Ebay, Hermes and Wire transfers.. help!

I would listen to your gut reaction.

I am sure that there are many people who have purchased their bags through resellers and had them sent to France to be authenticated. They can honestly say that they have authentic Hermes. I would take their informed advice. Is it not possible for you to try to purchase from an Hermes store?

I have done wire transfers to reputable sellers and there has never been an issue. As MrsS says, it boils down to trust.
If you feel like you do about this, then either try and work it out with the seller directly - possibly even using an escrow service or asking about CC options - or buy directly from the Hermes boutique or through a brick and mortar reputable reseller (depending on where you live of course).

I saw someone references to Jems N Jewels being a reputable seller but when I clicked on the link I saw a bag that appeared to be an obvious fake.

I know I keep asking about Luxwear I just seriously dont want to get ripped off.

Anyway im going to trust you ladies and buy it. Hopefully once it arrives I will be more at ease.

Thanks for all your responses and as a new member of this community Im really happy to have been able to ask all these questions! :heart:

If you insist of using PayPal, you will be expected to stomach ALL the PayPal fees (someone who's familiar with PayPal fees might want to elaborate on this), in addition to the sale price of the bag. There's no way a reseller would pay that for you.

Actually, I would like to elaborate on this since I have direct first hand knowledge of the subject, and use it every day in my business. eBay sellers are not allowed to charge buyers for PayPal fees; they risk suspension of their accounts if they do. That's why the prices on eBay are a touch higher than the prices these same resellers can charge on their external sites (and why some eBay sellers will negotiate on a case by case basis if you choose to pay with a method other than PayPal). eBay's listing fees on a $10K bag are hundreds of dollars, and then it costs the seller several hundred dollars more in PP fees on top of that.
If sellers choose to charge fees for using PayPal on their external sites, I am not sure if that's against PayPal policy or not (but something tells me it is, since PP is owned by eBay).

One more thing: I keep seeing people here refer to this $5 fee that sellers pay for e-checks through PayPal, and I'm sorry to say that it's simply not true. I don't know where this information is coming from, but I have had numerous people tell me this lately. Here is PP's actual fee schedule for sellers, for both personal accounts and premier/business accounts:

Receive payments funded by PayPal Balance, PayPal Instant Transfer or PayPal eCheck Free (personal Accounts) 1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD (business or premier)

Receive payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit 4.9% + $0.30 USD (limit of 5 transactions per 12 month period)** for domestic or U.S. transactions (personal accounts)

2% + applicable Fees Fees for cross border payments (business or premier)

4.9% plus $0.30 USD for card payments received using PayPal on Skype 1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD
Multiple Currency Transactions Exchange rate includes a 2.5% fee**
Cross Border Transactions Exchange rate includes a 2.5% fee**

In addition, when you as a buyer pay with an e-check through PayPal you are only covered up to $2000. Anything over that, they will not protect you. And since you didn't pay with a credit card, you have no credit card protection backing you up in case of a dispute or authenticity issue.

Sorry for the lengthy aside but I wanted to clear all that up if possible!
Back on topic now!

All that aside, LuxWear is definitely as safe as anyone to buy from, and sells only authentic. Buying from them via a wire transfer--while giving you absolutely no protection in the instance of a dispute with the seller--should be safe.

Cynthia, that's strange, as that was the exact answer I got from different sellers (the 5$). I can do either an instant or echeck and in negotiations they then said they rather had me pay through an echeck... wonder why that is then?

I have no earthly idea! It's just not the case. I wish it were, believe me. It would save me thousands as a seller. I even double-verified this, by going back in my payments received and looking at the e-checks I have received--the fees were all percentages just like every other transaction. (I have a Premier account)

Is it at all possible that the *buyer* gets charged $5??? So very confused about this!

edited: I bet the sellers would rather be paid with e-check because then there is NO chance of a credit card chargeback by a dishonest or disgruntled buyer. And I don't think an e-check can have a stop payment put on it.

i agree with bank wire issue - it always puts me off if i see this in an auction. I can understand that lots of reputable sellers do this (as apparently Paypal charges around $70 per $2000 transaction for sellers). though personally i'd rather add it to a c card in case there is a problem, or agree to pay the sellers Paypal fees. I also have the issue that as well i don't ever have a spare $7k in my checking acct just swooshing around waiting to be spent (sadly!!).Luxwear is a great seller though and there's no worries about authenticity there. good luck!

Cynthia, I received a paypal echeck not too long ago and there was a $5 fee for it. Payment was from the buyer's bank account. There was no credit card involved anywhere.

Luxwear is great! I just got a lovely Birkin from her, and the experience could not be better, with great communication all the way. And her mark-ups are relatively reasonable. Many ladies here have bought from her, so I really would not hesitate with trusting her.

Cynthia, I received a paypal echeck not too long ago and there was a $5 fee for it. Payment was from the buyer's bank account. There was no credit card involved anywhere.
Hm. What kind of account do you have? Is it registered in the US? And was the amount a BIG amount, where the $5 might be the maximum that they could charge?

This is so strange, because nowhere in their fee structure does it mention any sort of cap to the fees, and I have never seen a $5 flat fee on any of my 1200+ transactions in 7 years. I believe you, I just would like to know why I'm paying hundreds of dollars in fees if I don't have to!!

I'm curious now about this too... you know the reason I thought it was cheaper is that the money is gone from my bankaccount and then hits the seller account 3 days later, in the mean time they can get interest on it, so in a way they do get their fees.

The woman who runs Luxwear is very nice. Even though, I don't have the means to acquire a Hermes bag at the moment, she still took the time to answer my questions. :smile: If I wanted a bag that was discontinued or hard to find, I would definitely order from her.

there are only possibly 4 or 5 sellers i would trust to wire money to...but luxwear is one of them, the members on this site will not steer you wrong about the top trusted sellers. outside of here i would advise you not to wire funds unless you had very very good reason to...once it's gone, it's gone!

Like many times said above, it is all about trust. I have done lots of wire orders, and never until now had any problems. You can save all the email exchange you do before the wire as that is clear evidence from the transaction if something would go wrong. When buying from a good seller (like Luxwear), I wouldn't worry as it is about their business and honour too.