eBay Etiquette - final bidder cancels offer and earlier bidder wins

JenBR

May 11, 2010
San Francisco
My question here is what is the etiquette around this situation:

Handbag is listed for 7 days. Over the course of a week the bag is bid up with about 9 bids by the same 2 bidders. On the last day a new bidder bids and has the high bid but later minutes until close cancels offer (boo!). One of the first two bidders wins.

However, now that bidder messages to say she will not be paying because she thought she lost the auction and bid on something else instead.

I am peeved but not 100% sure if I can be completely angry. What are the rules with eBay bids and getting outbid? Please inform me so I know how to react in the future. We ended up mutual cancelling the transaction.

In general I have been having really bad luck with eBay lately - several auctions ending with no payment (one girl wants free shipping - after the auction is closed) and being mutually cancelled so I avoid the hassle of unpaid items. And of course my favorite - being offered far less than my buy it now price - which is super annoying but easy to deal with. Thanks girls!

jenaywins

O.G.
Dec 27, 2009
It doesn't matter what else the winning bidder bought/bid on/committed to/etc. A bid is a binding contract, and etiquette/RULES state that she must pay.

That being said, if you'd rather just avoid the hassle, you can send her a mutual cancellation and simply relist the bag. I do know, however, that you cannot cancel/retract a bid during the last 24 hours of a listing, so I'm curious as to how the "winning" bidder cancelled within minutes of the auction closing?

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
My question here is what is the etiquette around this situation:

Handbag is listed for 7 days. Over the course of a week the bag is bid up with about 9 bids by the same 2 bidders. On the last day a new bidder bids and has the high bid but later minutes until close cancels offer (boo!). One of the first two bidders wins.
Please clarify. Did the new bidder email you to request that you cancel her bid? You say she canceled minutes before the close of the auction. How long before she retracted the bid did she place it?

The reason I ask is that when there's less than 12 hours left in an auction, a bid can only be retracted by the bidder within 1 hour of placing that bid. If it's more than an hour, the seller would have to cancel.

As for the winning bidder, here's the rule:
If you won an item and you no longer want to buy it, you need to contact the seller.

A bid on eBay is considered a contract, and you're obligated to purchase the item. Read about changing your mind about an item.

Here's the policy and explanation for bid retractions:

Attachments

JenBR

May 11, 2010
San Francisco
Hi everyone. The third bidder - who was high at about 12 hours to go cancelled their bid probably through the 1 hour rule. Making the next bidder the winner the next morning but she must have seen the third bidder's bid overnight and thought for sure she lost. So she bought something else thinking she was out of the running. She was the one who emailed about not paying and then we mutually cancelled the transaction. Can I be mad at her - I mean she did place a pretty high bid - or is her excuse legit - she really had thought she lost? I can see both ways and want to know for the future! Thanks!

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
I do understand her thinking although by ebay's rules, it's wrong. A bidder has to bid knowing that their high bid might be a winning bid. It doesn't matter that someone outbid them and they thought they were going to lose the item. The fact remains that they presumably bid the amount they were willing to spend and as winner, they would have been obligated to pay for it.

That said, now that you did a mutual, you've released them from their obligation.

Either send a SCO to the other bidder or relist it.

JenBR

May 11, 2010
San Francisco
Thanks beenburned. That makes sense and is basically what I thought. I relisted with only the buy it now so that hopefully this doesn't happen again (I already had another buyer pull out earlier when I listed a few weeks back). These eBay buyers are killing me!! I just want it to be easy :smile:.