Ebay and local pick-up

Sep 15, 2017
HI everyone. I am trying to list something and want to only have the listing be local pick-up. Ebay is stating I need to use an electronic form of payment to complete the listing. If I do this, I have no proof the buyer received the items since I am not using a shipping service. Any suggestions on how I safeguard this transaction? I usually ship any items that I am selling, but given the weight of the items feel it would be better to try a local buyer. Any ideas? Thanks!

I believe that for local pickup ONLY, you don't need an electronic payment.

As a test, I just attempted to list something as no shipping, local pickup only and without actually submitting the listing, I think it would have gone through.

I unchecked Paypal and under Payment options, I checked "Receive payment upon pickup."

Then under Domestic shipping, click on the dropdown and click, "no shipping: local pickup only."

Make sure your listing states, "cash only, pickup in person."

I believe that for local pickup ONLY, you don't need an electronic payment.

As a test, I just attempted to list something as no shipping, local pickup only and without actually submitting the listing, I think it would have gone through.

I unchecked Paypal and under Payment options, I checked "Receive payment upon pickup."

Then under Domestic shipping, click on the dropdown and click, "no shipping: local pickup only."

Make sure your listing states, "cash only, pickup in person."
Hi BB,
I thought maybe you had it - as I did not use drop down menu for the shipping aspect but just did now and followed your directions perfectly. Then this:

It looks like there's a problem with this listing.
  • Payment option - To list this item, you need to accept PayPal or other approved electronic payments as a payment method.
UGH

Okay, I wasn't able to submit it.

This is what I'd put as payment:
Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 4.35.13 PM.png

And below in the domestic shipping section, I had "no shipping: local pickup only"
And got this error message. (Note that I also replaced the "cash on pickup" with their suggested “Contact me for payment methods to pay on pick-up” and still got the same error message.

• Payment options - To list this item, you need to accept PayPal or other approved electronic payments as a payment method.
  • As of April 23, 2009, you will be unable to list your item if a paper payment is referenced as part of your payment instructions for in person transactions, outside of a few limited categories called out within the Accepted Payments policy. This includes, but is not limited to, references to cash, checks, and money order.

Although you may offer payment upon pick-up as an option when listings your items, you cannot openly solicit paper payments. For example, you are not allowed to say, “I accept cash in person” or “Money orders are allowed for in person transactions only.” Instead, we recommend you say, “Contact me for payment methods to pay on pick-up.”

Please note that these changes are being made to align with our Safe Payments policy

{e56586-616013x}

Last edited:
So I'd call ebay and ask how to do this since it (evidently) a category where you need an electronic payment method.

Make it clear to them that you won't be offering shipping at all so why would you need an electronic payment?

Okay, I wasn't able to submit it.

This is what I'd put as payment:
View attachment 4374311

And below in the domestic shipping section, I had "no shipping: local pickup only"
And got this error message. (Note that I also replaced the "cash on pickup" with their suggested “Contact me for payment methods to pay on pick-up” and still got the same error message.

• Payment options - To list this item, you need to accept PayPal or other approved electronic payments as a payment method.
  • As of April 23, 2009, you will be unable to list your item if a paper payment is referenced as part of your payment instructions for in person transactions, outside of a few limited categories called out within the Accepted Payments policy. This includes, but is not limited to, references to cash, checks, and money order.

Although you may offer payment upon pick-up as an option when listings your items, you cannot openly solicit paper payments. For example, you are not allowed to say, “I accept cash in person” or “Money orders are allowed for in person transactions only.” Instead, we recommend you say, “Contact me for payment methods to pay on pick-up.”

Please note that these changes are being made to align with our Safe Payments policy

{e56586-616013x}

Ok well thank you for trying - glad to know I suppose that I did everything correctly. I don't understand why local pick up is an option but again, I suppose Ebay is not considering the risk to a seller....ty BB

BB just a little fun fact -- I called Ebay to ask about this issue. The rep. told me that I must list PayPal as the payment source but then I can refund the money after I sell the item and work out payment details privately. I was encouraged to not refund through Ebay but Paypal directly. Hmmm.

BB just a little fun fact -- I called Ebay to ask about this issue. The rep. told me that I must list PayPal as the payment source but then I can refund the money after I sell the item and work out payment details privately. I was encouraged to not refund through Ebay but Paypal directly. Hmmm.
I believe this is the way they want you to do it. Ebay wants you to cancel through Paypal so they still get their fees. If you never receive an electronic payment, ebay never gets FVF, and if you cancel through ebay, the system automatically refunds FVF, I think.

Reactions: xincinsin
I have experienced same problem when I tried to list a "pick up" only item. I now set it with BO option and then tell them what I want for it. They make an offer and I accept, and we arrange pick-up. I then manually update it to show "payment received". It's totally annoying and does't make sense now that eBay and PayPal are 2 separate companies.

Reactions: trippinonsunshine