E Investigates, McStay Family Disappearance

francot1

O.G.
Jan 24, 2009
I was flipping through channels and caught this show about the McStay family's disappearance from San Diego. This was the first I heard anything about this, and was shocked at how a family could be missing for almost 2 years with no leads or information. At first I though maybe they were in a witness protection program, but know think maybe something bad has happened to them. Maybe husband or wife was involved in something illicit. I can't believe that they just left over 100,000 in the bank untouched for the past two years. Did anyone else see this or follow the story?

I was flipping through channels and caught this show about the McStay family's disappearance from San Diego. This was the first I heard anything about this, and was shocked at how a family could be missing for almost 2 years with no leads or information. At first I though maybe they were in a witness protection program, but know think maybe something bad has happened to them. Maybe husband or wife was involved in something illicit. I can't believe that they just left over 100,000 in the bank untouched for the past two years. Did anyone else see this or follow the story?

This was on the news a lot here in Southern California when this family first vanished. I also saw the e special and have often wondered what happened to this family. They obviously left in a hurry because their dog, who according to family members was left in the backyard without food, and this is something that they would never have done since they were fond of their dog. Another puzzling fact is that food that was perishable was left on the counter in the kitchen.

Was the family somehow involved in organized crime?
I believe sadly that the entire family was killed because of someone's illegal activities. Either the mother or the father were into either drug or human trafficking and a hit was ordered. :sad:
If it was witness protection would this story even on the air?

the car was found at the mexican boarder so they think the family went into mexico . i saw the special sorry to say i also think they got killed .

They showed video of the border crossing to Mexico, and the authorities think that it is the family. The McStay brother said that he does not think that it is his brother in the video. Apparently this is where a lot of the confusion lies, did the family actually travel into Mexico?

The quality of the video was terrible, and supposedly was an enhanced version. I have never been to the border crossing, but find it hard to believe that this is the best picture they have. What about the cameras coming into Mexico, or when they showed documentation to cross over? This should show their faces.

Everything about this story is so bizzare. The tv show was the first I heard about the case. Cannot believe after 2 years missing, the family is still only offering $1000 reward for information.

i'm also fascinated by these types of stories. it makes me sad when a family pet is apparently abandoned though :sad:

the discovery ID channel has a show called "disappeared" and one of the stories was a guy that vanished and left his beloved dog. he was recently found after 4 years and he had left on his own because of money trouble. leaving his dog behind really threw off the investigation at the beginning because people though there was no way he would take off without his dog.

i'll need to see if this show is rerun. i'd be interested to see it!

I think it was a business deal gone wrong or maybe some type of blackmail was involved. Either way i think they were involved in something illegal. If they went down for a standard business deal, why would they a) not tell anyone and b) why would the whole family need to go? It might have been a deal gone wrong previously and they were gonna go back down to 'pay off' their partner or something but then THAT went wrong as well. That's my guess. I don't know much about the case, i just read some articles.

What really disturbs me is that they dragged their children into this. I don't even want to imagine what those poor little kids went through/are going through.:sad:

I read about this in People when it first happened and caught the last 30 minutes of the special. I think they went on the run from some bad guys but whether or not they are still alive is beyond me. The whole thing about the Mom having multiple names and lying about her age is super suspicious to me.

They showed video of the border crossing to Mexico, and the authorities think that it is the family. The McStay brother said that he does not think that it is his brother in the video. Apparently this is where a lot of the confusion lies, did the family actually travel into Mexico?

The quality of the video was terrible, and supposedly was an enhanced version. I have never been to the border crossing, but find it hard to believe that this is the best picture they have. What about the cameras coming into Mexico, or when they showed documentation to cross over? This should show their faces.

Everything about this story is so bizzare. The tv show was the first I heard about the case. Cannot believe after 2 years missing, the family is still only offering $1000 reward for information.

Was it the San Ysidro or the Otay Mesa crossing?

I have crossed the San Ysidro port hundreds of times, and was usually busy, but smooth crossing into Mexico. Granted it has been about 15 years since I went there, but there wasn't much of any checking going south. The surveillance cameras might be better going North.

Did this story ever receive major national coverage? I've lived in San Diego my entire life (still do), and I've never once heard about this family. Very strange. :| I'll definitely be looking into this.