eBay item not received advice, please

gga

Satans Little Helper
O.G.
Dec 16, 2006
I've got an item not received issue, and I'd like some advice on how to proceed. I bought an item for $300 on 12/6, seller shipped in less than 72 hours later.

Tracking information shows the item out for delivery on 12/16, and that's the last activity. It's being sent to my PO Box, so Out For Delivery still means it never left the post office branch it was coming to. DC does not show Delivered. I've not received the package, and $300 is just a bit much for me to shrug and blow it off. The post office manager says it's not her problem, that it was probably delivered, but not scanned in. I told her I didn't get it, and they said they'd look for it, but no luck. (this is the same post office where I was delivered an eBay package addressed to someone in Tulsa, OK. I live in another state entirely).

What do I do? The post office says they can't find it, it isn't delivered, I don't have it, but the seller clearly got SOMETHING all the way to my post office. I don't know what to do next. I hate to open an INR claim when the seller seems to have acted in good faith. But I don't want to lose $300 either. The seller did not insure the item.

OMG. If the seller didn't insure the item and get Signature Confirmation (as the item + shipping was over $250) they are pretty much SOL.
Maybe there is someone in your area who sees items being sent w/out insurance and is helping themselves? The PO has little incentive to track down a package that wasn't insured.
you will probably have to file.....it will be an expensive lesson for the seller, but it could have been worse........better $300 than $3,000

you probably will have to file an INR.. your seller should have insured & used SC if
they havent' they will unfortunately learn a costly shipping lesson...there are delays
from the postal office, but you should have had your package by now...

This sucks. I've dealt with this seller before, and I really like her. I truly don't think this is shady on her part at all. This is total postal incompetence. Damn.

The post office lost my item. I sold on eBay in Sept a watch and shipped it. It got to buyer's state but never delivered. It was only $70, but what I did was refund the buyer after 21 days, then made a postal claim (I insure everything over $50). I recently got the check fom the post office, they paid me back for postage too.

If item doesn't show delivered, you will win Item not Received case. Hopefully, seller has insurance, as they should because it's over $250 anyhow.

Yes, it does suck, and I feel for her too. But it is pretty cut and dried....insurance and confirmation are there for the protection of the seller as it is their responsibility to get the item to the buyer. If she had insurance and SC neither one of you would be out a dime. You won't have the item, granted, but at least you will not be out the money, whereas the seller will now have neither the item nor the money.
I would call the 800 number (or have the seller do so) and report that the item went missing at such and such point. If there is something going on there will be a pattern of complaints (if others complained too)

The post office lost my item. I sold on eBay in Sept a watch and shipped it. It got to buyer's state but never delivered. It was only $70, but what I did was refund the buyer after 21 days, then made a postal claim (I insure everything over $50). I recently got the check fom the post office, they paid me back for postage too.

If item doesn't show delivered, you will win Item not Received case. Hopefully, seller has insurance, as they should because it's over $250 anyhow.

The seller did not insure the item :sad:

it is unfortunate that your seller did not insure... however, with all the holiday delays

there is the possibility that your package indeed may show up but if it doesn't

you should file the INR... there is no reason for you to be out the money...perhaps

the seller should contact the po at her end.. if she ships out alot of packages they

might put a little effort in trying to help her...and hopefully, you might be able to

replace your lost item

Try speaking to your postmaster. I called the postmaster at the destination, and he did call me back and at least tried to look for it. The package practically vanished into thin air.

Also, if he does refund you, do a mutual cancellation so seller cn get fees ack since te transaction is ring cancelled.

Try speaking to your postmaster. I called the postmaster at the destination, and he did call me back and at least tried to look for it. The package practically vanished into thin air.

Also, if he does refund you, do a mutual cancellation so seller cn get fees ack since te transaction is ring cancelled.

I already spoke with the postmaster. I'll absolutely do a mutual cancellation. I feel really bad for the seller here, because she is honest and made a mistake here instead of some of the sneaky stuff I hear about here.

I've contacted her again, through eBay, and I've asked her to contact her post office. If its small enough, perhaps her postmaster can put additional pressure on mine. I'm hoping at least.

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid it was going to come down to one of us eating the loss. Again, damn. I hate this.

I already spoke with the postmaster. I'll absolutely do a mutual cancellation. I feel really bad for the seller here, because she is honest and made a mistake here instead of some of the sneaky stuff I hear about here.

I've contacted her again, through eBay, and I've asked her to contact her post office. If its small enough, perhaps her postmaster can put additional pressure on mine. I'm hoping at least.

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid it was going to come down to one of us eating the loss. Again, damn. I hate this.

So sorry for my massive typos before, I'm on my iPad.

I would feel bad too, but it's the sellers responsibility to insure over $250. If you absolutely wanted to, you could split the difference, but I really think you should just get the full refund you are owed.

The seller should have insured the item... and even though you may have a nice relationship
with the seller, this is really her responsibility... it is alot of money to be out of, but
a costly lesson will be learned...since you have done business with her before, maybe you
would consider a token gift saying that you are disappointed that the mail basically stinks!!
And the post office should be cooperating at both ends.....and trying to locate this package..

The seller should have insured the item... and even though you may have a nice relationship
with the seller, this is really her responsibility... it is alot of money to be out of, but
a costly lesson will be learned...since you have done business with her before, maybe you
would consider a token gift saying that you are disappointed that the mail basically stinks!!
And the post office should be cooperating at both ends.....and trying to locate this package..

Would the seller be covered under the seller's protection or does she need sig. Confirmation?

Separate Signature Confirmation is needed for items that total (inc shipping) $250 and up. If the seller had purchased insurance for the amount of the item the PO would have required a signature automatically , but that signature is only viewable internally w/in the PO. Ebay/PP requires online viewable proof of delivery. Had the seller purchased insurance the PO would have some motivation to hunt down the package and she could have recouped her refund to the OP. W/out it --esp at this time of year, unless the package turns up somewhere the seller is SOL.

Separate Signature Confirmation is needed for items that total (inc shipping) $250 and up. If the seller had purchased insurance for the amount of the item the PO would have required a signature automatically , but that signature is only viewable internally w/in the PO. Ebay/PP requires online viewable proof of delivery. Had the seller purchased insurance the PO would have some motivation to hunt down the package and she could have recouped her refund to the OP. W/out it --esp at this time of year, unless the package turns up somewhere the seller is SOL.

That's too bad!
Although, putting pressure on both ends and talking to employees could help locate the item.
IMO, the item was put in the wrong PO box. There might still be hope, if owner of the box is honest.:smile: