eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

A Hermes Handbag

I thought it was a mistake initially too but thru-out the listing it is written that it's local pu only. Isn't the seller severely limiting her buyers circle? And why would they want to do that? I don't get their thinking.

Here's the listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-...529133?hash=item5b2d72e7ed:g:5O4AAOSwFqJWnT0W
My guess is that the seller doesn't want to accept electronic payment and ship the item due to the risk of being scammed by a dishonest buyer claiming the bag is fake, or claiming they never received it, or any number of other unpleasant scenarios.

By offering local pickup only, accepting payment in cash on delivery, she is protecting herself. (She will also avoid the 2.9% PayPal processing fee.) The buyer is protected because she has the chance to inspect the bag in person, satisfy herself that it's authentic, etc.

A Hermes Handbag

I thought it was a mistake initially too but thru-out the listing it is written that it's local pu only. Isn't the seller severely limiting her buyers circle? And why would they want to do that? I don't get their thinking.

Here's the listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-...529133?hash=item5b2d72e7ed:g:5O4AAOSwFqJWnT0W

^^ Likely trying to limit fraud exposure.

May be a high end bag, but it's a VERY low end listing and I wouldn't even buy a $4 item from one like that. A 6,400 FB seller should know better.

My guess is that the seller doesn't want to accept electronic payment and ship the item due to the risk of being scammed by a dishonest buyer claiming the bag is fake, or claiming they never received it, or any number of other unpleasant scenarios.

By offering local pickup only, accepting payment in cash on delivery, she is protecting herself. (She will also avoid the 2.9% PayPal processing fee.) The buyer is protected because she has the chance to inspect the bag in person, satisfy herself that it's authentic, etc.
Yet nowhere in the listing or description does the seller state that payment must be in cash and in fact, her listing (automatically) shows this:
Payments:
logoPayPal_51x14.png
CC_icons.png

Credit Cards processed by PayPal

logoPaypalCredit_104x16.png

*$184 for 24 months. Minimum purchase required. See paymentdetails

Reactions: Addicted to bags
Yet nowhere in the listing or description does the seller state that payment must be in cash and in fact, her listing (automatically) shows this:
Payments:
logoPayPal_51x14.png
CC_icons.png

Credit Cards processed by PayPal

logoPaypalCredit_104x16.png

*$184 for 24 months. Minimum purchase required. See paymentdetails
Right, eBay requires that for BIN listings. I'm not sure what happens if someone tries to check out using PayPal. Do they get a message telling them to contact the seller about payment? Or can they pay electronically, and if the seller only wants to accept cash, she'd have to refund the payment and complete the transaction in person?

Right, eBay requires that for BIN listings. I'm not sure what happens if someone tries to check out using PayPal. Do they get a message telling them to contact the seller about payment? Or can they pay electronically, and if the seller only wants to accept cash, she'd have to refund the payment and complete the transaction in person?
This is currently discussed in the answer thread. Someone had a local pickup only and the buyer couldn't buy because immediate payment was required, even though the seller unchecked the box. She had specified cash on delivery. Ebay was no help when she called.

ETA: maybe they want the buyer to pay by paypal, have the seller refund, and then have the buyer pay again in person, so ebay doesn't get cheated out of their fees?

This is currently discussed in the answer thread. Someone had a local pickup only and the buyer couldn't buy because immediate payment was required, even though the seller unchecked the box. She had specified cash on delivery. Ebay was no help when she called.

ETA: maybe they want the buyer to pay by paypal, have the seller refund, and then have the buyer pay again in person, so ebay doesn't get cheated out of their fees?
Well either way its confusing for a buyer and since I can't do local pu she lost out on an early sale. Thanks for explaining it to me :wave:

Reactions: Catbird9
Well either way its confusing for a buyer and since I can't do local pu she lost out on an early sale. Thanks for explaining it to me :wave:
It’s a beautiful bag but not priced in line with pre loved Plumes. Usually they are 1500-2500. It’s also been listed with the same terrible door knob photos for well over a year, maybe two and I would never trust that the bag was even in the same condition after all this time. I completely understand the sellers reluctance to risk losing such a lovely bag with a scammer but the price and local pick up has scared away at least two honest buyers ( you and me :lol:) and probably many more.

But if the seller issues a full refund through the transaction, won't ebay think the sale was canceled and issue the FVF credit anyway?

But if the seller issues a full refund through the transaction, won't ebay think the sale was canceled and issue the FVF credit anyway?

I think so.

They don't have to prove it. They just do it.

The boards were crawling with cases where the item wasn't sold at all. In one case, the seller still had it and could prove it. Even posted pictures. They still got hit with the FVF. Alan and his Idiot Brigade simply spewed the company line ' you shuddn't had oughta' dun that'.

They don't prove nor do they need proof. They just ding if they suspect it.

They don't have to prove it. They just do it.

The boards were crawling with cases where the item wasn't sold at all. In one case, the seller still had it and could prove it. Even posted pictures. They still got hit with the FVF. Alan and his Idiot Brigade simply spewed the company line ' you shuddn't had oughta' dun that'.

Thanks for the insights. I don't follow the eBay boards so I miss a lot of these types of cases.