eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

Not a peeve but a question....... what seller rating do you consider too low to buy from that seller?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
It depends on the number of transactions, what the negative feedbacks actually say, and what the seller responded to them. Generally, big sellers often have feedback ratings of 97% and still usually provide good service. A newer seller can have one bad transaction that screws up their feedback terribly, but I still might not want to take a chance with them. I guess it depends on how much I really want the item.

Reactions: Kidclarke
Purchased a jacket that was described as "perfect condition". It arrived this morning and the lining has two tears and the leather has a scuff in the collar. I opened a case for return and the seller now said that's not the jacket he sent because the jacket he sent me has black lining, and maybe I mistook him for another seller and I should withdraw my request for return! I replied that the lining of the body is black, but the lining of the sleeves isn't. I know that eBay will most likely side with me on this but it's just really annoying since I was looking forward to the jacket. I even messaged the seller to ensure that the jacket was really in "perfect condition" and he assured me that it is.

Reactions: whateve
I purchased a bracelet that was NWOT and when I received it, it was literally broken! I requested a refund and a return label. The seller sent me a refund but not a label. So, I called EBAY and they said since the item was damaged and the seller sent me a refund,the case was closed and I didn’t have to pay to return the item. Well, now the seller is demanding the item back along with box and trinket she sent! I threw the stuff away! I feel bad but was told by Ebay that they would handle it and to not contact the seller. What the... ? Has this happened to any of you?

I purchased a bracelet that was NWOT and when I received it, it was literally broken! I requested a refund and a return label. The seller sent me a refund but not a label. So, I called EBAY and they said since the item was damaged and the seller sent me a refund,the case was closed and I didn’t have to pay to return the item. Well, now the seller is demanding the item back along with box and trinket she sent! I threw the stuff away! I feel bad but was told by Ebay that they would handle it and to not contact the seller. What the... ? Has this happened to any of you?
While I don't think you should have had to pay to return the item, I think it was wrong to throw it away. The seller made a mistake by not sending a label, and refunding before she got it back, but that doesn't mean she should be out both the money and the item.

Update: Seller insinuated that I damaged the jacket! According to her, 'I don't know how you managed to turn the sleeves inside out like that... hopefully you didn't destroy the jacket in the process.'"

Anyway, she accepted the return because "I guess those photos prove us wrong and that tear was there".

A similar situation happened to my mom, except she was the seller. She refunded the buyer immediately, which prevented a return label from being generated via eBay. Then she sent additional postage money via PayPal to the buyer so that she would return the item (a designer phone case). The buyer never returned the phone case, so my mom was out the item, money, and postage. The buyer insisted she would only return the item if a label was sent via eBay. That was impossible, according to eBay, since my mom had already refunded.

Last edited:
While I don't think you should have had to pay to return the item, I think it was wrong to throw it away. The seller made a mistake by not sending a label, and refunding before she got it back, but that doesn't mean she should be out both the money and the item.

I only threw away the box that came with the item and the trinket. The seller demands that if I don’t send those things along with the item, that I owe her full payment. Therefore, I would be out the money and then get stuck with a damaged item that is beyond repair. Then, if I send the item back I’m open to negative feedback. Not sure what to do! BTW- she refuses to send a label. EBAY told me she was obligated to pay for the return since the item was damaged. Catch 22

I only threw away the box that came with the item and the trinket. The seller demands that if I don’t send those things along with the item, that I owe her full payment. Therefore, I would be out the money and then get stuck with a damaged item that is beyond repair. Then, if I send the item back I’m open to negative feedback. Not sure what to do! BTW- she refuses to send a label. EBAY told me she was obligated to pay for the return since the item was damaged. Catch 22
Sellers can't leave anything but positive feedback for buyers. Also, if she refunded you, she cannot reverse it to charge you again.

If she won't send you a label, I personally would just send it back on my dime the cheapest possible way. A bracelet should be pretty light, so first class mail less than $3 just to check it off my "to do" list would be worth it to me.

Sellers can't leave anything but positive feedback for buyers. Also, if she refunded you, she cannot reverse it to charge you again.

If she won't send you a label, I personally would just send it back on my dime the cheapest possible way. A bracelet should be pretty light, so first class mail less than $3 just to check it off my "to do" list would be worth it to me.

Great advice, I had no idea. I’m a bit surprised that sellers can’t leave negative feedback. I called Ebay and they confirmed. Will send the item back and cross my fingers! Thanks for the reply.

Good point, maybe that happened and so the seller listed it based on perceived demand.... I should continue watching the item to see if it actually sells, but usually I delete it from my list after they raise the price, haha.

Whoa, more than twice as much!? That's just crazy! If I sell at a fixed price with best offer, I set it at the ideal price, and will generally accept an offer that is 10-20% below that. As a buyer I don't do lowball offers (I go by the 10-20% rule there too, ha), so it's only fair :smile:
I asked a question & the seller immediately raised the price by 25%! I passed.

Reactions: whateve

I agree. Since you received the money, you're only returning because you know it's not right to keep the item. A bracelet can be shipped by first class mail and shouldn't cost more than $3 to ship.

You can print the shipping label through paypal.com/shipnow

Reactions: holiday123