eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

I always pay immediately after winning which in turn prompts some of the fastest shipping you've ever seen.

Are you using the Unpaid Item Assistant to automatically open cases for you? It's a godsend. I have mine set to 2 days. It's pissed off a couple of dawdling buyers but it gets results. I highly recommend using it to save your sanity.
I use that too and while waiting for the process to complete (since eBay gives them forever to respond, pay or close case) I relist the item. Chances of it selling AND the other person paying at the same time are very slim.

I received a very nice offer on my most expensive item but it was from a buyer who joined ebay yesterday and has zero feedback. I've sold to zero feedback buyers before with no problems but only very small dollar items. This particular item is many hundreds of dollars and there is no way I'm going to take a chance on a random new person with zero feedback.
I know we all have to start somewhere and she/he may be a completely legitimate buyer but there have just been too many horror stories lately. So, that is my peeve with ebay. They have given buyers so much power that I'm not going to take a chance on a new member when I would have in the past. I have decided though to send this person a message about shipping and if they would be available to sign for delivery. I'm going to see if she/he responds and how they respond before likely declining the offer.

I always pay immediately after winning which in turn prompts some of the fastest shipping you've ever seen.

Are you using the Unpaid Item Assistant to automatically open cases for you? It's a godsend. I have mine set to 2 days. It's pissed off a couple of dawdling buyers but it gets results. I highly recommend using it to save your sanity.

Yes I had unpaid item assistant set for 2 days and like you it really pissed of a couple of buyers. One emailed me and said "Unpaid item case after 2 days..............really!!. I've NEVER not paid for an item purchased. Sellers should state in their listings how quickly they want payment" etc etc. I was even more annoyed by her response but daren't respond for FEAR of bad feedback so I bit the bullet and ignored her. I got paid and she left no feedback.

I've now added to all my listings "Payment within 48 hours please" more hassle AND I don't see why sellers should have to do this. If this is considered necessary EBay should add an easy tick box like they do for buyers info on despatch times!

I changed my unpaid item assistant to 3 days but I'm changing it back to 2 again ........Sooooo fed up! I think unpaid item strikes mean nothing to buyers anymore, they know EBay won't penalise them and they don't care.

After opening the unpaid item case you still have to wait FOUR days before you can close it, so you daren't re-list or offer to the next bidder. This is EBay's usual negative approach to sellers. It means you loose a week before you can re-list and will have obviously lost the others bidders interest. I've only ever had 2 buyers pay after opening an unpaid item case.

EBay needs to look at this. Does anyone else think waiting 4 days after opening a case is totally unreasonable ?

Last edited:
I use that too and while waiting for the process to complete (since eBay gives them forever to respond, pay or close case) I relist the item. Chances of it selling AND the other person paying at the same time are very slim.

Yep, totally agree. I usually list immediately for a higher amount with best offer just in case. If it's been an auction and I've the chance to offer it to another buyer I email them first and say the winner hasn't paid. I've been accused of trying to push up the bidding tho :annoyed:

I received a very nice offer on my most expensive item but it was from a buyer who joined ebay yesterday and has zero feedback. I've sold to zero feedback buyers before with no problems but only very small dollar items. This particular item is many hundreds of dollars and there is no way I'm going to take a chance on a random new person with zero feedback.
I know we all have to start somewhere and she/he may be a completely legitimate buyer but there have just been too many horror stories lately. So, that is my peeve with ebay. They have given buyers so much power that I'm not going to take a chance on a new member when I would have in the past. I have decided though to send this person a message about shipping and if they would be available to sign for delivery. I'm going to see if she/he responds and how they respond before likely declining the offer.

Yes, I think you are right to be wary but you'll probably get more of an idea what they are like from they're email response. EBay has become far too much in favour of the Buyers and they aren't doing enough to help sellers. I've started to move over my items to FB sellers groups now. I'm downsizing at home getting ready to move and I'll be so glad when I'm finished, mainly because of bad experiences selling on EBay, ................lots of little niggles. It's been a real eye opener. Sadly the bad buyers spoil it for the good which probably are the majority.

Reactions: youngster
Yes, I think you are right to be wary but you'll probably get more of an idea what they are like from they're email response. EBay has become far too much in favour of the Buyers and they aren't doing enough to help sellers. I've started to move over my items to FB sellers groups now. I'm downsizing at home getting ready to move and I'll be so glad when I'm finished, mainly because of bad experiences selling on EBay, ................lots of little niggles. It's been a real eye opener. Sadly the bad buyers spoil it for the good which probably are the majority.

I did not get a response so I declined the offer. I know a lot of people are moving over to FB seller groups and other places like Poshmark and Tradesy. I just have 1 or 2 items left to sell from my major closet purge and then I'm done with ebay for a good long while. Good luck with your selling on FB!

Here's a pet peeve:

Buyers who make up excuses for why they can't pay. I'd rather not hear from them. Especially when they are medically related. I just had someone, after finishing going back through the offer option and accepting an offer she had sent back within a minute of her offering, have her ignore me and not pay. Two days later, when the unpaid assistant opens she mails me saying she has suffered a stroke, can't pay for the item but I need to cancel the unpaid item case because I should make an exception for her medical situation. She has a few ebay feedbacks. I politely tell her no, the case will finish out, and she wants to argue that I need to cancel it without any penalty with her.

Some thoughts pop into my head:
1- If you had a stroke and were in the hospital, is sending me messages on eBay need to be your priority?
2- Not to call anyone a liar, but did she have a stroke a minute after she sent the last offer and I accepted? Really?

Not to come across mean but recently I had a family member and a co-worker both go through some serious unexpected surgeries and I don't like that people would use that as a way to manipulate to get what they want. I also would feel bad if I was wrong and she did have a stroke, but it just comes across like a way to get out of an unpaid strike. :sad:

As a seller how often do you find buyers are leaving you feedback?

It seems more and more buyers aren't bothering or don't want to commit. I don't think it's because I've done anything disappointing :angel: I pack things really well, despatch quickly and try to describe in detail.

It's on small items that it really bugs me, anything under £20 I post with proof of posting only. Buyers just don't want to pay the high cost of signed for but I've no way of knowing if/when it's arrived other than by feedback :graucho:
I noticed this too. I had a clear out over recent months, and noticed lots of buyers didnt leave me feedback. Even had a couple that messaged me to tell me they were v happy, and yet didn't leave feedback! Tends to be eBayers that buy only I've noticed.

Here's a pet peeve of mine...

When a seller lists a clothing item that is "New w/Tags" and their images of the item are of them modeling it.

Case in point, NWT VS PJ's which don't appear to be a VS model or stock photo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorias-S...515380?hash=item3ad0f05874:g:9T4AAOSwAuNW8cpT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorias-S...424482?hash=item3ad0289822:g:~oMAAOSwdU1W9~e-

Invest in a mannequin. :rolleyes:
I reported someone for this - the majority of her items were listed as New, and the descriptions said worn only once, or worn just a few times. One dress was described as having been washed. eBay didn't remove the listings. Hopeless.

Here's a pet peeve:

Buyers who make up excuses for why they can't pay. I'd rather not hear from them. Especially when they are medically related. I just had someone, after finishing going back through the offer option and accepting an offer she had sent back within a minute of her offering, have her ignore me and not pay. Two days later, when the unpaid assistant opens she mails me saying she has suffered a stroke, can't pay for the item but I need to cancel the unpaid item case because I should make an exception for her medical situation. She has a few ebay feedbacks. I politely tell her no, the case will finish out, and she wants to argue that I need to cancel it without any penalty with her.

1- If you had a stroke and were in the hospital, is sending me messages on eBay need to be your priority?
2- Not to call anyone a liar, but did she have a stroke a minute after she sent the last offer and I accepted? Really?

Not to come across mean but recently I had a family member and a co-worker both go through some serious unexpected surgeries and I don't like that people would use that as a way to manipulate to get what they want. I also would feel bad if I was wrong and she did have a stroke, but it just comes across like a way to get out of an unpaid strike. :sad:
No don't waste any time feeling bad. If something really serious happened ebay would be the last thing a genuine buyer would be worrying about.

Here's a pet peeve:

She wants you to feel bad! Don't! People who have just suffered a stroke are not on eBay buying stuff or haggling with sellers. They're in a hospital, fighting for their lives and worrying about whether they're going to regain major bodily functions. There are, sadly, many so-called "adults" who have never matured, emotionally, past the age of 7 when it comes to lying to get what they want. I've had the sob stories too: medical problems, financial problems, my little sister bid on the item .... some of them get really creative, too.

Maybe you should have stroke lady jump through some hoops -- ask for a notarized letter from her doctor!

Here's a pet peeve:

Totally agree. Plus why does the buyer even need to make up an excuse? They can ask you to cancel the transaction for any reason, or no reason, within the first hour after purchase.

Despite all eBay's rules about "bidding is a contract" or how buyers must pay for auctions they win, the above loophole makes it very easy for buyers to back out with no consequences.

I usually only sell using BIN (best offer not enabled). Recently I tried an auction for an item that was not moving. Sure enough, the winning bidder messaged me immediately after the auction ended and asked to cancel the transaction, claiming she "bid on the wrong item." :huh:

Grrrrrrr..............just sold the same item to the buyer that didn't pay last time & I had to open an unpaid item
dispute :facepalm: They haven't paid yet but the auction only ended yesterday so I guess there's still hope.

I must remember to exclude them from bidding next time but who would have thought :graucho:

Grrrrrrr..............just sold the same item to the buyer that didn't pay last time & I had to open an unpaid item
dispute :facepalm: They haven't paid yet but the auction only ended yesterday so I guess there's still hope.

I must remember to exclude them from bidding next time but who would have thought :graucho:
Good rule to follow: Prior to opening/closing UID, add non-payer's ID to your BBL. That will prevent this situation!

Good rule to follow: Prior to opening/closing UID, add non-payer's ID to your BBL. That will prevent this situation!

Yes it's definitely a good idea to remember to block them. It just didn't occur to me he'd buy it again!

Surprise, surprise he's paid this time.he purchased two items the first time but just the one this time

It just doesn't make sense as I emailed him and politely asked when I could expect payment, then again saying any problems please let me know or an unpaid item dispute would follow automatically after 3 days..................but not a word.

Reactions: BeenBurned
Latest peeve. Been trying to get a measurement on an expensive item. Asked politely, and after days am told "of course, I'll get back to you tomorrow", and the listing expired. I send another message, and nothing. Finally the third time the item is listed, I ask again. I need the measurement to ensure fit at shoulders. No response. Days later after the latest listing expired without bids, she responds with the sleeve measurement (NOT the shoulder measurement!) and re-lists at $500 higher than all her previous listings. UGH!! I still don't know if it would fit and I'm so sick of it I "unwatched" it.

Reactions: chicinthecity777