ebay giving out email addresses

LaDonna

Feb 18, 2006
i'm new selling on ebay and i received a message from a potential buyer, but it was from his email addy and he sent it to mine. i thought ebay didn't give out contact info unless there was some kind of transaction between 2 people. also, i received a message from the same person and then when i went to look for the message it was gone on my email and i know i didn't delete it. i checked my trash and nothing. i don't know if i'm thinking too much or what, but i have heard too many horror stories about peoples accounts getting hacked, etc. i was curious to see if i could get his info and ebay gave it to me, but ebay emailed us BOTH stating that i requested his info. i never got an email if that's how he got my email. is this normal? how did he get my email?

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
i'm new selling on ebay and i received a message from a potential buyer, but it was from his email addy and he sent it to mine. i thought ebay didn't give out contact info unless there was some kind of transaction between 2 people. also, i received a message from the same person and then when i went to look for the message it was gone on my email and i know i didn't delete it. i checked my trash and nothing. i don't know if i'm thinking too much or what, but i have heard too many horror stories about peoples accounts getting hacked, etc. i was curious to see if i could get his info and ebay gave it to me, but ebay emailed us BOTH stating that i requested his info. i never got an email if that's how he got my email. is this normal? how did he get my email?

Did you ever respond to this initial message to begin with? If so, perhaps you inadvertently didn't check the "hide my e-mail address" box and once you sent him a message, he saw your e-mail address.

But anybody should still be able to send a message via eBay to eBay—not personal e-mail addresses—you just click "contact member" from their ID and they type in a CAPTCHA and voila, they can send you a message.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're asking completely? :confused1:

i_love_yorkie

and BAGS
O.G.
Apr 8, 2007
have you answered his queston once, and then he emailed you?
when you answer his question the first time, you can choose to "hide" your email from them. if not checked, the email address will show in his account.
ebay wont give address, phone and name unless transaction occured, but email is disclosed

LaDonna

Feb 18, 2006
Did you ever respond to this initial message to begin with? If so, perhaps you inadvertently didn't check the "hide my e-mail address" box and once you sent him a message, he saw your e-mail address.

But anybody should still be able to send a message via eBay to eBay—not personal e-mail addresses—you just click "contact member" from their ID and they type in a CAPTCHA and voila, they can send you a message.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're asking completely? :confused1:

oooh, ok. i didn't even notice that. no, you're not misunderstanding. that's probably what happened. i'll have to pay attention next time. thanks for your help.