Ebay Insurance Required Box for Sellers

noshoepolish

Labrador Lover
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
Just a reminder that in the near future you won't be able to use the Insurance Box on eBay. Can't remember what date that takes affect but if you have anything checked in the insurance box (required or optional) you are going to have to revise your listings. Either put the cost into your handling fee (which will cause dinged stars) or add the price into your item price.

So if you have an ebay store, get busy revising your items.

That's the way I understand it, Ms. P. The seller adds it into the price or shipping/handling charges. They can no longer give the option to the buyer (which it never was the buyer's responsibility, even though tons of sellers like to claim it was).

Right. They are going to wipe out that area. Looks like b/w Sept 22 and Oct 1.

So let's say you are selling a Chloe for $1000 and you have "Insurance Required" checked. It is going to wipe that out so you either have to pay for it yourself if you want to ship it insured, build it into the Handling Box, or build it into your starting price.

And be careful if you are revising listings, as it isn't saving the area under International Shipping and is reverting back to "required".

I feel bad for people with alot of stuff listed. I can get 25 items changed an hr if I am diligent. I have to change my TOS in my listings, change my Shipping Text Box, change my BIN and BO prices and change the Insurance Reuired Box.

That's ridiculous why would feebay even do away with such a thing. I mean, sometimes buyers want insurance and sometimes they don't, why should you have to compensate the S&H for that :tdown:

That's ridiculous why would feebay even do away with such a thing. I mean, sometimes buyers want insurance and sometimes they don't, why should you have to compensate the S&H for that :tdown:

Because the seller is responsible for the item reaching the buyer safely and if it doesn't, for whatever reason, the seller has to refund the buyer; whether, or not, the buyer agreed to buy postal insurance (and whether, or not, the seller then bought any).

Therefore, any buyer who agrees to purchase postal insurance is either doing so out of the goodness of their heart (knowing the seller will, otherwise, be out-of-pocket if the item doesn't arrive), or because they aren't aware that it makes no difference to their right to a refund.

Insurance is to protect the seller, not the buyer, so what's the point in letting the buyer decide, if it makes no difference to them? :shrugs:

eBay have, clearly, realised this; hence the change. :smile:

Last edited:
Because the seller is responsible for the item reaching the buyer safely and if it doesn't, for whatever reason, the seller has to refund the buyer; whether, or not, the buyer agreed to buy postal insurance (and whether, or not, the seller then bought any).

Therefore, any buyer who agrees to purchase postal insurance is either doing so out of the goodness of their heart (knowing the seller will, otherwise, be out-of-pocket if the item doesn't arrive), or because they aren't aware that it makes no difference to their right to a refund.

Insurance is to protect the seller, not the buyer, so what's the point in letting the buyer decide, if it makes no difference to them? :shrugs:

eBay have, clearly, realized this; hence the change. :smile:

And a good change it is! All these 'insurance optional' statements and 'I'm not responsible for lost or damaged items' were misleading to buyers, because sellers are responsible whether the buyer chose to pay for insurance or not.

Linda

And a good change it is! All these 'insurance optional' statements and 'I'm not responsible for lost or damaged items' were misleading to buyers, because sellers are responsible whether the buyer chose to pay for insurance or not.

Linda

Yup. Works for me. Takes some of the drama out of it. Cost is minimal. Peace of mind is priceless.

Right. Of course it is optional if you want to include it in your shipping. Most sellers never have an insurance claim. The way the PO is going, not sure how it is going to affect lost packages, lol.

Just that if you want your items to have to be insured, you are going to have to eat the cost or incorporate it in another fashion.

We have a statement in our listing that says " Insurance: We have delivery confirmation on all U.S. shipping. If insurance is important to you, please contact us."

The reason for this is because some of our customers feel that insurance gives their package special handling. It may have sentimental value or is hard for our customer to find, and they want the added peace of mind. If they want it, we will work it out for them. Otherwise, we insure based on the value of the item to us.

Up to $50, we do not insure. If it is delicate or over $50, we insure it at our expense. In over 7 years of selling and 5,000+ items mailed, we filed one claim for insurance. We have absorbed the cost of damaged, but not insured packages twice. Not bad odds, and we ship a lot of old records that could be easily broken.

Linda
ITA! And a lot of them were taking the money and not buying the insurance.