Dyson Hairdryer - Initial Thoughts

I have 2000 Ulta points. I'm thinking I might keep saving points until I can get this for almost free. I know I'll need a new dryer soon. My current one doesn't work sometimes. I can't justify that price, but with points it shouldn't be that bad.

So I decided to exchange my dryer and give them another shot. It did the same thing as the first. Worked for 30-60 seconds and kicked off with flashing 3 red lights. I was really pissed so I decided to call the service center. I explained what the problem was and that it was the second one that I had the same problem. They said that the only two reasons why you get 3 red lights is one that the outlet can't handle the power flow or two that there is something wrong. So I tried a few more outlets to see if it was the outlet in the bathroom. Same thing happened with all the other outlets. I didn't expect anything other wise my bathroom was remodeled 6-7 years ago and has the newest outlets and are grounded with a reset button. I'm going to take it to work, just on a whim to see if it also dies like at home. Dyson offered to let me send it back free of charge. And once they get the tracking number from US they will send me a replacement dryer. Then I asked what my recourse was if that one also dosen't work. Because at this point I'm not very happy with the product. I can still return it to sephora and get a refund. If I get another dud and it dosen't work I'm out $400. The agent checked with her supervisor and said that they would give me a refund check with proof of purchase. I'd have to call them back ect to do that. So I'm still a bit 50/50 on if I want to send it in and give them a third try or just get my money back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PurseForum mobile app

I have a T3 and a Solano, but I'm intrigued by the Dyson. Has anyone tried using it with a round brush to straighten? I love the high heat from the T3 and Solano. I have extremely coarse, thick, wavy hair, that I dry straight. I'm just wondering how well it works for that. Does it come with a concentrator nozzle? How does it work for smoothing?

Last edited:
I have a T3 and a Solano, but I'm intrigued by the Dyson. Has anyone tried using it with a round brush to straighten? I love the high heat from the T3 and Solano. I have extremely coarse, thick, wavy hair, that I dry straight. I'm just wondering how well it works for that. Does it come with a concentrator nozzle? How does it work for smoothing?
Haven't used a round brush with it but it comes with 3 attachments, including a concentrator nozzle.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 608
Any further thoughts on the dryer from those that have it? I'm having trouble justifying the investment unless I know it will really be fantastic. If I could find it on sale (for +>15% off), I'd probably take the plunge...

I love it! I have short hair and struggle with hair loss and regrowth in many areas which means allot of layers. I often use a round brush when drying. I was hesitant as the price seemed steep. I was actually hoping I wouldn't like it and then jut send it back. But nope....LOVE it. Worth the investment for me. But again I have shorter problematic hair. Hope that helps. :smile:

Reactions: Alliekatt29
Any further thoughts on the dryer from those that have it? I'm having trouble justifying the investment unless I know it will really be fantastic. If I could find it on sale (for +>15% off), I'd probably take the plunge...
Ulta is having its 20% off promo.
I am so tempted.....

Ulta is having its 20% off promo.
I am so tempted.....
Oh is it - promo code required? I just signed up for their emails - hopefully I'll get one. I haven't ordered from then in a long time, is their return policy comparable to Sephora's? I take some comfort in being able to return the $320 hairdryer if I don't like it...

Edited to add: I just checked on the website, it says the item is excluded from discounts, so maybe the promo doesn't work?

Reactions: limom
I recently purchased the Dyson hairdryer during the Sephora VIB sale and thought I would share my thoughts for anyone interested. I know the sale is over but Sephora usually does another promo in December, although not as good as the 20% off. For what it's worth, I have only used this dryer a couple of times since I just received it this week.

Background: I normally use a Conair Infiniti dryer that I purchased at Costco for around $20. Before the Conair, I had a T3 but it died on me after about 5 years and I never purchased another one. The Dyson is my second "high-end" hair dryer that I have ever owned so I cannot make comparisons to any other brands.

My hair: I have mid-length (about 5 inches past shoulder-length) hair that is naturally wavy and color-treated. If I let my hair air-dry, it takes about 4-5 hours and gets pretty frizzy on the sides. Normal drying time with my Conair is 8-9 minutes.

Method: I do not use the Conair to style my hair and I do not use a round-brush. I am far too lazy for that so I primarily use my hair dryer to dry my hair and get it fairly straight. I rough dry (high speed, medium heat setting) until about 80% dry and then I flip my head over and use a paddle brush to straighten my hair (high speed, highest heat setting). I do not use any attachments on the dryer so my hair moves all over the place. Probably not the best technique to get super-smooth hair but it works for me.

Dyson review: I used the Dyson the exact same way as I use my Conair since I thought that would be the best way to make a fair comparison. Total dry time was 6 minutes. The noise level was better than the Conair but still appreciably noisy for a hair dryer. Not expecting miracles on the noise front. It was a bit weird getting used to the dryer in the sense that my hair was not moving all over like it does with the Conair. Definitely a plus for minimizing fly-aways. I think my hair has more volume, in a good way, than with the Conair. As far as silkiness goes, I cannot say my hair was super silky but it was better than with my Conair. I think I will need to spend more time using the Dyson to perfect my technique but I don't think my hair feels like straw as some other reviews have stated. I did not experience any hand/arm fatigue, although for only 6 minutes, I doubted I would. I will probably try and do a round-brush test comparison between the two at some point but that's for another day.

Overall thoughts: I love the look and quality of the Dyson. Noise is less than with other dryers and dry-time improved. Hair looks and feels better than with my Conair. Is it worth $400? Not sure on that one but I'm one to splurge on beauty tools so I plan on keeping it. If you already have a dryer you love, especially a high-end one, I cannot see the need to buy the Dyson unless you love tools and have the funds to buy it. Hope this helps someone!

I'm glad this thread was started. It's a lot to spend on a hairdryer but if it's going to keep hair smoother for longer, then it could be worth it in the long run. I have a BaByliss Pro that can be really excessively hot on the high setting, and it's quite heavy, so if anybody has comparisons to that product, please post them!