eBay Fees

Nov 29, 2006
Hi all,

I mostly buy but not sell on eBay. There is a bag around $2300 on eBay that I've been eyeing. The seller has reduced the price and re-listed a few times without any luck selling. I'm wondering if I offer to buy it "off eBay" but still through Paypal, though, because I would still like some buyer's protection, what are the potential savings in fees for the seller, as she may be willing to pass some of that saving along to me in a form of a lower asking price on the bag?

I know it's a frowned-upon practice by eBay but possibly a win-win situation for me and the seller :biggrin:

Smoothoprter

Mon for short
Authenticator
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
CALI
www.etincelerauthentications.com
Hi all,

I mostly buy but not sell on eBay. There is a bag around $2300 on eBay that I've been eyeing. The seller has reduced the price and re-listed a few times without any luck selling. I'm wondering if I offer to buy it "off eBay" but still through Paypal, though, because I would still like some buyer's protection, what are the potential savings in fees for the seller, as she may be willing to pass some of that saving along to me in a form of a lower asking price on the bag?

I know it's a frowned-upon practice by eBay but possibly a win-win situation for me and the seller :biggrin:
There is a sliding scale but in a nutshell eBay fees are about 9% of final value of the item and then capped at $100. If this seller sold you the bag off eBay she'd only be saving $100.

LabelLover81

Peace Love & Purses
O.G.
Mar 5, 2010
Virginia
I've made this offer to sellers in the past and they almost always agree to it. I've never had a bad experience doing it, I say go for it!!

jenaywins

O.G.
Dec 27, 2009
^^ Exactly.

And honestly, any one of us here could tell you any dollar amount that you might save, but seeing as the price is entirely up to the seller, it doesn't really matter, KWIM? None of us know for sure what he/she is comfortable accepting. Your best bet is to just ask.

limom

O.G.
Mar 24, 2009
There is a sliding scale but in a nutshell eBay fees are about 9% of final value of the item and then capped at $100. If this seller sold you the bag off eBay she'd only be saving $100.
I am pretty sure I paid more in seller fees than $100.

shopaholism

Jul 23, 2011
the cornfields
Absolutely--though I only sell lower-priced items (or have thus far, anyway), I offer a discount to buyers who go off-Ebay--I figure it's only fair to pass that savings onto them! Additionally, PP offers all the buyer protections that Ebay does, so it's no less safe (as much as fleabay would like to scare you into thinking that's not the case, just so they can take you for as much $$ in fees as possible)