Ebay headache

joanne1981

Mar 4, 2012
I sold my leather cloche on eBay brand new with receipt from selfridges and I have just got this email 2weeks later.....

"This padlock and cloche has arrived and I am afraid to say that when I took it to the Mulberry store in Knightsbridge, they raised doubts about its authenticity. Apparently all Mulberry padlocks have keys with them, which this does not, and all of them close properly, which again this one will not remain closed. They also questioned the quality of the padlock and the leather.
Therefore, I am very disappointed because I bought it in good faith"

I have a oak sbs with no keys!!!! Where do I stand?.. Help x

The new padlocks are spring loaded rather than with keys like the old style.

And M stores don't authenticate.

Ask them to return it to you and refund them once you receive it back as long as its in the condition you sent it in.

You have a couple of options. Stand your ground and tell her to open a SNAD (significantly not as described) case, you will need to have the clochette authenticated via a recognised (by ebay) company such as Authenticate4u - not Mulberry - as GnB says, they do not authenticate.

You could tell her to send it back for a refund, do not refund money until item has been returned and you are happy that the buyer has returned the same item. Ensure all correspondence is through ebay. Be clear this is a gesture of goodwill, not down to any issue over authenticity - It would be your choice whether or not to refund postage.

You could direct her to Mulberry head office customer services

+44 (0) 1761 234 273

Who can advise your buyer regarding a) the fact that all Mulberry locks are now keyless and b) the fact that Mulberry do not offer any authentication services. Which may just be enough to get the buyer to enjoy their new clochette.

Hope this all works out for you.....

It's a difficult one because it is virtually impossible to tell from those photos whether it is genuine or not, and you would therefore have difficulty in proving its authenticity conclusively even with a formal authentication - some of Mulberry's small items can be extremely difficult, and often not possible, to authenticate. Aside from the fact that Mulberry do not authenticate, so the buyer is either lying or has taken it in and spoken to someone informally who is clueless, and that would not be a surprise. Also, you may not like to hear but your listing actually breached ebay's Encouraging Enfringement policy, which means that items which could be used to make a counterfeit appear genuine, and that covers padlocks, store bags, dustbags etc, are usually removed by ebay, hence you don't see many listed unless they manage to slip through. If you do get it back, you may get the listing removed when you try and relist it.

Received this from mulberry today

Our original padlocks were the lock and key style however we have since changed to a push lock padlock for more recent productions. For the past few seasons our bags have featured the padlocks without keys.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other enquiries.

Kindest Regards

Received this from mulberry today

Our original padlocks were the lock and key style however we have since changed to a push lock padlock for more recent productions. For the past few seasons our bags have featured the padlocks without keys.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other enquiries.

Kindest Regards

I would forward this letter to the buyer & hopefully she will
back down.

If she doesn't, then I would just ask her to return the bag &
upon inspection issue a refund.

She may decide to open a SNAD.. & we all know ebay tends
to side with the buyers in these type of cases & you don't
want the buyer to initiate a chargeback, so which is the lesser
of two evils, IYKWIM...

It's a difficult one because it is virtually impossible to tell from those photos whether it is genuine or not, and you would therefore have difficulty in proving its authenticity conclusively even with a formal authentication - some of Mulberry's small items can be extremely difficult, and often not possible, to authenticate. Aside from the fact that Mulberry do not authenticate, so the buyer is either lying or has taken it in and spoken to someone informally who is clueless, and that would not be a surprise. Also, you may not like to hear but your listing actually breached ebay's Encouraging Enfringement policy, which means that items which could be used to make a counterfeit appear genuine, and that covers padlocks, store bags, dustbags etc, are usually removed by ebay, hence you don't see many listed unless they manage to slip through. If you do get it back, you may get the listing removed when you try and relist it.

+1 as this was not a bag, but just the key & cover

I would forward this letter to the buyer & hopefully she will
back down.

If she doesn't, then I would just ask her to return the bag &
upon inspection issue a refund.

She may decide to open a SNAD.. & we all know ebay tends
to side with the buyers in these type of cases & you don't
want the buyer to initiate a chargeback, so which is the lesser
of two evils, IYKWIM...

Good luck!

I can't believe she is claiming the SA is authenticating. What a joke. Sounds like buyers remorse to me. I would ask her to file snad. If she want a refund or something else she should just say so.

FYI: Here's the policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-accessories.html