"eBay Authenticate" eBay now competing with Poshmark and TheRealReal for high end handbag sales!

Has anyone sent their bags to use this service? The 10% fee promo is good but I'm wondering how sellers have found this program? I'm thinking about listing some stuff on my own but would consider this also. Thanks for any feedback.

I really wish that I would have read this article before deciding to take down my listing on Poshmark for a new Prada Tessuto crossbody bag and send off to eBay Authenticate! What a horrible experience!

Here is the initial email I sent once the listing was posted. The end result was that Terrie, a self proclaimed end all, be all project manager for the program decided to fire me, remove the listing and send my purse back to me.

—————
Hello,

I sent a PRADA “Papaya” Nylon Quilted Tessuto Impuntu Pattina Crossbody Bag in for authentication recently and have some concerns over the listing.

1 – The title of the listing posted by you is “PRADA Orange Nylon Quilted Crossbody Bag”. No where in the title does it reference “Papaya”, “Tessuto”, “Impuntu” or “Pattina”.

2 – The first four pictures have apparently been edited such that the item appears to be bright orange rather than Papaya in color. If you look at other listings for this same handbag, you will see that this one is far too orange and doesn’t represent the actual color.

3 – In picture 5 showing the inside of the handbag, there appear to be two black threads or something else in the bottom of the bag that make it appear to have significant ink markings inside the bag. It will never sell if someone thinks that the bag has been damaged with ink markings inside the bag.

4 – There are no pictures showing the handbag with the original tags, certificate of authenticity, original box that was included or the dust cover.

5 – I am genuinely concerned that eBay are using a seller who have multiple negative feedbacks citing poor communication, item not as described and shipping to the wrong address and with missing parts. This will also affect the ability to sell the item.

Please advise on what you plan to do to resolve these issues.

Mark

I really wish that I would have read this article before deciding to take down my listing on Poshmark for a new Prada Tessuto crossbody bag and send off to eBay Authenticate! What a horrible experience!

Here is the initial email I sent once the listing was posted. The end result was that Terrie, a self proclaimed end all, be all project manager for the program decided to fire me, remove the listing and send my purse back to me.

—————
Hello,

I sent a PRADA “Papaya” Nylon Quilted Tessuto Impuntu Pattina Crossbody Bag in for authentication recently and have some concerns over the listing.

1 – The title of the listing posted by you is “PRADA Orange Nylon Quilted Crossbody Bag”. No where in the title does it reference “Papaya”, “Tessuto”, “Impuntu” or “Pattina”.

2 – The first four pictures have apparently been edited such that the item appears to be bright orange rather than Papaya in color. If you look at other listings for this same handbag, you will see that this one is far too orange and doesn’t represent the actual color.

3 – In picture 5 showing the inside of the handbag, there appear to be two black threads or something else in the bottom of the bag that make it appear to have significant ink markings inside the bag. It will never sell if someone thinks that the bag has been damaged with ink markings inside the bag.

4 – There are no pictures showing the handbag with the original tags, certificate of authenticity, original box that was included or the dust cover.

5 – I am genuinely concerned that eBay are using a seller who have multiple negative feedbacks citing poor communication, item not as described and shipping to the wrong address and with missing parts. This will also affect the ability to sell the item.

Mark

There comes a point in time when you have to let people do their job and have confidence that they know what they are doing. I’ve had great experiences with eBay Authenticate. Unfortunately, I would have probably “fired” you too. You don’t tell people how to do their job, especially in a 1 2 3 manner such as you did. It’s insulting. That plus the fact that the company is doing all the work for you and only taking 10% with no chance of your item being returned to you and no chance of you getting scammed.

—————
Hello,

Mark

There comes a point in time when you have to let people do their job and have confidence that they know what they are doing. I’ve had great experiences with eBay Authenticate. Unfortunately, I would have probably “fired” you too. You don’t tell people how to do their job, especially in a 1 2 3 manner such as you did. It’s insulting. That plus the fact that the company is doing all the work for you and only taking 10% with no chance of your item being returned to you and no chance of you getting scammed.
I disagree with you regarding ebay authenticate.

There are (now) multiple sellers participating in the EA (Ebay Authenticate) program, but the company @markdownsandmore referred to (Eastvale) has a long list of complaints ranging from the sale of fakes to poor communication to listings that often lack pictures and/or details to authenticate items to listings that don't accurately portray the items.

And those are the exact problems markdownsandmore had with the company.

IMO, Eastvale did that client a favor!

—————
Hello,

Mark
I've seen similar listings from ebay Authenticate sellers. They use a very generic name. Generally they underprice the items, then lower the price when it doesn't sell. The reason it doesn't sell is because they don't title it right, don't describe it right and don't include the pictures necessary for authentication.

I appreciate your comments Cismith but I can’t say I agree. What possible sense does it make to pay another entity 10% to perform a service that is inferior to what I can do myself? The absence of proper tags in the title, poor picture editing, no representation of original tags/certificate of authenticity, poor eBay reputation, etc. I think I have the right to voice my concerns when I am paying them 10%, they are holding my merchandise and are in control of the pricing which they were adjusting downward every other day because it was not selling for all the reasons I mentioned. I am the one losing money, not them.

I appreciate your comments Cismith but I can’t say I agree. What possible sense does it make to pay another entity 10% to perform a service that is inferior to what I can do myself? The absence of proper tags in the title, poor picture editing, no representation of original tags/certificate of authenticity, poor eBay reputation, etc. I think I have the right to voice my concerns when I am paying them 10%, they are holding my merchandise and are in control of the pricing which they were adjusting downward every other day because it was not selling for all the reasons I mentioned. I am the one losing money, not them.

Actually eBay Authenticate has a great reputation. Have you seen their feedback? They are also getting a ton of great bags.

Actually eBay Authenticate has a great reputation. Have you seen their feedback? They are also getting a ton of great bags.
In this thread, @markdownsandmore implies (having posted on the Eastvaleluxe thread) that THAT is the seller who was selling his/her items.

And if that's the seller, the feedback leaves much to be desired:
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=eastvaleluxe&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

And the following is the same seller's previous account on which they acted as a valet seller:
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=eastvalestore&Dirn=Received+by

Note that there isn't (any longer) just one seller who participates in the EA program. Some sellers might be wonderful. Eastvaleluxe doesn't seem to be one of the better ones.

In this thread, @markdownsandmore implies (having posted on the Eastvaleluxe thread) that THAT is the seller who was selling his/her items.

And if that's the seller, the feedback leaves much to be desired:
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=eastvaleluxe&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

And the following is the same seller's previous account on which they acted as a valet seller:
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=eastvalestore&Dirn=Received+by
I believe @Cismith knows that as he/she has posted in that thread as well.

Thanks
So I received an email from eBay just the other day about their new service called "eBay Authenticate". Essentially, instead of having a regular auction/BIN on their site (with no real guarantee to the buyer that your item is authentic), you can now use their concierge service. With this service you send in your bag to eBay experts, they authenticate and sell it for you, and take a percentage of the sale. They take 20% of the sale amount, a higher percentage in comparison to the standard 10% on eBay listings, but you have them backing the authenticity of your item. With regards to competing with Posh concierge (which is only for items on their site valued at over $500) and TheRealReal (which is for ALL items on their site), eBay does make a case for itself! Though it takes the same percentage as Poshmark on a sale, they take professional pictures of the item for you whereas Poshmark does not. TheRealReal takes professional photos of your item, but their percentage is anywhere from 30-45% of the sale!!! What do you guys think of this service? I think eBay will continue to monopolize the online resale world now that they are offering the same authentication services as not only Poshmark and TheRealReal, but also Yoogi's Closet, Tradesey, Snobswap, Mercari, Lollipuff, Vestiare Collective and so many others! I feel with all of the Scams happening on eBay (and other sites) lately, this is a way for them to really show themselves as a trustworthy resale site for high end items, which they do not always have the reputation for. Just thought I would share this with you all, hope you guys love the new info!View attachment 3860942
for sharing

Reactions: Kay Adefuye
The biggest issue with this is the lack of insight into the “authenticators”. StockX had a terrible reputation for selling fake sneakers after “authenticating” them for the buyer and using this to mark up their listed prices. They list designer bags on there as well now which is a little iffy to me honestly.
I’ve always felt like you get what you pay for with eBay unless you can really dig through auctions. Just check sold listings on similar authentic models and go from there. It just takes some common sense and research to authenticate a piece from most major fashion houses. Ebay’s just on a cash grab.