ebay lets you retract bids?!

pinkiwi

Sep 12, 2009
I thought before you place your bid, ebay asks if you are sure you want to enter that amount before you confirm??

Bc I have a bidder who retracted with the reasoning "entered wrong amount", and I didn't know this was possible to do.

I'm upset that this would be possible bc then the idea of bidding is like a joke since you can just retract it when you change your mind. Every time before I bid I spend a lot of time thinking whether I really want the item (so I won't return later) and whether I will be able to pay, and I thought this was how eBay works...

I agree that you should only bid if you intend to follow through with the transaction if you win. However, retracting a bid because the bidder entered the wrong amount doesn't seem unreasonable. Unfortunately, there are people who will abuse the ability to retract bids.

Did this person bid again with the correct amount? If they retracted with the "wrong amount" reason then didn't bid again, I'd wager they changed their minds.

Unfortunately this happens all the time. It's reportable to eBay if they put an invalid reason such as "wrong amount" but fail to bid again with the correct amount. I haven't seen fbay actually do anything about it though- seems to be one of the most abused retraction reasons from what I've seen. :nogood:

i buy and sell on ebay....i have retracted my bid one time in the last few years....and this was only because after emailing the seller several times he never responded to my questions...i just did not feel comfortable going thru with it...he had various negatives as well....that being said it is not fair of a buyer to retract just to see the price on the bag or something....it should be a valid reason

Since Ebay allows seller's to cancel bids I think it's only fair that buyer's can cancel their bids as well. Ebay only gives a couple options to choose from, one is the 'entered wrong amount' and I think the other is something like 'no communication from seller'. So they probably just picked one of the two since there's no option for 'changed mind'. :smile:

I've retracted a bid because I bid on an item, then after looking at it in other areas for sale I realized the seller had the measurements off and it was much larger than what I was looking for. It was a make-up case. I could have asked the seller to cancel my bid but I didn't want to take the chance on them ignoring my request and then it becoming too late to cancel.

Linda

Buyers can retract bids unless it's within 12 hours of the closing auction, then they need seller approval to retract bids. The policy says if you "enter the wrong amount" you have to rebid immediately, but no one ever does that.

Some people retract bids when they're working with someone else to lower the auction...shill or shield bidding I think.

I'm a seller and I cancel bids if they're registered in another country or if they have less than 10 feedback and don't contact me first if my listing says that (typically on the high end stuff). And I immediately block them.

If you have a buyer retracting bids, chances are they're more likely to skip out on paying if they win. I'd block them.

And yes, this whole retracting bids thing is ridiculous.

Since Ebay allows seller's to cancel bids I think it's only fair that buyer's can cancel their bids as well.

ITA!!!! it should be the same - if we don't feel comfortable dealing with a seller and think it will be a problem we should be allowed to do the same!

I've retracted my bid once or twice - once when I truly did enter the wrong amount (I think I put an extra digit in... but I did actually rebid immediately).

The other was when I bid, but then noticed that the seller's photos were shady - one was a stock photo that they photoshopped to make look like it had a different background & stuff, and the other I found out was stolen from another seller (thanks to the ladies on tpf). I retracted as soon as I realized it. So there are many reasons... but sometimes buyers are just shady too!

It is fair for ebay to allow both sides to cancel bids. HOWEVER, buyers abuse that options WAY too often. Buyers are using it for the wrong reasons. Everything that kells said...I completely agree! However, that's just one good person using it for what it's meant for. Buyers are using it for the wrong reasons. Ebay should do something more than have you check a box without following through with the buyer.