Ebay item worth max $90, sold for $610?...

Sometimes people set a high proxy too not expecting another buyer to do the same thing.

For example- you want to outbid everyone thinking the competition will bid up to $50 so you set your max bid at $500. Someone else has the same idea.

Yes, this is possible but then the winner probably wouldn´t want to follow through, or?

This screams scam to me. I went and found the listing and you are right, you can order that bracelet brand new shipped for way less and with no charms on it the value would never be higher than retail (I would think since they can be bought in store still) since they are so readily available. I know us "charmies" do nutty things and pay crazy prices but usually it's for the charms. If they do pay make sure you follow the shipping policies perfectly and a few pics taken of you packing it wouldn't hurt either (sadly this sometimes needs to be done). If they do not pay I would think it may be a disgruntled previous buyer or crazy who may want to get you charged insane FVF's or neg you, there are also those nutters out there. I once was reporting fake bag sellers and somehow they were finding out it was me and ending my items BIN with stolen accounts just to get me the fee's charged which was why I thought of this option. I wish you the best and please keep us updated:flowers:

Sounds scammy to me but it could also be a mistake like some ladies pointed out. Long, long time ago I listed an item for $99 and it sold for $850. I figure something was up and then eventually the buyer told me she thought it would sell for about $400 so she bid $1000 thinking she would exhaust the competing bidders and run them out of time at the end. See what the say and best of luck!

Sounds scammy to me but it could also be a mistake like some ladies pointed out. Long, long time ago I listed an item for $99 and it sold for $850. I figure something was up and then eventually the buyer told me she thought it would sell for about $400 so she bid $1000 thinking she would exhaust the competing bidders and run them out of time at the end. See what the say and best of luck!

Excuse me for saying this but...that just stupid. :wacko:

This is why I don't list auctions. The bidding wars seem like a great thing for sellers, until the winner is like oh I didn't expect it to go that high. Or the people who are just bidding to "win" and have no intention to pay. :cray: As a buyer and seller I pretty much stick with BIN/BO. I feel like with auctions I always pay more.

Yeah, no joke. Why even take thechance, right? Funny thing is the second bidder would have to have also be thinking along those lines because it was the second bidder who drove the first bidder's max up. Oh well, people are crazy.

People should use a sniping service, it might save them a lot of money. At least there wont be a bidding war driving the price up:smile:

^I don't use a sniping service, don't like them. I guess I'm old fashioned. I like to sit at the computer and actually bid, lol. If I can't be at the computer then I put in my high bid and let it go.

^I don't use a sniping service, don't like them. I guess I'm old fashioned. I like to sit at the computer and actually bid, lol. If I can't be at the computer then I put in my high bid and let it go.

Same here. I've been known to set my alarm for 4 am in order to snipe at the end of an auction. I check the price at that point and if it's still within my range, I bid. If it's already at a point that's too high for me, I go right back to bed.