmark cancelled automatically.

I know what you mean. I respond to every question, usually within an hour or two. If someone messages me after midnight, I won't respond until a few hours later, but I always respond. Buyers appreciate it and I've sold more as a result.

Regarding the So Kate's, those sellers are likely just trying to get their listing to pop up when people search for CL's, the idea being that someone might be attracted to their listing if they see it. In the old days on Ebay, sellers would often clutter up their listing titles so that it would show up in more searches. I don't see that quite as often as in the past. Also, I rarely see the use of "RARE" in a listing title lol. In the old days, everything was "RARE" lol!
I still see “rare” a lot and I always think it sounds so silly.

I bought a top on Poshmark recently and apparently the seller just doesn’t check it anymore. It was way past the 7-day mark but I didn’t cancel because I really liked the top and haven’t seen anyone else selling that color. Well, it took so long that Poshmark cancelled automatically.

I feel your pain. I asked a couple of minor questions about a handbag on Posh. It was my second choice after the Ebay seller never responded to my questions about the first bag. Never got a response from the Posh seller so I never bothered to submit an offer. I just don't get it. List and disappear is a thing apparently. I ended up buying the bag brand new elsewhere.

I'm both a seller and an occasional buyer on Ebay. I messaged a seller with a couple simple questions on a handbag listing. The listing was devoid of a lot of details but the photos were good, so I just wanted to confirm a couple of things before making an offer. The seller has quite a few items listed and 100% feedback. 24+ hours later and . . . crickets. Not a word in response from this seller. (The seller has also not indicated that they are away on vacation or unavailable either.)

So many sellers complain about no activity on Ebay, plenty of watchers but no offers, etc. and here I am, prepared to make a really good offer on this item, and the seller does not bother responding. So I'm deleting it from my watch list and moving on. Really, I almost think Ebay should ding seller ratings in some way if you don't respond within 24 hours to a message.
About half the time that buyers ask me questions on ebay, they disappear after I respond. I seriously start worrying that somehow they didn't get my response. This last time, the buyer said she noticed the same pictures on other sites and which one did I prefer she buy from? I don't know why ebay didn't block that question - she clearly mentioned Posh and Tradesy. Based on her question, I thought she was all set to buy but she just disappeared after that.

About half the time that buyers ask me questions on ebay, they disappear after I respond. I seriously start worrying that somehow they didn't get my response. This last time, the buyer said she noticed the same pictures on other sites and which one did I prefer she buy from? I don't know why ebay didn't block that question - she clearly mentioned Posh and Tradesy. Based on her question, I thought she was all set to buy but she just disappeared after that.

I'm so happy to see that this thought process isn't just me. I've gone back over my 'sent' messages to make sure that I really pressed that button and didn't just think about it. I had a beautiful bag listed for quite a while. Two separate people requested more photos in the same week (I must admit I went back to see if the two questions were actually from the same person). I wrote detailed responses and took and sent more photos. Nothing.

As a seller, I have the same issue too. Take detailed pics, answer questions and people disappear. I guess maybe the extra info caused them to change their mind? That's possible. Once or twice, I have had the opposite problem, when a buyer just wants to message back and forth forever and chat lol.

Reactions: whateve and Roro
As a seller, I have the same issue too. Take detailed pics, answer questions and people disappear. I guess maybe the extra info caused them to change their mind? That's possible. Once or twice, I have had the opposite problem, when a buyer just wants to message back and forth forever and chat lol.
In a lot of these cases, the response I gave them would have made them more likely to buy. Such as when they ask if there are any stains on the lining and you answer no.

As a eBay, Poshmark, Tradsey buyer, I never buy if my questions are not answered to my satisfaction….I mean sellers have to understand that when they are asking for several hundred dollars for an item, it is up to them to provide all requested info to successfully sell an item since unlike a brick and mother store where a buyer can tough, feel and inspect, this is not possible online…

as a seller, I always answer all questions to the best of my ability, including measurements, additional pictures, etc…..BUT, the one thing I will not do, when listing shoes is to provide modeling pictures….I mean have gotten requests for close up of the toe cleavage, etc….I don’t believe those are buyers, but people trying to satisfy a fetish….

My latest qualm is with sellers who cancel my orders then relist a couple of days later at $50-$100 more. This has happened to me three times in the past 6 weeks with the same brand. Are they not doing the research first before listing? Is it a common practice to list a bag JUST to see how fast it sells? If it sells within the first 20 minutes then I guess they priced it too low? It just seems so insincere to me.

Reactions: Sferics