Ebay of charged with cyberstalking of couple.

An Op-Ed by a former Ebay attorney:
Op-Ed From CLO of Turo Michelle Fang: Whatever. It. Takes. How eBay Lost Its Moral Compass

"...Monday we read with horror allegations in the DOJ’s criminal complaint that eBay’s then CEO remarked over emails and text to his chief communications officer about Steiner (the founder of EcommerceBytes, which covers stories on e-commerce companies and is regularly critical of eBay):

“Take her down.”

“F*ck them.”

“If you are ever going to take her down … now is the time.”

And does his chief communications officer instead suggest that a blogger’s stories aren’t worth getting so exercised about? Or that he will arrange to get some strong op-eds in major publications to make these stories look weak? Or that EcommerceBytes (formerly AuctionBytes) has been dogging eBay with negative press coverage since 1999 and while largely frustrating that is just the way the free press works? No. If the allegations are proven true, he fuels the fire:

“We are going to crush this lady.”

To make matters worse, he then forwards the big boss’ text command to “take her down” directly to the assembled security team led by Baugh. The CCO allegedly tells Baugh’s team he will take any heat from risky actions:

“Anything we can do to solve it should be explored.”

I want to “see ashes.”

“Whatever. It. Takes”

Baugh and his assembled team appear all too eager to appease and please the CEO and the CCO in their alleged thirst for Steiner’s destruction..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Shelby33 and limom
An Op-Ed by a former Ebay attorney:
Op-Ed From CLO of Turo Michelle Fang: Whatever. It. Takes. How eBay Lost Its Moral Compass

"...Monday we read with horror allegations in the DOJ’s criminal complaint that eBay’s then CEO remarked over emails and text to his chief communications officer about Steiner (the founder of EcommerceBytes, which covers stories on e-commerce companies and is regularly critical of eBay):

“Take her down.”

“F*ck them.”

“If you are ever going to take her down … now is the time.”

And does his chief communications officer instead suggest that a blogger’s stories aren’t worth getting so exercised about? Or that he will arrange to get some strong op-eds in major publications to make these stories look weak? Or that EcommerceBytes (formerly AuctionBytes) has been dogging eBay with negative press coverage since 1999 and while largely frustrating that is just the way the free press works? No. If the allegations are proven true, he fuels the fire:

“We are going to crush this lady.”

To make matters worse, he then forwards the big boss’ text command to “take her down” directly to the assembled security team led by Baugh. The CCO allegedly tells Baugh’s team he will take any heat from risky actions:

“Anything we can do to solve it should be explored.”

I want to “see ashes.”

“Whatever. It. Takes”

Baugh and his assembled team appear all too eager to appease and please the CEO and the CCO in their alleged thirst for Steiner’s destruction..."
I want to see them take him down.

Reactions: skyqueen
It isn't like we didn't know the place was run by crooks.

Wondering though if this is why Whiney quit, or if it was over something else.

There are a few articles in Fortune Magazine's site that I came across on the subject, but they're behind a paywall. Their opinion is that it was caused by a number of actual business-related reasons, but investigation of Wenig's part in the stalking and the emails he sent to the perps was a strong factor in kicking his arrogant arse out the door as soon as his part became known and it was confirmed by his emails. A google search for "why did ebay remove wenig as CEO?" should bring up some of the more public answers.

It beats me why they just didn't sic the Feds on him and save themselves the cost of that 57 million dollar golden parachute. I hope the Feds have enough evidence on him to boil him in oil, and add the other ex-management scumbags to the serving platter as a garnish.

Ironic, Henry II Plantagenet indirectly sicced his knights on Thomas a Becket and was made to do public penance including physical beatings by the bishops and monks of Canterbury. Wenig walks away with 57 Million bucks. Who said that crime doesn't pay?

Reactions: Shelby33
My girlfriend recently began selling on eBay and heard about this from someone she follows on YouTube. I read a few articles before coming here.
I have no words.
Edited - Okay I take that back, lol. I do have words. Take her down reminds me of Christie's administration and Bridgegate. Arrogant, bully mentality, government version. if you are outside of the NJ region, search NJ, Chris Christie and Bridgegate and the info should come up.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight - if I buy a fake Coach bag, I can expect eBay to protect me as a buyer and to direct their seller to refund my money. But I write an article expressing my opinion about eBay ( Oh, wait, what's that called? Oh yes, FREE SPEECH! Involving something else written a ways back, oh yes, THE CONSTITUTION) I can expect someone from eBay to contact a medical supply company and order a fetal pig to be delivered to me? And of course, will they be invoicing me for shipping of said fetal pig?
Shout out to the supply company ( I have taught college biology courses using preserved specimens so I know exactly what the drill is), for what appears to be questioning the order placed by these not-yet-officially-labelled criminals.
Now I'm done.

So let me get this straight - if I buy a fake Coach bag, I can expect eBay to protect me as a buyer and to direct their seller to refund my money. But I write an article expressing my opinion about eBay ( Oh, wait, what's that called? Oh yes, FREE SPEECH! Involving something else written a ways back, oh yes, THE CONSTITUTION)
What's even more ironic is that this was one of Devin Wenig's tweets from a couple of weeks ago.
Devin Wenig tweet.png

Sending this couple a copy of a book about grieving the loss of a spouse, beyond all the other harassment and threats, is SO SO far over the line. It's basically a death threat. I have been speechless watching this unfold. This is a corporation???

Reactions: BeenBurned
Has anyone seen or heard about this on either the local or national TV news?
Yes, it's on our local (Boston) news (all the local stations) because we live in the area of the victims.

ETA:
I should clarify. It was widely covered when the charges were first publicized.

And it was covered again this past week when a fifth person was charged.

Because the hearings will be local, I expect there will be a lot of coverage when that happens.

Last edited:
Yes, it's on our local (Boston) news (all the local stations) because we live in the area of the victims.

ETA:
I should clarify. It was widely covered when the charges were first publicized.

And it was covered again this past week when a fifth person was charged.

Because the hearings will be local, I expect there will be a lot of coverage when that happens.
Wow! I've not heard it covered on the NY news stations! Thanks @BeenBurned