eBay Newbie Seeking Help for PayPal Dispute Unauthorized Purchased

Jun 18, 2012
Hi Everyone.

First off, Happy New Year and Thank you for reading my post.

On 11/24 I sold a brand new Dolce Gabana Dress for $599.99 (item 262719245177). I shipping immediately with delivery confirmation and insurance for full amount via USPS. I did not include signature confirmation since it was less than $750. The item was showed delivered on 11/30, left with individual. Fast forward to today, I logged into PayPal and saw that there is a negative balance and that I have an open dispute with this transaction. I went to the resolution center and saw no open cases. I called PayPal and the rep assured me that i have seller protection, that she can see that the item has been delivered, and that they will work with the buyer and credit card company to resolve the issue. I've also asked if there's anything they need from me for the case and she said no. In the meantime, they have temporarily released the money so that I wouldn't have a negative balance.

I've read a lot of horror stories on EBay and PayPal and I'm just worried. $599 is a lot of money. The phone call to PayPal seems to go too well based on the stories I've read here. I'm wondering if the rep is only telling me what I want to hear. I'm seeking for advice and opinions from experts in this forum on my case. This is my first time experiencing something like this. Im wondering if I'm just worrying too much and should trust PayPal to do their job.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and advice.

While you should be fine, the rep you spoke to is probably telling you what you want to hear. You are correct in not paying for or getting s.c. You didn't need it for protection.

Go to the transaction in Paypal and look at the details. For seller protection, does it show "eligible?" If so, that means that as long as you shipped to and have delivery proof for the shipping address in the payment, you're protected against unauthorized use chargebacks.

What did the email you received say? Does it specifically say that the dispute is for an unauthorized transaction? Or is it a SNAD dispute. You aren't protected against chargebacks for SNAD though buyers are supposed to go through ebay or PP for SNAD.

If the dispute is for SNAD, that's a lot harder to win when it's a chargeback situation.

More info is needed.

While you should be fine, the rep you spoke to is probably telling you what you want to hear. You are correct in not paying for or getting s.c. You didn't need it for protection.

Go to the transaction in Paypal and look at the details. For seller protection, does it show "eligible?" If so, that means that as long as you shipped to and have delivery proof for the shipping address in the payment, you're protected against unauthorized use chargebacks.

What did the email you received say? Does it specifically say that the dispute is for an unauthorized transaction? Or is it a SNAD dispute. You aren't protected against chargebacks for SNAD though buyers are supposed to go through ebay or PP for SNAD.

If the dispute is for SNAD, that's a lot harder to win when it's a chargeback situation.

More info is needed.

Beenburned, thank you so much for responding to my inquiry. I checked PayPal and it does say that I am eligible for seller protection. Additionally, the email from PayPal stated that the case is for "buyer stated that they did not authorize the purchase."

I'm speculating that the buyer filed this case because they are outside EBay 30 day protection and my 14 day return policy.

I'd call paypal again, refer them to the transaction and the fact that it shows eligibility for s.p. and the fact that the item was shipped to the buyer at the address shown. Tell them to remove the hold and release your funds per their own policy.

Let me warn you that they may remove and reinstate the hold several times before you permanently have your money back. Each time they reinstate the hold, you'll have to call them back and repeat the mantra above.

Please post this PITA buyer's name so those who sell can block her!

Reactions: new.old.bag
I'd call paypal again, refer them to the transaction and the fact that it shows eligibility for s.p. and the fact that the item was shipped to the buyer at the address shown. Tell them to remove the hold and release your funds per their own policy.

Let me warn you that they may remove and reinstate the hold several times before you permanently have your money back. Each time they reinstate the hold, you'll have to call them back and repeat the mantra above.

Please post this PITA buyer's name so those who sell can block her!

PayPal has released my fund (for now). I will keep an eye on my account in case they reinstated the hold again. Thanks!

Buyer name is mnmtrader1

Reactions: BeenBurned
I'm speculating that the buyer filed this case because they are outside EBay 30 day protection and my 14 day return policy.

It is also possible that it was a hacked eBay account and a hacked credit card account. The timing would make sense because the credit card user would not realize the charge had been made until he/she received the bill. In any case, Paypal seller protection protects you against this kind of activity.

Reactions: new.old.bag
It is also possible that it was a hacked eBay account and a hacked credit card account. The timing would make sense because the credit card user would not realize the charge had been made until he/she received the bill. In any case, Paypal seller protection protects you against this kind of activity.
But doesn't a seller have to ship to the address associated with the PP account in order to qualify for protection? Since OP said PP confirmed she qualified for seller protection doesn't that mean seller shipped to correct address? How would a hacker or identify thief get a hold of the package unless they also have access to the mailbox?

But doesn't a seller have to ship to the address associated with the PP account in order to qualify for protection? Since OP said PP confirmed she qualified for seller protection doesn't that mean seller shipped to correct address? How would a hacker or identify thief get a hold of the package unless they also have access to the mailbox?

You're correct, I shipped to the confirmed address on PayPal. The packaged was signed by someone at the address, not left in a mailbox.

Personally I don't think the account was hacked. I check all my credit card accounts several times a week. In this day and age where everyone has a smart phone and/or computer, it makes no sense to me how someone doesn't know there's an unauthorized charge for 30+ days.

As an update, my case is still being reviewed by PayPal; however, my fund is "released".

No, it doesn't mean that. My credit card number was stolen and used on ebay for a purchase. The shipping address was in Morocco; I live in the US. The hacker didn't use my Paypal account, but they used a credit card I had associated with my Paypal account. Because of this, Paypal sent me confirmation of the ebay order. When I called Paypal to tell them I didn't do it, I asked them if the seller would have seen a confirmed shipping address. The rep told me that confirmed just means the address exists, not that it matches the one on the credit card.
You're correct, I shipped to the confirmed address on PayPal. The packaged was signed by someone at the address, not left in a mailbox.

Personally I don't think the account was hacked. I check all my credit card accounts several times a week. In this day and age where everyone has a smart phone and/or computer, it makes no sense to me how someone doesn't know there's an unauthorized charge for 30+ days.

As an update, my case is still being reviewed by PayPal; however, my fund is "released".
I don't check my credit card accounts several times a week. Not everyone does this. Not everyone has a smart phone. Even though I have online accounts set up for my credit cards, I usually don't check them unless there is an issue. You can have a credit card and not set up an online account. My husband uses credit cards but he would be clueless as to how to check the billing activity online.

I've had the same issue you're having with a sale I made. If there is a place to respond to the dispute, upload the tracking number. Paypal already has this information but just in case, add that information to the dispute to make sure you are protected. I remember I had to do that when I had a similar dispute.

No, it doesn't mean that. My credit card number was stolen and used on ebay for a purchase. The shipping address was in Morocco; I live in the US. The hacker didn't use my Paypal account, but they used a credit card I had associated with my Paypal account. Because of this, Paypal sent me confirmation of the ebay order. When I called Paypal to tell them I didn't do it, I asked them if the seller would have seen a confirmed shipping address. The rep told me that confirmed just means the address exists, not that it matches the one on the credit card.

I don't check my credit card accounts several times a week. Not everyone does this. Not everyone has a smart phone. Even though I have online accounts set up for my credit cards, I usually don't check them unless there is an issue. You can have a credit card and not set up an online account. My husband uses credit cards but he would be clueless as to how to check the billing activity online.

I've had the same issue you're having with a sale I made. If there is a place to respond to the dispute, upload the tracking number. Paypal already has this information but just in case, add that information to the dispute to make sure you are protected. I remember I had to do that when I had a similar dispute.

Based on what you said, it may be possible that this person eBay account was hacked. But let me ask you this: if you hacked into someone else's eBay account, does it give u option to change the email address associated with the eBay account? Does it give u an option to change email address associated with PayPal?

Whenever I purchased something from eBay, I would get an email from eBay. If I paid with PayPal, I would also get an email from PayPal for my payment. Once the item is shipped, I would get another email from PayPal and/eBay that my item is shipped. How would you miss all those emails for over 30 days?

Or let say this scenario is similar like yours where the buyer's credit card info was stolen, wouldn't she then also get a confirmation email from PayPal like u did? And if she did receive the email, wouldn't she call/notify PayPal right away instead of waiting over a month?

I guess I find it hard to believe that one can go that long and not knowing someone stole $600 from u.

With regards to my case, ive shipped to the confirmed addressed on PayPal, I uploaded tracking showing it was delivered. PayPal stated I'm eligible for seller protection. There isn't anything else I can do; they are reviewing the case. So it's just waiting for their resolution at the moment.

With regards to my case, ive shipped to the confirmed addressed on PayPal, I uploaded tracking showing it was delivered. PayPal stated I'm eligible for seller protection. There isn't anything else I can do; they are reviewing the case. So it's just waiting for their resolution at the moment.
^^^^ THis. As long as you ship to the "ship to" address that the payment details show, as long as the details page shows "eligible" for seller protection, you have s.p. in the event of an unauthorized chargeback.

I do not check my cards all of the time. But, I have it set up that I receive notification of any purchase over $25. Also, one of my credit card companies called me once, a long time ago, while I was on vacation, to confirm that I was using the card. out of state. I have stayed with them and they are the first ones that offered me the option of the text notifications.

Based on what you said, it may be possible that this person eBay account was hacked. But let me ask you this: if you hacked into someone else's eBay account, does it give u option to change the email address associated with the eBay account? Does it give u an option to change email address associated with PayPal?

Whenever I purchased something from eBay, I would get an email from eBay. If I paid with PayPal, I would also get an email from PayPal for my payment. Once the item is shipped, I would get another email from PayPal and/eBay that my item is shipped. How would you miss all those emails for over 30 days?

Or let say this scenario is similar like yours where the buyer's credit card info was stolen, wouldn't she then also get a confirmation email from PayPal like u did? And if she did receive the email, wouldn't she call/notify PayPal right away instead of waiting over a month?

I guess I find it hard to believe that one can go that long and not knowing someone stole $600 from u.

If it was really an unauthorized purchase, I would bet most hackers wouldn't hack into Paypal and use someone's Paypal account as that would be more difficult and leave more of an audit trail. They would more likely steal a credit card number and use that. You don't have to have a paypal account to buy from ebay. If you use a credit card, Paypal creates an account for you on the fly. If the credit card owner didn't have that credit card registered with Paypal, they would have no idea it was being used fraudulently unless they checked their charge account often.

Some one who steals a credit card for an online purchase has to figure out where to ship the item so they won't be caught. They can't set it up to ship to their own house. My hacker had his purchase shipped outside of the country, which gave him some protection. If they have it shipped within the US, they might have it shipped to a vacant house that they monitor. They could even have it delivered to the card holder's house and just make sure to intercept it when the cardholder wasn't home.

UPDATE: I logged into my PayPal account today to check on the status of this case. PayPal has updated the case with the following message:

"Based on the proof we received, we can't cover this payment disputes. However, we may be able to recover the payment from the buyer's financial institution."

I'm currently on hold with PayPal hoping to get clarification. Meanwhile, does anyone have any insights on what this means? So far, PayPal has not reinstated any holds on my $. Thanks for your help!!!