Ebay buyer demands refund, refuses to return the item, and escalates to an ebay case.

irene83

O.G.
Mar 14, 2011
I've sold some brand new cardigans on ebay. The same buyer purchased two cardigans in different colors. I shipped the items and she left two positive feedback saying that the shipping was fast.

I thought everything was fine, but a few days later, she opened a case, saying that the item is not as described. In the case, she mentioned that the material is thinner than described and defective, FOR BOTH CARDIGANS.

I doubted her claim could be true, but still offered to refund the money once I get the items back. I also told her to put the cardigans back in the original bag it was mailed in and mark "return" so she does not need to pay shipping.

However, she refused to ship the items back, saying that it is a waste of her time to wait until the item is shipped back and to wait for the refund of money, and asking me that I just refund her. I said, I need to have the items back to refund, she refuses, and a week later, she escalates this to a case.

I really do not believe I have done anything wrong. I was professional in all my communication, and I offered to refund the full price, if she would return the items. I cannot believe she is escalating this to a case.

What are the chances that ebay will side with her on this case? This is making me very worried. Now I am actually convinced that the buyer is simply looking for a free product. I've seen in her reviews that she has taken advantage of the refund system in the past and not returned a ring.

Does anyone have experience like this? What should I do?

Unless Ebay wants to refund her out of their pocket she will need to return them.

She can't do a return to sender---she will have to pay the postage, unless Ebay wants to foot the bill for that as well

The buyer can't possibly think you will refund without the sweaters being returned to you.

If the buyer has a history of doing this type of thing, you may want to call it to ebay's
attention.. They may not sanction her, but may note her account for future reference.

Buyers know the return shipping is on them unless the seller has made an error
& wants to reimburse the buyer for shipping

I feel like people do this kind of stuff all the time. I wish ebay had better protection for sellers. I am always so scared when I sell something on there that the buyer will try to scam me. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I think they will require her to send them back though so I wouldn't worry.

WOW!!!!! That takes some gall.....

These kinds of people just make me SICK!!!!

I would report her behavior..... and if other sellers have had this issue I would
talk to them and point this out to ebay......

What is this buyers name, so we can add her to our BBL's ?????

I would NEVER want to sell to somebody like this.....

OP, I am so sorry this is happening to you..... I HOPE ebay will NOT refund her and MAKE her
return your items.......

I REALLY hope you win this......

I also told her to put the cardigans back in the original bag it was mailed in and mark "return" so she does not need to pay shipping.
What you asked her to do isn't legal.

Once a package has been opened, it can't be returned to sender without paying for postage.

Although your buyer seems to not want to return the item at all, it's possible that her concern is that should she do what you suggested, she might lose both the item and the money.

So you know, RTS is only to be used when the recipient returns without ever opening it.

As others have said marking a package RTS in order to do a return is not kosher with USPS nor does it protect the buyer or seller. It's the buyer's responsibility to pay for return shipping and get those items back to you (and be able to show that they have be returned, btw) if those are your terms. Her "I shouldn't have to be bothered to return a defective item" BS is just that. If she has indeed done this before maybe eBay has taken note of it. I would also report her as a problem buyer.

What you asked her to do isn't legal.

Once a package has been opened, it can't be returned to sender without paying for postage.

Although your buyer seems to not want to return the item at all, it's possible that her concern is that should she do what you suggested, she might lose both the item and the money.

So you know, RTS is only to be used when the recipient returns without ever opening it.

Oh no. Thanks for pointing that out. I honestly had no idea. I only told her to do so, because that is how this other seller told me to return the item some years ago, so I thought it was Okay. I never personally tried it though. Good to know that I was not supposed to do so.