Ebay Buyer Returns $1700 Handbag - I Am Billed for Customs Duty!

Thanks for everyone's comments. I guess this is another reason people are reluctant to sell internationally. I have never had an international return before, and wow, what a headache! :mad: I'll go ahead and submit all of my documentation, and when a decision is reached, I'll post again to let everyone know what happened.

Good luck LG. :heart: Although its very odd that someone notices a defect six weeks later! I can only speculate that the 'defect' was more from the bag being 'worn' by her. PFer or not, that was very wrong of her to come at you that way since you were very accomodating to her!

Good luck LG. :heart: Although its very odd that someone notices a defect six weeks later! I can only speculate that the 'defect' was more from the bag being 'worn' by her. PFer or not, that was very wrong of her to come at you that way since you were very accomodating to her!

Hi, D&G - I don't want to go into the particulars of the transaction, but no, she did not wear the bag -I rec'd the bag back in the same condition as when I sent it to her. I really didn't have a problem refunding her - she was concerned about her purchase, and I offered to refund her. So, that is not the problem at all. :yes: It is just this darn customs problem. I don't think I will ever, ever agree to an international return again.

Has anyone else besides PinkSuadeSoho had this happen to them:?:

BIG BIG sigh......I am so sorry to hear this "K"! I am very wary of selling to people who I feel are never going to be pleased what ever I do...how ever many pics I provide etc. although you´d surely think a pf member should know the apropriate manners when dealing with other members. So sorry...I hope this gets resolved quickly to your advantage!!!!!!! People really really need to stop expecting the moon and stars when paying next to nothing IMO when having been provided with every little detail (no offence to anyone on pf though)! Should this not be resolved to your advantage you need to send the bill to the buyer as it´s her responsability IMO.

Kat

Last edited:
Please keep us posted. Did you get the purse back or do you have to pay the customs fee in order to receive it?

Since the buyer had purchased from you before, I too would have taken the purse back if she was not happy with it, even if after 6 weeks.

However I do think she is responsible for the customs fees. It is the least she can do. If it was not for your honest nature, she would be stuck with a $1700 purse she would never use.

I think that reading this I would be reluctant to mention I am a tPFer on my auctions. Maybe other members feel they can embarass us into refunds. I mean after a couple of weeks I would assume all is OK with a transaction but after 6 weeks its a joke. Hope it gets sorted out.

If you have the customs note from when you sent the bag out to Australia (did you send with fedex?), you should be able to prove that it originated from the USA (the weight and description should be on it). Whenever I send something to the USA (which originated from there) I try to include an original customs form and a note for customs so they can check it and be sure that it's the same item. You should not have to pay any customs bills once everything is shown on paper.

If you have the customs note from when you sent the bag out to Australia (did you send with fedex?), you should be able to prove that it originated from the USA (the weight and description should be on it). Whenever I send something to the USA (which originated from there) I try to include an original customs form and a note for customs so they can check it and be sure that it's the same item. You should not have to pay any customs bills once everything is shown on paper.

Therein lies the problem - the buyer asked me to send it to her friend in Ohio. She said that she had bought a couple (or several) bags, and her friend was going to make one big package and send everything together. So, I sent them to her friend in the U.S. However, the bag is clearly my bag as I have photos of it from the auction, and I still have the original auction listing where she won the bag. I have the Paypal information, along with her instructions to send it to a U.S. address. So, I will forward all of that info to the U.S. Customs office, and see what they say. Thanks for your suggestion. :yes:

sounds like a nasty buyer....she should have paid for the Fedex shipping.....if you were nice enough to refund her after 6 weeks.....If she could afford a $1700 bag, she could afford to pay to return it to you....thats just nasty!!!!!
there aren't many tPFs in Australia.....I think I know which PFer she is....
I hope everything works out in your favor K. Keep us posted!

Therein lies the problem - the buyer asked me to send it to her friend in Ohio. She said that she had bought a couple (or several) bags, and her friend was going to make one big package and send everything together. So, I sent them to her friend in the U.S. However, the bag is clearly my bag as I have photos of it from the auction, and I still have the original auction listing where she won the bag. I have the Paypal information, along with her instructions to send it to a U.S. address. So, I will forward all of that info to the U.S. Customs office, and see what they say. Thanks for your suggestion. :yes:

Can you ask her to send you the original customs form which were sent with the bag to Australia by her friend? That way you can prove that the item originated from the States even if you didn't send it.

I seriously think you are one of the sweetest person I have ever encountered "K"
that you would refund USD$1700 after 6 weeks!

I don't have any advice to offer but only wishing and crossing my fingers that soon this will get sorted and you won't have to pay that dang custom fee!
*hugs*

sounds like a nasty buyer....she should have paid for the Fedex shipping.....if you were nice enough to refund her after 6 weeks.....If she could afford a $1700 bag, she could afford to pay to return it to you....thats just nasty!!!!!
there aren't many tPFs in Australia.....I think I know which PFer she is....
I hope everything works out in your favor K. Keep us posted!

I hope I didn't confuse anyone here - she did pay for the FedEX shipping back to me. What happened was that once the package arrived in the U.S., U.S. Customs levied duties on it based on its declared value of $1700.00. Fed Ex delivered the handbag to me. At least they are not holding it hostage! I rec'd the customs bill two or three weeks after I rec'd the bag back. Then I talked with FedEx, and they said they would investigate. Now I have just rec'd a letter from FedEx saying that the customs bill is still mine to pay.