Ebay: Buyer Exploiting SNAD/Buyer Protection for Return

After dealing with a difficult return myself as a seller there are a few things I've learned

If you had not chosen return for refund then you most likely would of won as "does not fit" is not an acceptable reason for a return and Ebay would of seen that from the messages. However since you did choose that, there is no point on trying to do otherwise now. If Ebay is forced to make a decision in this case, not only do you risk having a strike against you, but also there's a chance the buyer will get a refund and still be able to keep the pants.

Your advice is great. Thanks so much for putting that together. This is definitely a case of the bottom of the barrel buyer and you're right about the return policy.

I called Ebay CS again today using your advice and it went okay overall.

I've yet to receive the crops, however I checked her USPS tracking number and it states electronic information was received on 4/22. The rep told me I can either wait things out until she gets the crops returned back to me, or I can escalate the case. Like others mentioned, the rep explained that if I escalate the case I risk getting a strike on my account if I lose. The CS rep told me that I could challenge that and probably win she initially I offered the return to the buyer. That's a still a gamble though.

Wanted to add, when you get the pants back, as long as the buyer used tracking, you will have 3 days to refund. If you choose not to refund in those 3 days and Ebay does it, then that will count against you. Even if you get back a pair of destroyed pants, make sure you contact Ebay and speak to a supervisor if there's an issue before the 3 days are up.

Absolutely. Appreciate you mentioning this as well.

Update to share: The buyer escalated the case to Ebay this morning. I have not received the crops and the USPS tracking information reads as "Electronic Shipping Info Received," on 4/22 meaning a tracking number was generated on 4/22, however she has yet to send the item back to me.

This is all very odd. I asked the Ebay CS rep on Friday what would happen if the buyer escalated the case to Ebay before sending the crops back to me and he told me Ebay would rule in my favor since a refund can only be issued once tracking shows the item is back in my possession.

Is she hoping that Ebay won't look up her USPS tracking number? That seems like a big gamble to me.

I spend more time on the Ebay forums than I do here, and trust me when I tell you that CS reps are less than useless. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear, even if its completely untrue, just to get you off the phone. You were scammed? Don't worry we'll reverse the money! Buyer is lying? Don't worry we'll beleive you! Bs.

As far as the tracking, if it has not updated, do not poke the sleeping bear. Don't contact the buyer and demand to know what's up. Ebay won't refund unless the tracking info shows a delivery, so it might be best to just let the case time out and close on its own. Your buyer might think that Ebay will refund with just a tracking # and is hoping she can keep the money and the clothes. If she never actually ships, her tracking number is useless.

In a few days (3-7), call CS during the week, and explain that the buyer has not responded or shipped, and that you'd like the case closed in your favor so you can access your funds. Ask for trust and safety if you can, and keep calling back until you find someone who actually understands what you're talking about and is not just reading from a script.

I spend more time on the Ebay forums than I do here, and trust me when I tell you that CS reps are less than useless. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear, even if its completely untrue, just to get you off the phone. You were scammed? Don't worry we'll reverse the money! Buyer is lying? Don't worry we'll beleive you! Bs.

As far as the tracking, if it has not updated, do not poke the sleeping bear. Don't contact the buyer and demand to know what's up. Ebay won't refund unless the tracking info shows a delivery, so it might be best to just let the case time out and close on its own. Your buyer might think that Ebay will refund with just a tracking # and is hoping she can keep the money and the clothes. If she never actually ships, her tracking number is useless.

In a few days (3-7), call CS during the week, and explain that the buyer has not responded or shipped, and that you'd like the case closed in your favor so you can access your funds. Ask for trust and safety if you can, and keep calling back until you find someone who actually understands what you're talking about and is not just reading from a script.

You are awesome. Thanks for weighing in.

I called CS on Friday and the rep decided to make a final decision that reads as,
"We've asked the buyer to return the item to you for full refund."

His justification was that since I offered the return initially, the buyer needs to ship the item back to me. This will also result in a strike against me as a seller and the Paypal funds will be automatically deducted from my account once the item is returned. Complete BS. I then have to call Ebay back after the case closes (May 8) and request the strike be removed. He assured me that the strike will be removed since he and the two CS reps before him have documented that I attempted to work it out with the seller prior to the case being escalated. I have serious doubts about that though seeing that I've being told different things by different CS reps every time I call.

I checked the tracking info and still no movement. This is all so nutty. At this point I'm unsure if she'll send back the item and even if she does, I'm concerned about their condition as they were sold in excellent shape without any signs of wear or defects. In the 10+ years I've been buying and selling on Ebay this is the biggest letdown I've experienced.

I don't know if I can request the case be closed in my favor from Trust and Safety seeing that Ebay is waiting on the buyer to send the item back to me.

The two times a seller refused to sell to me for whatever obvious BS reason, especially right after the auction ended, I left them feedback that simply said "If you wanted this to sell for more, you should have set a reserve." The first time I did this though, the seller spammed me with hate messages for two days straight, like 12 of them. LOL.

I was pissed when I called eBay and they said "We can't force the seller to send you the item." Oh? But you can force us to refund obvious scammers?

Last edited:
You are awesome. Thanks for weighing in.

I called CS on Friday and the rep decided to make a final decision that reads as,
"We've asked the buyer to return the item to you for full refund."

His justification was that since I offered the return initially, the buyer needs to ship the item back to me. This will also result in a strike against me as a seller and the Paypal funds will be automatically deducted from my account once the item is returned. Complete BS. I then have to call Ebay back after the case closes (May 8) and request the strike be removed. He assured me that the strike will be removed since he and the two CS reps before him have documented that I attempted to work it out with the seller prior to the case being escalated. I have serious doubts about that though seeing that I've being told different things by different CS reps every time I call.

I checked the tracking info and still no movement. This is all so nutty. At this point I'm unsure if she'll send back the item and even if she does, I'm concerned about their condition as they were sold in excellent shape without any signs of wear or defects. In the 10+ years I've been buying and selling on Ebay this is the biggest letdown I've experienced.

I don't know if I can request the case be closed in my favor from Trust and Safety seeing that Ebay is waiting on the buyer to send the item back to me.
Again, good luck! Let us know how it goes:smile:

Thanks, mimott =)

Hi Lotuslover :smile:
I know this all 'went down' last month...but how did everything end..? It'd be so helpful to know the updates--if any, (this was/is such a helpful thread)--as for what to do in a case like this when one is the Seller.
Hope it all worked out for you...and if possible, could I please have the id of this unreasonable buyer to block when I sell...? I would so appreciate that info if at all possible.

Call Ebay again!

Have the rule ready for them - what happens before the case opens has no bearing on the case itself - once the case is opened then all previous offers are off the table. So that rep was full of crap.

Next, point out to the rep that under the seller protection policy, any buyer that returns an item WITHOUT THE CONSENT AND AGREEMENT OF THE SELLER TO REFUND voids the buyer protection on the item. That is the Ebay rule.

Therefore since she has sent them back before you agreed to refund, without express authority to do so, she is out of luck on the case and it should be closed in your favor right now.

Then if she wants the item back she can pay you for postage to send them back to her.

oops, sorry I didn't read to the end.

If this happened in May and you still don't have the item, call Ebay and have them close the case now in your favor.

I too was wondering what happened with this case started by the OP last month Apricot Summers...I was wondering, if I may ask you this Apricot: do you sell a lot on ebay and is a case like this becoming more and more "normal" to see/hear about...? Just was hoping to get your opinions on that for you seem to be really knowledgeable on this issue--and so happy you're here with your input btw... :smile:

I personally haven't been selling a lot on Ebay in the last year or so - the changes in the policies and the seller (non) protection is too risky for me.

But I do work with a company that lists their items so I'm pretty familiar with the listing process, rules, special rules for larger sellers and interact with Ebay personnel from time to time so I get more insight that way.

Yes, claims by buyers are up since the word is out that they can extort partial refunds or complete refunds from sellers that fear getting a "defect" and/or bad feedback. It's sickening.