eBay items removed due to authenticity issue

Annelb2003

May 25, 2014
Hi everyone, so sorry but I just had to get this off my chest. It's not a big deal and we're not talking thousands but I feel so let down by EBay. I buy but mainly sell on EBay occasionally. Yesterday I listed two small Louis Vuitton items that I want to sell because I have not used them at all since I bought them. I was hoping to make a bit of money before the weekend as we are off for a family weekend away. One item was an LV bandeau which I purchased off the LV website in September but haven't used as I ended up returning the bag I wanted it to match with. Obviously I have the receipt (in my name) from LV and I posted a picture of this receipt (but left the name info out of course) on the listing. The second item was just an LV luggage tag which of course may not sell anyway as it has my initials on it but it was purchased in the LV boutique in Selfridges and again I have the Selfridges LV till receipt for it of which I posted a picture on the listing as well. After an hour or so both listings were removed by EBay and in an email they told me there was an issue with authenticity and also something about not enough description/images. But I always post lots of pics and have whole stories in the description box, so I don't understand. I can also 100% guarantee authenticity and have proof of purchase for both items. When I called EBay I was told that it may take up to 72 hours for the relevant team to look into. I know I shouldn't take this personally but I kinda do :sad:. It's so frustrating when you are 100% honest and people don't believe you. I'm sure it will get resolved eventually as I firmly believe justice will be done lol but in the meantime I am actually getting quite angry with the procedure and regulations of EBay. I asked if I could raise a complaint about this and was given a PO Box address in Dublin to write to (I am in England), so there is also not anybody to talk or even sent an email to. So sorry for the rant, I know it's not a big issue but I feel hard done by and just had to get it off my chest :sad:.

In the case Vernis-lover referred to, the seller didn't buy directly from LV so should have authenticated the item (just to be 100% sure) before listing it.

In the OP's case, there should have been no reason to authenticate it since she bought directly from LV.

OP, how many pictures did you include? Did you take advantage of all 12 pictures that ebay allows to be uploaded? Were they crystal clear closeups of the parts of the items as outlined in post #1 the ATLV thread? Were the pictures straight on so fonts and spacing weren't distorted by an angled shot?

If you can answer affirmatively to the questions, I'd recommend a professional authentication and submit that to ebay.

In the case Vernis-lover referred to, the seller didn't buy directly from LV so should have authenticated the item (just to be 100% sure) before listing it.

In the OP's case, there should have been no reason to authenticate it since she bought directly from LV.

OP, how many pictures did you include? Did you take advantage of all 12 pictures that ebay allows to be uploaded? Were they crystal clear closeups of the parts of the items as outlined in post #1 the ATLV thread? Were the pictures straight on so fonts and spacing weren't distorted by an angled shot?

If you can answer affirmatively to the questions, I'd recommend a professional authentication and submit that to ebay.

It's rare you will get ebay to change their mind on UK listings. Lord knows I spent long enough trying when they pulled the same nonsense on me with listings with 30+ photos in precise clear detail, original receipts etc. I send my few bits off to consignment these days.

Thanks for your response! I have sold an LV bag before and used all 12 pictures but in these cases because they are such small items, I made sure I put images of all details required. I put about 6 pictures for the bandeau and 5 for the luggage tag but from all angles and paperwork and LV label on the bandeau etc. I understand what you're saying about authentication but as I just know these items are 100% authentic and I have proof of purchase in my name, my pride is hurt and if they don't resolve it, I guess I will just keep the items or sell them locally. Perhaps just my pride when you are truthful and people don't believe you :smile:

It's rare you will get ebay to change their mind on UK listings. Lord knows I spent long enough trying when they pulled the same nonsense on me with listings with 30+ photos in precise clear detail, original receipts etc. I send my few bits off to consignment these days.

Really? That's good to know and it makes me feel a little better :smile:. Well if they don't change their mind then that's their loss as that's then the last time I have used EBay. Consignment I guess is not really an option for such small items as mine but I am sure I can find a local site to sell...or hold on to the items for the time being

Sheesh, Vernis-lover. That stinks that ebay won't allow reinstatement of listings even when documentation is submitted to prove they erred.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, OP.

Yeah, but I'd fight this one. I certainly wouldn't lie down and take it without giving it my all.

Squeaky wheel and all that.....KWIM?

There are times when you have to be aggressive & prove your "point about your
items being authentic"..

You can have the item authenticted if you are inclined to do so to make your
point & sometimes Ebay will recognize their error & allow you to relist.

This is entirely up to you...sorry this happened..

There are times when having an item authenticated for a small fee &
putting that info in a listing will not only put a buyer at ease & but also prevent those from
reporting a listing as not being authentic.

There are times when you have to be aggressive & prove your "point about your
items being authentic"..

You can have the item authenticted if you are inclined to do so to make your
point & sometimes Ebay will recognize their error & allow you to relist.

This is entirely up to you...sorry this happened..

There are times when having an item authenticated for a small fee &
putting that info in a listing will not only put a buyer at ease & but also prevent those from
reporting a listing as not being authentic.

I see your point but at the same time because I know I am right, I get stubborn because I feel I shouldn't have to proof it. If it were more expensive items I probably would spend a fee to have them authenticated. I am hoping now that showing the LV receipt with my name and address details (the same as for my EBay account) will be enough.

I see your point but at the same time because I know I am right, I get stubborn because I feel I shouldn't have to proof it. If it were more expensive items I probably would spend a fee to have them authenticated. I am hoping now that showing the LV receipt with my name and address details (the same as for my EBay account) will be enough.

There is a principle involved no question here... but being stubborn
doesn't get your item re- listed when its authenticity comes into question &
yes you should not have to prove it. The receipt should be ample
but as we have seen here on the forum that receipts can be faked
& no way am I inferring that with your item, but this is what sellers
are up against now.

Ebay is different today from yesteryear & many sellers will take that extra
step to prove authenticity of their item by having it authenticated by a third
party & most know who to use from ebay's approved list. For a small
fee its worth it for many & eliminates the frustration that you are feeling.

With certain items such as LV & with LV fakes in the marketplace, this
is one way for Ebay not to question authenticity about your item.

Hope you can get your item relisted...Keep us posted

There is a principle involved no question here... but being stubborn
doesn't get your item re- listed when its authenticity comes into question &
yes you should not have to prove it. The receipt should be ample
but as we have seen here on the forum that receipts can be faked
& no way am I inferring that with your item, but this is what sellers
are up against now.

Ebay is different today from yesteryear & many sellers will take that extra
step to prove authenticity of their item by having it authenticated by a third
party & most know who to use from ebay's approved list. For a small
fee its worth it for many & eliminates the frustration that you are feeling.

With certain items such as LV & with LV fakes in the marketplace, this
is one way for Ebay not to question authenticity about your item.

Hope you can get your item relisted...Keep us posted

Thanks Hotshot, will do!

Well last night I received an email from EBay explaining what I need to do to improve my listing (more pics, put in the description that the item is 100% authentic) and if I do this EBay is happy for me to relist the items. So as I was about to do so just now, I received a second email from EBay (from another person) which stated that they cannot disclose why my items were removed and that they advise me NOT to relist the items. Wow, I am well confused!!:sad: