eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

As a eBay, Poshmark, Tradsey buyer, I never buy if my questions are not answered to my satisfaction….I mean sellers have to understand that when they are asking for several hundred dollars for an item, it is up to them to provide all requested info to successfully sell an item since unlike a brick and mother store where a buyer can tough, feel and inspect, this is not possible online…
Same here! In fact, today I got a reply from a Japanese Ebay seller to whom I'd sent a question.

Seller had a highly faked style of Coach bag. The picture of the creed appeared to have been purposely photoshopped making the serial number totally illegible yet the rest of the pictures were crystal clear and well focused.

After asking for a legible picture, this is his reply and my answer to him.

Seller's reply to my request for a clear picture: "I'm sorry, we don't support additional photo services.
The reason is that even if you add additional photos, the probability of purchasing is 0%."

My reply to seller: "That's fine. And the possibility of sale to someone who knows how highly faked Coach is is 0% too. I won't buy any item when pictures aren't adequate to verify authenticity and the seller isn't willing to provide them."

Last edited:
Why do buyers do this?!?!? Sheesh! When I make a purchase, I pay immediately.

Although I don't do many auction listings, I do it on occasion.

2 days ago, a buyer placed her bid on an item 5 seconds before the auction ended. Having placed her bid in the last 5 seconds, she was obvious online at the end of the auction. Invoice was sent at end of auction.

Yet 2 days have passed and still no payment!

Reactions: caannie
I feel your pain. I asked a couple of minor questions about a handbag on Posh. It was my second choice after the Ebay seller never responded to my questions about the first bag. Never got a response from the Posh seller so I never bothered to submit an offer. I just don't get it. List and disappear is a thing apparently. I ended up buying the bag brand new elsewhere.
I'm having similar experience on Poshmark. One seller hasn't answered my question which I posted twice. Another one got defensive when I asked if a $100 top had any flaws. She didn't say it was excellent or like-new in her posting - nothing about condition. but when I asked she responded by saying she would have posted flaws if she saw any. Sorry but with clothing one spot or hole can totally ruin it.

Why do buyers do this?!?!? Sheesh! When I make a purchase, I pay immediately.

Although I don't do many auction listings, I do it on occasion.

2 days ago, a buyer placed her bid on an item 5 seconds before the auction ended. Having placed her bid in the last 5 seconds, she was obvious online at the end of the auction. Invoice was sent at end of auction.

Yet 2 days have passed and still no payment!
Buyer might have used an automatic sniping service. That said, they should still respond to invoices, even if the response is "I'll pay you Friday." There are so many items I want to buy but I budget my spending by only buying things I can pay for on this credit card statement. Once the statement drops I can start buying again. So there are items I would like to bid on but I won't do it unless I can pay within a day or two.

Buyer might have used an automatic sniping service. That said, they should still respond to invoices, even if the response is "I'll pay you Friday." There are so many items I want to buy but I budget my spending by only buying things I can pay for on this credit card statement. Once the statement drops I can start buying again. So there are items I would like to bid on but I won't do it unless I can pay within a day or two.
Good point. I hadn't considering that she used a sniping service.

Within 1/2 hour of posting my peeve here, payment was made.

I'm having similar experience on Poshmark. One seller hasn't answered my question which I posted twice. Another one got defensive when I asked if a $100 top had any flaws. She didn't say it was excellent or like-new in her posting - nothing about condition. but when I asked she responded by saying she would have posted flaws if she saw any. Sorry but with clothing one spot or hole can totally ruin it.

I just don't buy if they won't answer questions.....Some of these sellers think they are the king....they never heard the phrase "the customer is always the king"....until they learn that, they will never sell anything except to a sucker...which may be what they are looking for to begin with..in which case, you should not be the sucker....

I am always fascinated by the attitude of sellers of expensive items when one asks for additional pictures or info and they blow you off.....do they really think there are willing buyers out there willing to part with hundreds of dollars for something they can't get enough information on, or additional pictures....really?

I really hate that sellers often don't know how much the service by Pitney Bowes costs. I'd buy a lot more from international sellers but it is way too much for shipping when PB is involved.

Also annoying: I ask some questions and therefore show interest and they jack up the price.
Okay, I'm not interested anymore, bye.

I really hate that sellers often don't know how much the service by Pitney Bowes costs. I'd buy a lot more from international sellers but it is way too much for shipping when PB is involved.

Also annoying: I ask some questions and therefore show interest and they jack up the price.
I'm in the UK and this seems to be the default option. I do use it but for convenience although I would change it if someone asked and ship directly. For the prices I've seen posted, it's reasonable for the service to be honest (UK to US that is, can't vouch for other countries). Many, many UK sellers won't touch overseas shipping so I guess it solves the problem for them.

I know it is expensive but it is the only way I feel safe shipping internationally. If a buyer complains or the package is lost or damaged, I could lose all the money I spent on postage as well as my item. With GSP, I only have to pay to get the item to the shipping center, and if it gets damaged or lost after that, it isn't my problem. Sometimes I'm surprised that my buyers are willing to pay so much for shipping, considering that most of my items aren't very expensive, so the shipping becomes a high percentage of the total cost.

I know it is expensive, but it is the only way I feel safe shipping internationally. If a buyer complains or the package is lost or damaged, I could lose all the money I spent on postage as well as my item. With GSP, I only have to pay to get the item to the shipping center, and if it gets damaged or lost after that, it isn't my problem. Sometimes I'm surprised that my buyers are willing to pay so much for shipping, considering that most of my items aren't very expensive, so the shipping becomes a high percentage of the total cost.

I totally understand this, as long as you are able to sell your items, it's surely okay for you. But there is insured shipping available without PB.
I don't have issues when it comes to expensive items, but I will never buy something that costs half the shipping.

Just for an example, this is a very small penny article with almost no weight, which will be sold for max USD 2-3 (if the seller is very lucky) - in this case I would have to pay this crazy fee for shipping AND about plus 10 USD for Taxes on top - (just an example, of course I don't buy such things overseas).

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 12-09-16 Vintage '80s Toy Perfume Bottles Plastic Loose Dolls Doll co...png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: lulilu
I'm in the UK and this seems to be the default option. I do use it but for convenience although I would change it if someone asked and ship directly. For the prices I've seen posted, it's reasonable for the service to be honest (UK to US that is, can't vouch for other countries). Many, many UK sellers won't touch overseas shipping so I guess it solves the problem for them.
If I buy from UK it is pretty okay, I buy often.

I totally understand this, as long as you are able to sell your items, it's surely okay for you. But there is insured shipping available without PB.
I don't have issues when it comes to expensive items, but I will never buy something that costs half the shipping.

Just for an example, this is a very small penny article with almost no weight, which will be sold for max USD 2-3 (if the seller is very lucky) - in this case I would have to pay this crazy fee for shipping AND about plus 10 USD for Taxes on top - (just an example, of course I don't buy such things overseas).

View attachment 5254837
I agree it is ridiculous. I'm lucky I don't have to rely on international buyers to sell my items.

Reactions: Sferics

Exactly! This has happened twice recently.

I asked a seller of a Valentino leather jacket to post measurements and no response. I’m not going to spend 2.5k if I don’t know how it fits.
Another seller of a Vince leather jacked I asked for pictures of the tags and was ghosted again.
How do people expect to sell stuff with limited info? Is much rather buy from other forums where I can return if it doesn’t fit