eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

Here's one. I was interested in a BIN sweater jacket and e-mailed the selling asking for measurements. She was quick to answer, but she was also quick to raise the BIN price by $40. Geez. Talk about great technique to drive away a potential customer.

Reactions: SakuraSakura
Here's one. I was interested in a BIN sweater jacket and e-mailed the selling asking for measurements. She was quick to answer, but she was also quick to raise the BIN price by $40. Geez. Talk about great technique to drive away a potential customer.

I can do you one better. I was told $1200 BIN for a particular item. Less than an hour later, after receiving addition questions/interest, the seller raised the BIN to... Get ready... $5000.

... The item ended at $1000. Hehe. :graucho:

I can do you one better. I was told $1200 BIN for a particular item. Less than an hour later, after receiving addition questions/interest, the seller raised the BIN to... Get ready... $5000.

Ha! Had the same thing happen, I expressed an interest to a seller, they immediately raised their BIN, I felt some satisfaction in seeing the final sale go for much lower.

Ha! Had the same thing happen, I expressed an interest to a seller, they immediately raised their BIN, I felt some satisfaction in seeing the final sale go for much lower.

It's like... There are sellers issuing "feeler" prices and once they feel a tiny fish on the line, they yank their pole right out of the lake. It's SO odd. :shrugs:

I mean, my price is what it is. If my item sells for more than I anticipated, awesome!!! :tup: But I never raise my BIN. If anything, I'll always drop it a bit if my items don't sell.

I know what you mean. I e-mailed a seller on Bonanza about an item, and right after she replied to me, I checked the listing, and she bumped the price up $20 and got rid of the OBO option! Talk about sleazy!

Oh! And while I'm at it -- here is a pet peeve. I have a $1500 item listed and just received a $200 offer. I mean.... Is that for real? :wtf:

That's so crazy! That's not even in the ballpark of being a reasonable offer! I remember when my dad put his house up for sale (not on ebay of course! lol) and it had the market value of around $500K and he received a call from an interested buyer who wanted to offer $80K for the house! Seriously some people don't know how to negotiate a price.

That's so crazy! That's not even in the ballpark of being a reasonable offer! I remember when my dad put his house up for sale (not on ebay of course! lol) and it had the market value of around $500K and he received a call from an interested buyer who wanted to offer $80K for the house! Seriously some people don't know how to negotiate a price.

Isn't it amazing? I would personally be humiliate and ashamed to offer something so insulting! :nogood:

My biggest peeve is buyers who don't leave feedback. As a seller I really want to know that the buyer is happy with their purchase and with no feedback you are just left to wonder....... and even if they don't want to leave fb so that they can resell the item, at least send me a short msg saying "thanks, received the XXXXXXX, very happy with the purchase"

I had something listed for $200 that I got a $1 offer for. Some people just aren't serious.

I know what you mean. I e-mailed a seller on Bonanza about an item, and right after she replied to me, I checked the listing, and she bumped the price up $20 and got rid of the OBO option! Talk about sleazy!

I'm shocked at how common this has become. It shows such a negligible grasp of human nature. One is simply not going to buy something with a price that is higher than it was yesterday. Especially when it comes to discretionary spending. Haven't they ever gone to a fleamarket where sellers drop their prices the longer you talk to them about an item?

Several of the big online retailers like Amazon have adopted this very technique though. They've put in place software that, if it detects sales or clicks on a particular item, automatically raises the item's price. For instance, a music CD that attracts interest during a weekend will have a higher price on Monday morning.

I think it's madness. I don't buy things that have a higher price than they did yesterday, even if it's just a few bucks. I feel like I'm being taken for a sucker, and I delete my bookmark of the item.

I'm shocked at how common this has become. It shows such a negligible grasp of human nature. One is simply not going to buy something with a price that is higher than it was yesterday. Especially when it comes to discretionary spending. Haven't they ever gone to a fleamarket where sellers drop their prices the longer you talk to them about an item?

Several of the big online retailers like Amazon have adopted this very technique though. They've put in place software that, if it detects sales or clicks on a particular item, automatically raises the item's price. For instance, a music CD that attracts interest during a weekend will have a higher price on Monday morning.

I think it's madness. I don't buy things that have a higher price than they did yesterday, even if it's just a few bucks. I feel like I'm being taken for a sucker, and I delete my bookmark of the item.

Seriously - isn't it disturbing? It's like going to the checkout with your groceries and having them ring your items up for more than what they were priced at. WTH. :confused1: