Ebay Help: Unreasonable Buyer. Disagreement in Shipping Method

elttle2

Jan 12, 2009
I have been a long time ebayer with 100% positive reviews since 2002. This is the first time I have ever encountering the problem and I really don't know how to deal with it. I request help from ebay dispute resolution center, but they are not too helpful so far.
So I thought the experienced ebayer here can help me with it.

I was selling a Theory Blazer two weeks ago. A buyer from Singapore contacted me about shipping cost, and I quoted her $25 (including S&H) (I only specified it's via USPS didn't say whether it's priority or not). She becomes the highest bidder at the end of auction. I sent her in invoice, but she told me that I should be able to ship it for $13. My response was that I can't do it, and $25 was the quoted price. She should only bid if she can accept the price. I explain.

She suggested if I use some cheap shipping material, I should be able to do it. But I don't want to ship in some cheap envelope that might tear apart before the item got to singapore. (from previous experience). + this blazer is not lightweight at all. I would need to purchase those bubble wrap or boxes to ship it to her, so $25 includes postage AND shipping material.

She emailed a few more times insisting that I lower the shipping cost. I told her why don't we cancel this transaction. We won't write negative comments for each other. Or why don't we go to ebay resolution center trying to solve this problem. But she thinks that I am threatening her when I mention "ebay resolution center". Insisting that if I want to charge her $25, I have to ship it via "priority mail"

If I do ship it out to her, it can't be via priority (it costs $35+ to ship). It will have to be via first class ($16 postage + material). (then she is going to write me a bad review).
She is such a pain in the neck. I know I should just let her go and ship it to her for $13 and eat up the cost so I can have a positive review.

But, at this point, it's a matter of principle that I just rather keep the blazer than selling it to her.

I don't want her to ruin my 100% positive reviews. What should I do?

Why are some people so unreasonable:wtf:

If you specified how you were going to ship on the auction, there really isn't anything for the buyer to complain about. If she didn't like the auction details, she should have looked elsewhere.

Tell you buyer to read what the auction stated, that is how you'll ship - NO alternate means.

Good luck!

I had a vaguely similar experience (with the buyer trying to negotiate new shipping terms/new price after they had already won the auction) -- see this thread:

Dealing with Post Auction Demands

What worked for me was just to remain polite and to the point across multiple repetitive emails. In my opinion it's a battle of wills, don't break down -- the buyer will eventually lose interest (maybe then you can file a Non Paying Bidder) or will follow through with the payment. My buyer finally paid up in full and never left feedback, which was fine by me.

Either way it's so hard to avoid negatives on eBay that I wouldn't worry about a single negative.

I agree with the others. The shipping charge was clearly stated before the auction ended. It's not a negotiation. $25 to ship internationally is quite fair IMHO.

I agree with the others. Just continue telling her she has to pay the fee and then file for NPB.
On another point, you should be wary of shipping first class to Singapore. First class doesn't track...right?

Thank you for the reply! After filing a NPB (it's been 10 days), the buyer finally paid last night. But she still demand that I have to send her via priority + a tracking number. I think it will cost near $40 in that case. I guess this one negative is unavoidable.

The buyer should not be trying to change the terms after the auction ends, but I'm curious...

When she asked for the shipping cost, did you weigh the item and calculate cost at USPS? Or was $25 a guess? I'm confused how the estimate fell between priority and first class. If you can ship it first class for $16, $9 seems like a lot to charge for packaging materials.

1 word for that chick: MORON. ITA with what others said, be firm and polite. You already told her what the price would be originally, so why would things change now? So the item can get lost or destroyed and then she can file a PP dispute?

Personally, I'd refund her and be done with it. She broke ebay's policy by not paying within 7 days so, I think you can just refund and cancel the transaction.

Thank you for the reply! After filing a NPB (it's been 10 days), the buyer finally paid last night. But she still demand that I have to send her via priority + a tracking number. I think it will cost near $40 in that case. I guess this one negative is unavoidable.

You ABSOLUTELY need to provide a tracking number. This is a Paypal requirement.

p-WA