Ebay payment headache! Is this fraud or normal? Very worried!

Aug 20, 2006
Hello folks!
So, I purchased a lovely pair of Tiffany earrings off of ebay.
The seller was great and seemed to have fantastic feedback selling similar high priced items.
The seller didn't take paypal. That was fine.
I received an email saying "action required: payment" from ebay.
I followed all directions from ebay. Right under the amount owing in the 'review order' section it said "covered by ebay money back guarantee"
So, I went through with the payment right until the end.
I received an error message at the very end of the process from ebay saying the payment could not be processed at this time.

I called my credit card company and they confirmed that the payment went through.
The seller contacted me and said that payment has gone through.
I called ebay and they said they have NO record of my payment going through and that the ebay buyer protection will not be granted to me.
I lost my mind on the phone and said that they have to honor that because that's the ONLY way that the seller was paid was through ebay. I didn't pay any other way. I said I shouldn't be responsible for dealing with my cc because technically it is ebay's fault and their system that screwed up. So, ebay should be responsible for dealing with any issues.
I also added that ebay should care because if there's no record of a payment being made, then ebay doesn't make their money (no fees etc charged to seller). And that was a large purchase, so ebay loses out on quite a bit of cash.

I'm very scared right now as the transaction was a lot of money.
The seller doesn't seem fraudulent.
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Seems like you're leaving a lot out. Which site was this on? The .com site or one of the EU sites? Most sellers on the .com site are required to take PP unless they have their own merchant account. Does it show on your Purchase History page? What shows on your CC account as the payment source, PP or something else?

Seller ID?

Seems like you're leaving a lot out. Which site was this on? The .com site or one of the EU sites? Most sellers on the .com site are required to take PP unless they have their own merchant account. Does it show on your Purchase History page? What shows on your CC account as the payment source, PP or something else?

Seller ID?

Purchase was made through ebay.ca
the seller id is: derbyluxury
the cc account shows 'bens jewelry as the person I paid.
It does not show on my purchase history.
I just called my cc company and they said they'll back me. I have records showing that the seller was paid. And they said if they item sent is a fake or I don't receive my item they will give me my money back.
I didn't ask what the payment source was on my cc. I'll call them back and ask.
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: lallybelle

Seller ID?
also: how do I see whether the merchant has their own account?

I recently had it happen to me that I made a large eBay purchase and the seller didn't accept PayPal. I was unable to complete the purchase on the eBay App or on my cell phone through eBay mobile. I had to sit down at a computer to complete the transaction, which required I provide a credit card payment to my seller through eBay. The transaction completed fine and my item showed as paid. Check your purchase history on eBay and see if the transaction shows as paid. You are right, if eBay doesn't show the transaction as paid, how do they collect their fees? Do you get a non-paying bidder strike?

I recently had it happen to me that I made a large eBay purchase and the seller didn't accept PayPal. I was unable to complete the purchase on the eBay App or on my cell phone through eBay mobile. I had to sit down at a computer to complete the transaction, which required I provide a credit card payment to my seller through eBay. The transaction completed fine and my item showed as paid. Check your purchase history on eBay and see if the transaction shows as paid. You are right, if eBay doesn't show the transaction as paid, how do they collect their fees? Do you get a non-paying bidder strike?
Thanks for your feedback!
That's the issue: ebay doesn't show a record of this transaction yet, but my seller can.
I checked my payment history and it still says item unpaid.
Very odd

I realized after the fact that the seller didn't list PayPal as an accepted payment method, only credit cards. Another member of this board explained that means they have their own merchant account.
ah!
Is that usually a problem?
Should I be concerned? Or is that normal for some merchants to have their own account and everything is kosher?
Thanks!

I'm talking to my cc company right now.
They said that what could have happened is that the transaction hasn't been completely approved yet, so ebay might not see it. The transaction has only been authorized, but not paid out.
But I said, that's odd because technically my merchant says they see the purchase made.
The cc company also said that they don't see that the payment went through ebay, but a merchant (bens jewelry).
I asked them to cancel the transaction before it goes through, and they said that's not possible. They told me to wait until the transaction is posted and then I can dispute the charge if it's necessary.

I contacted ebay and they sent this email to the seller:
BTW: the reason I had an upaid case against me is that I've been having a lot of trouble paying on ebay (may error codes etc) for some weird reason. And each time I made the payment, my cc company flagged the issue and cancelled my transaction. I had to find time to contact my cc company to let them know it's okay to make the purchase go through. Blah! Lots of work and effort!

Anyways, here's the email:
Hi derbyluxury,

Thanks for Selling on eBay.

We wanted to let you know that we were contacted by sedatedrainbow about the item "Tiffany & Co. Large Victoria Diamond Earrings in Platinum" with the item number 362323767623. The buyer would like to ask you if you can mark the payment received. The buyer reported that you sent her an email stating that you already got the money for the transaction. The buyer is asking if you can Mark the Payment as received, remove the UPI case you opened against her and provide tracking once its available.

We asked the buyer to contact you directly.

Hopefully you'll be able to work things out with the buyer.

Please disregard this message if the situation has already been resolved.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

ah!
Is that usually a problem?
Should I be concerned? Or is that normal for some merchants to have their own account and everything is kosher?
Thanks!
This has only happened to me once but the transaction went through fine and I received my item. The difference is because PayPal isn't involved if there is a dispute I assume eBay can't put a hold on the funds since they don't have access to the credit card.

Yes your seller should mark the item as paid since you paid them, unless the transaction doesn't complete with your credit card company.

This has only happened to me once but the transaction went through fine and I received my item. The difference is because PayPal isn't involved if there is a dispute I assume eBay can't put a hold on the funds since they don't have access to the credit card.

Yes your seller should mark the item as paid since you paid them, unless the transaction doesn't complete with your credit card company.
I'm just fighting about the ebay money back guarantee with them right now. Essentially, if they don't honor that, then it's as if I paid outside of ebay. I argued with ebay that if that's the case, than I should have completely just paid outside of the system with my credit card. Then the seller could have taken the ebay fees off of the final amount I had to pay and I would have saved money. I said that should have happened since ebay washes their hands of any culpability with my transaction anyways.

Their response is that they're going to look into everything and have their technical department deal with this issue. Let's see what happens.

So, it doesn't show up in your purchases on MyEBay? I looked at the listing and it shows someone with 57 FB winning the auction. If that is you, then, it should show up on your EBay page. If so, what happens if you go to "pay" for it? Not that you would complete it again, but wondering if it allows you to try. If so, then, it seems like a big problem. Did this all happen on May 23? That is a long time for an EBay glitch.

Last edited: