eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

That sounds like a problem buyer any way you look at it. Holy moly.
Yeah I just looked at her ratings. She has 5. One 4 star as a buyer. Seller wrote "uneventful transaction." One 3 star as a seller listing a new bag that had stains on lining. One 5 star auto rating and 2 five stars as a buyer. She also has one cancellation as a buyer and one cancellation as a seller. So yep problem buyer.

Yeah I just looked at her ratings. She has 5. One 4 star as a buyer. Seller wrote "uneventful transaction." One 3 star as a seller listing a new bag that had stains on lining. One 5 star auto rating and 2 five stars as a buyer. She also has one cancellation as a buyer and one cancellation as a seller. So yep problem buyer.
And she just messaged that "ok I want it, what's the least you can do?" Lol my response was that it looks like she already purchased. This person is crazy.

Eta: messages again if she requests to cancel will I lower price. OMG. And she does know it's up to seller to agree to cancel not like other sites where a buyer can arbitrarily cancel or not pay.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 336
And she just messaged that "ok I want it, what's the least you can do?" Lol my response was that it looks like she already purchased. This person is crazy.

Eta: messages again if she requests to cancel will I lower price. OMG. And she does know it's up to seller to agree to cancel not like other sites where a buyer can arbitrarily cancel or not pay.
Wow, sounds like it's going to be a roller coaster ride with this buyer!

I'd be tempted to cancel so I could block her! It's these stories that make me think I should get a PO Box to use as my return address when I sell. Some people make you wonder.

I'd be tempted to cancel so I could block her! It's these stories that make me think I should get a PO Box to use as my return address when I sell. Some people make you wonder.
There is a bill that might require marketplaces to disclose seller's names, addresses and phone numbers.

• Wow
Reactions: BeenBurned
I hate having my auctions sniped or BIN by a new user with 0 feedback!

It does make my heart stop a beat when I see a zero feedback buyer, but there are actually many good buyers with zero feedback. I had a buyer with zero Ebay feedback and this person is a famous governor (recognized the name and address). Another time it was a famous Hollywood person (with their studio address :biggrin:) So, other than new Ebay-er, there are others who don't want to register with Ebay, or just prefer guest checkout.

Reactions: Sferics
It does make my heart stop a beat when I see a zero feedback buyer, but there are actually many good buyers with zero feedback. I had a buyer with zero Ebay feedback and this person is a famous governor (recognized the name and address). Another time it was a famous Hollywood person (with their studio address :biggrin:) So, other than new Ebay-er, there are others who don't want to register with Ebay, or just prefer guest checkout.
Mine never pay lol

I hate having my auctions sniped or BIN by a new user with 0 feedback!
I have sold to a couple of brand new buyers. Yes, I had some concerns but I thought hey, I was new once. And I’m happy to say I’ve not had any issues with any of the two. Now that’s not to say number three could make my teeth hurt with grief but you just never know...

Re managed payments, I reluctantly decided to continue selling on eBay with the new system that requires more personal information and bank account details but at the last hurdle they insisted on photo ID. Is this usual?

ETA I’m in Australia and I’ve been selling with my one original eBay account for almost 15 years. No negative feedback or major drama ever. I contacted eBay chat and was advised that if I failed to verify with photo ID my account could possibly be suspended. So I took down my listings.
Kind of shocked and disappointed but that was a step too far for me
:frown:

Not eBay-related specifically, but just a general pet peeve: when sellers don't disclose that the item has some serious wear & tear. :annoyed:

I was looking at this preloved Bottega Veneta bag. The seller took completely inadequate photos - only of the outside and not a single one showing the lining. Never mentioned anything about the lining in the description, either. I saw that the bag was quite worn on the outside, but hey, the price was low enough to get me interested. I assumed the lining must've been fine, mostly. Maybe there was some general wear and tear that's to be expected when it's an older bag. Thankfully, we could arrange a meet-up and I was able to look at the bag before purchasing. It had pen marks ALL OVER the interior. Light-colored suede was covered in blue, purple, and black ink everywhere.

Why would people do that to their bags? This wasn't just one pen with a loose cap or anything of the sort. I'm not even talking about selling a bag with such damage and not mentioning it anywhere. But why would people be okay with trashing their expensive, beautiful bag like that when there are pen cases of every size and color available in every bookstore? I know accidents happen, but this was no accident but the expected outcome of poorly made choices.

Re managed payments, I reluctantly decided to continue selling on eBay with the new system that requires more personal information and bank account details but at the last hurdle they insisted on photo ID. Is this usual?

ETA I’m in Australia and I’ve been selling with my one original eBay account for almost 15 years. No negative feedback or major drama ever. I contacted eBay chat and was advised that if I failed to verify with photo ID my account could possibly be suspended. So I took down my listings.
Kind of shocked and disappointed but that was a step too far for me
:frown:

I'm in a related eBay H*e*l*l at the moment in terms of their verification process. In my case, I've been in Managed Payments since before it was a requirement. Have used one and the same account for payouts, never changed. My last successful payout was June 9 and/but now, after my latest sale (and not a small amount) I'm impossible to verify on bank details, per them. Something must be up at their end.

I've been on eBay for 25 years (!), mostly as a buyer, and as an occasional seller have never had any defect. I've done everything but sext them at this point to provide verification of the account, including uploading a bank statement. Several lengthy CS phone calls; multiple screen shots saying I'm all set and they'll get in touch if they need further; and still they are holding my funds. And worst, everything I do to add verification info takes 2-3 business days. It's like being trapped in a Sartre play.
@BeenBurned any thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Sad
I'm in a related eBay H*e*l*l at the moment in terms of their verification process. In my case, I've been in Managed Payments since before it was a requirement. Have used one and the same account for payouts, never changed. My last successful payout was June 9 and/but now, after my latest sale (and not a small amount) I'm impossible to verify on bank details, per them. Something must be up at their end.

I've been on eBay for 25 years (!), mostly as a buyer, and as an occasional seller have never had any defect. I've done everything but sext them at this point to provide verification of the account, including uploading a bank statement. Several lengthy CS phone calls; multiple screen shots saying I'm all set and they'll get in touch if they need further; and still they are holding my funds. And worst, everything I do to add verification info takes 2-3 business days. It's like being trapped in a Sartre play.
@BeenBurned any thoughts?
Sorry I have no advice. I've been on MP for nearly a year also and haven't had any issues nor have I had to re-verify anything.

When you call, are you getting someone in the US?

Have you tried going to ebay's Facebook page and sending them a direct message? I've heard that a lot of users get successful responses.
eBay for Business

Reactions: jellyv