Ebay item worth max $90, sold for $610?...

Jun 8, 2008
This has never happened to myself in my entire Ebay career. First off, the item I was selling was a Juicy Couture starter charm bracelet. Okay, the tag says $75 because I bought it from the Bay, but I was only selling for a starting bid at around ~$40.

I check back online today, and not only did my item sell, but it sold for $610. Okay, red flag. I look into the bids and there were two bidders, both zero feedback, one of them joined today (the buyer who won), but I can't check out the other seller's join date.

Is this a scam? I don't know how to proceed...if they DO end up paying, I am afraid of what could happen if I shipped the item? I am guessing they won't pay, but the bids are incremental until the end...

Very confused and would like to hear any advice.;)

:huh: I would definitely think they would not pay. Hopefully the listing was very clear that this was costume jewelry, and not real gold (assuming it's the gold starter bracelet). Otherwise, I have no idea why two people would bid that high.

Why can't you see the other buyer's membership date? As seller, you have access to the "real" IDs and if you click on the feedback, it should show the date the account was opened.

Do an advanced search and see what other items they might be bidding on. Also check to see if they're from the same state. It just could be someone playing games.

If they pay and if the transaction shows seller protection eligible and "okay to ship," you'll be fine as long as you ship to the address on the pp payment. You need to get s.c. since the price is $250 or more. And depending on your comfort level in the event of loss of the item in the mail, you might want to consider insurance, though that's not required.

:huh: I would definitely think they would not pay. Hopefully the listing was very clear that this was costume jewelry, and not real gold (assuming it's the gold starter bracelet). Otherwise, I have no idea why two people would bid that high.

I didn't even think of this! But I do have it listed as plated gold, and I even took a picture of the $75 price tag that's on the Juicy box :S

Why can't you see the other buyer's membership date? As seller, you have access to the "real" IDs and if you click on the feedback, it should show the date the account was opened.

Do an advanced search and see what other items they might be bidding on. Also check to see if they're from the same state. It just could be someone playing games.

If they pay and if the transaction shows seller protection eligible and "okay to ship," you'll be fine as long as you ship to the address on the pp payment. You need to get s.c. since the price is $250 or more. And depending on your comfort level in the event of loss of the item in the mail, you might want to consider insurance, though that's not required.

For some reason, it didn't show up on my phone but now on a laptop I see the other buyer joined January 10, 2013 (5 days prior to the other buyer joining).

Thanks for the tip of the advanced search - I never used it before! I found out the buyer who won the bid only ever bid on my item. The other buyer bid on Nikes, another Juicy necklace, and AIR Jordans.

They are both from the US and I am located in Canada. :S

There has been a buyer from the US scamming sellers and particular juicy charms if I remember correctly. Do a search and the thread(s) should come up. Im on my phone or I would have tried to find it for you.

There has been a buyer from the US scamming sellers and particular juicy charms if I remember correctly. Do a search and the thread(s) should come up. Im on my phone or I would have tried to find it for you.
Some of these vintage juicy couture items go for big bucks.

And, yes, Lovely64 is right. There is some HUGE Juicy Couture scammers on Ebay. The empty box received one comes to mind.

They keep signing up with different user id's.

Let's see if I can find the thread/threads.

ETA:

found one

http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/fraudulent-scammer-alert-winchestervict-and-iluvjuciecouture13-762242.html

And, yes, Lovely64 is right. There is some HUGE Juicy Couture scammers on Ebay. The empty box received one comes to mind.

ETA:

found one

http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/fraudulent-scammer-alert-winchestervict-and-iluvjuciecouture13-762242.html

I remember this thread very well...

Under the circumstances this new buyer may or may not be a scammer,
but do you want to take the chance & deal with this situation..
They very well could be a legit buyer

The empty box syndrome is rampant especially with the Juicy charms..

Would you consider cancelling the transaction if you don't feel
comfortable ?? Or if you learn something that would make you re-consider?

$610 is alot of money to be potentially scammed out of, IMO...

Last edited:

ETA:

found one

Ugh...not Charles again. If you get the winner's email, I can tell you if that's him or not, as that was my scammer...horrible terrible no good very bad experience.

Sometimes people set a high proxy too not expecting another buyer to do the same thing.

For example- you want to outbid everyone thinking the competition will bid up to $50 so you set your max bid at $500. Someone else has the same idea.