Dyson Hairdryer - Initial Thoughts

Dec 10, 2012
I recently purchased the Dyson hairdryer during the Sephora VIB sale and thought I would share my thoughts for anyone interested. I know the sale is over but Sephora usually does another promo in December, although not as good as the 20% off. For what it's worth, I have only used this dryer a couple of times since I just received it this week.

Background: I normally use a Conair Infiniti dryer that I purchased at Costco for around $20. Before the Conair, I had a T3 but it died on me after about 5 years and I never purchased another one. The Dyson is my second "high-end" hair dryer that I have ever owned so I cannot make comparisons to any other brands.

My hair: I have mid-length (about 5 inches past shoulder-length) hair that is naturally wavy and color-treated. If I let my hair air-dry, it takes about 4-5 hours and gets pretty frizzy on the sides. Normal drying time with my Conair is 8-9 minutes.

Method: I do not use the Conair to style my hair and I do not use a round-brush. I am far too lazy for that so I primarily use my hair dryer to dry my hair and get it fairly straight. I rough dry (high speed, medium heat setting) until about 80% dry and then I flip my head over and use a paddle brush to straighten my hair (high speed, highest heat setting). I do not use any attachments on the dryer so my hair moves all over the place. Probably not the best technique to get super-smooth hair but it works for me.

Dyson review: I used the Dyson the exact same way as I use my Conair since I thought that would be the best way to make a fair comparison. Total dry time was 6 minutes. The noise level was better than the Conair but still appreciably noisy for a hair dryer. Not expecting miracles on the noise front. It was a bit weird getting used to the dryer in the sense that my hair was not moving all over like it does with the Conair. Definitely a plus for minimizing fly-aways. I think my hair has more volume, in a good way, than with the Conair. As far as silkiness goes, I cannot say my hair was super silky but it was better than with my Conair. I think I will need to spend more time using the Dyson to perfect my technique but I don't think my hair feels like straw as some other reviews have stated. I did not experience any hand/arm fatigue, although for only 6 minutes, I doubted I would. I will probably try and do a round-brush test comparison between the two at some point but that's for another day.

Overall thoughts: I love the look and quality of the Dyson. Noise is less than with other dryers and dry-time improved. Hair looks and feels better than with my Conair. Is it worth $400? Not sure on that one but I'm one to splurge on beauty tools so I plan on keeping it. If you already have a dryer you love, especially a high-end one, I cannot see the need to buy the Dyson unless you love tools and have the funds to buy it. Hope this helps someone!

I also bought this dryer on sale too. Unfortunately mine seems to be a dud. I unpacked it last night to get it set up for use today. I tried to play with it but it turned off after a minute and was flashing 3 red lights. I figured that maybe it was a fluke, my hair was dry and so I thought maybe it can sense that and that's why it kicked off. Then I tried a second time it kicked off again after working for about a minute. I thought ok maybe it's the placement of my hand, I had it towards the bottom of the handle and that's where the air flow intake was. I figured that maybe it was another fluke and I'd still give it a go in the morning. So I washed my hair and tried to use it. I made sure that my hand wasn't covering the air flow. Again it kicked off after a minute and 3 red flashing lights. I tried it again and again after a minute of use it kicked off with 3 red flashing lights. The instructions say for 3 red flashing lights to call the service center. So at this point I'm trying to decide if I should call them or just return it outright. It honestly pisses me off that it doesn't seem to be working right when it's brand new. I half want to call the service center to see what they say. But I feel like it's a waste of my time to do that.

But a few things that I wanted to note for others considering this blow dryer. It is a lot smaller than a normal blow dryer size wise and sound wise it was a lot quieter. Dose it dry hair faster than a high end dryer I couldn't say since it didn't work longer than a minute.

The other things I noted that weren't shown/didn't notice until I had it that I think are important to know. The electrical cord has a big pack on it, which makes it slightly awkward to me for trying to manoeuvring the dryer around the cord was weighted down.

The handle is straight, which you can obviously see by looking at it. Most blow dryers have a curved more ergonomic handle. I'm a very tactile kind of person and I prefer a ergonomic handle that fits my hand.

I noted above that the air flow is at the bottom of the handle. I personally don't have small dainty hands. I noticed that when I was testing it out that my had was covering it and thought that was why it was kicking off. When I went to use it the next day I was very conscious to have the placement of my hand at the top of the dryer to keep it away from the air flow.

Another thing that I didn't notice until I had it in my hands was that it doesn't have a loop/hook like most dryers do. It has a cheapo lanyard with a loop to attach to the electrical cord near the base of the unit. I know it might seem petty but for a $400 blow dryer I feel like a lanyard loop is a really cheap way to get the job done. I'm not sure how long it will last before it gives out. I have a double towel rack in my bathroom and I keep my blow dryer in between the two bars. This dryer is too small for it to be nestled in between the towel bars. I'd have to buy a hook to hang it on to, not a big deal. But hanging it on the lanyard dosen't seem really good in the long run.

The dryer also comes with a roll up rubber mat for you to rest it on the counter. You will need this, I set it down and it slide off the counter and fell.

I'm still debating on calling the service center and see if they have any input as to why it's not working. I work pretty much till thanksgiving and day time hours, so I don't know if I'd actually reach someone if I did call based on what the hours are at the service center are. I don't want to call and be on hold forever to get to someone either. I'm kind of leaning towards returning it at this point. I feel like I shouldn't have to vest any of my time and energy into getting a brand new item to work.

Here's a few pics of the stuff I mentioned.

The large size pack on the electrical cord.
e8331e369cb1040ee9d0187382437e99.jpg

Handle backwards so you can see the placement of the buttons on the top of the handle and the air flow on the bottom of the handle. I'm also including a pic of my Ghd dryer for comparison of the Dyson stick straight design vs the curved handle on most dryers.

7d50a24a74e876f00b427135c791db5a.jpg

299df369fa2587123c226a48e5b13688.jpg

The rolled up rubber mat to lay it on, it's a long ovalish shape.

643dbeb709a8e6dd2f85c042bf3f5aec.jpg

This is the lanyard that you're supposed to attach the base of the electrical cord to be able to hang it.

357938ee4a58c52e374509d5d0a533f5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PurseForum mobile app

Little tidbit that I think is cool - the Dyson dryer made theTIME 25 Best Inventions of 2016 list.

Having used the dryer for several more days now, I really like it. I agree with@pixiejenna about the cord pack being bulky, although I haven't found it too heavy. I have one of those cheap hair caddies from Ulta that I use so I don't have issues with it falling off the counter and no need for a hook but I could see that being an issue for some. My hair is much sleeker than before and I am still drying my hair upside down. I've noticed I don't need to use my flat iron as much on days that I want my hair super straight.
I also bought this dryer on sale too. Unfortunately mine seems to be a dud. I unpacked it last night to get it set up for use today. I tried to play with it but it turned off after a minute and was flashing 3 red lights. I figured that maybe it was a fluke, my hair was dry and so I thought maybe it can sense that and that's why it kicked off. Then I tried a second time it kicked off again after working for about a minute. I thought ok maybe it's the placement of my hand, I had it towards the bottom of the handle and that's where the air flow intake was. I figured that maybe it was another fluke and I'd still give it a go in the morning. So I washed my hair and tried to use it. I made sure that my hand wasn't covering the air flow. Again it kicked off after a minute and 3 red flashing lights. I tried it again and again after a minute of use it kicked off with 3 red flashing lights. The instructions say for 3 red flashing lights to call the service center. So at this point I'm trying to decide if I should call them or just return it outright. It honestly pisses me off that it doesn't seem to be working right when it's brand new. I half want to call the service center to see what they say. But I feel like it's a waste of my time to do that.

But a few things that I wanted to note for others considering this blow dryer. It is a lot smaller than a normal blow dryer size wise and sound wise it was a lot quieter. Dose it dry hair faster than a high end dryer I couldn't say since it didn't work longer than a minute.

The other things I noted that weren't shown/didn't notice until I had it that I think are important to know. The electrical cord has a big pack on it, which makes it slightly awkward to me for trying to manoeuvring the dryer around the cord was weighted down.

The handle is straight, which you can obviously see by looking at it. Most blow dryers have a curved more ergonomic handle. I'm a very tactile kind of person and I prefer a ergonomic handle that fits my hand.

I noted above that the air flow is at the bottom of the handle. I personally don't have small dainty hands. I noticed that when I was testing it out that my had was covering it and thought that was why it was kicking off. When I went to use it the next day I was very conscious to have the placement of my hand at the top of the dryer to keep it away from the air flow.

Another thing that I didn't notice until I had it in my hands was that it doesn't have a loop/hook like most dryers do. It has a cheapo lanyard with a loop to attach to the electrical cord near the base of the unit. I know it might seem petty but for a $400 blow dryer I feel like a lanyard loop is a really cheap way to get the job done. I'm not sure how long it will last before it gives out. I have a double towel rack in my bathroom and I keep my blow dryer in between the two bars. This dryer is too small for it to be nestled in between the towel bars. I'd have to buy a hook to hang it on to, not a big deal. But hanging it on the lanyard dosen't seem really good in the long run.

The dryer also comes with a roll up rubber mat for you to rest it on the counter. You will need this, I set it down and it slide off the counter and fell.

I'm still debating on calling the service center and see if they have any input as to why it's not working. I work pretty much till thanksgiving and day time hours, so I don't know if I'd actually reach someone if I did call based on what the hours are at the service center are. I don't want to call and be on hold forever to get to someone either. I'm kind of leaning towards returning it at this point. I feel like I shouldn't have to vest any of my time and energy into getting a brand new item to work.

Here's a few pics of the stuff I mentioned.

The large size pack on the electrical cord.
e8331e369cb1040ee9d0187382437e99.jpg

Handle backwards so you can see the placement of the buttons on the top of the handle and the air flow on the bottom of the handle. I'm also including a pic of my Ghd dryer for comparison of the Dyson stick straight design vs the curved handle on most dryers.

7d50a24a74e876f00b427135c791db5a.jpg

299df369fa2587123c226a48e5b13688.jpg

The rolled up rubber mat to lay it on, it's a long ovalish shape.

643dbeb709a8e6dd2f85c042bf3f5aec.jpg

This is the lanyard that you're supposed to attach the base of the electrical cord to be able to hang it.

357938ee4a58c52e374509d5d0a533f5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PurseForum mobile app
That stinks that yours is not working properly. If it were me, I would probably just return it and, if I really wanted it, exchange for another new one. Although, I would expect Dyson to have great customer service and they may just say to send the unit back (at their expense) and they will send you a new one. Either way, not fun to get a new expensive item and it not work. Let us know what you decide to do.

I agree that the cord and attached box is bulky, but it hasn't caused any issues for me. Same goes for the lanyard and the anti-slip mat as I have a cheap Ulta hair caddy that I use to hold my hair dryer and curling/flat irons, so I have no need to hang mine up or lay it on the counter. My biggest issue are the controls - my Conair has them on the inside of the handle whereas they are on the outside of the Dyson. I have to stop and look to change settings now which is kind of annoying. The Conair has switches versus buttons so it was easy to change settings without looking. I will just need to get used to the Dyson and then I should be able to change them without even thinking about it.

Having used it for several days now, I can say I really like it and will keep it. My hair is feeling better than it did before and I don't need to use my flat iron as much on the days I wear my hair super straight. I still need to play around with all of the attachments to see how my hair turns out, especially the concentrator nozzle.

Fun tidbit - the Dyson just made the TIME Best 25 Inventions of 2016 list. Not that this should sway anyone's decision but I thought it was cool.

Reactions: limom
Following. Thinking of snagging one in london
If you have the funds, I think it's a great dryer. I do think it's expensive; however, after one week of using it daily, I feel and see a positive difference in my hair. I'm not one to ever write beauty-related reviews, as I think things like this are quite subjective, but I actually really like this dryer. To be fair, I can see how some may not feel a week is enough time but I do know that it has not made my hair feel dry and I live in a very arid climate. I am still learning how to best use the attachments (I never used them with previous dryers), but I do think they make this dryer, and probably any dryer, perform better. Luckily, in the US, we can buy and return if something doesn't work out or we don't like it; however, I know it's not that way everywhere.

Let us know if you purchase it and, if so, your thoughts on it.

Reactions: limom
I love it. The magnetic attachments are the best. It does dry fast and less frizz. Easy to use. I have a Harry Josh and the dyson is way better. I also had the Drybar buttercup and that comes in a close second. So to rate them it would be Dyson, Drybar then Harry Josh.
Have you used the diffuser yet? I have naturally wavy hair and am going to try this and see how it turns out.

I love it. The magnetic attachments are the best. It does dry fast and less frizz. Easy to use. I have a Harry Josh and the dyson is way better. I also had the Drybar buttercup and that comes in a close second. So to rate them it would be Dyson, Drybar then Harry Josh.
Sephora Canada doesn't have the Dyson but we do have the Drybar - which benefits does the Dyson have that the Drybar lacks? I don't need a new hairdryer but I'd like to invest in a quality one next time, so any info would be appreciated[emoji5]

Have you used the diffuser yet? I have naturally wavy hair and am going to try this and see how it turns out.
I can't stop thinking about missing out on this Dyson hairdryer, yesterday morning while blow drying my hair I was silently hoping it wouldn't wake anyone up. I'm hoping we have it on the Canadian site by the spring sale.

Sephora Canada doesn't have the Dyson but we do have the Drybar - which benefits does the Dyson have that the Drybar lacks? I don't need a new hairdryer but I'd like to invest in a quality one next time, so any info would be appreciated[emoji5]

I'm comparing the way it dried with the drybar dryer. The drybar isn't as fast but it did a good job at smoothing. The other benefits to Dyson is the size, it has a permanent cool function or a cool shot. 3 speeds and 3 heat settings. The best is the magnetic attachments and weight is in the handle.

Does the dyson website ship to Canada? QVC now carries it too and they had easy pay recently on it.

Haven't tried the diffuser yet since I had a Keratin treatment recently. Looking forward to trying it out when the treatment wears off.

Reactions: reginaPhalange
I can't stop thinking about missing out on this Dyson hairdryer, yesterday morning while blow drying my hair I was silently hoping it wouldn't wake anyone up. I'm hoping we have it on the Canadian site by the spring sale.
Yeah, it is much quieter than a normal dryer. Sucks how Sephora Canada doesn't get things at the same time. I think you'll really like it.

Reactions: reginaPhalange
I'm comparing the way it dried with the drybar dryer. The drybar isn't as fast but it did a good job at smoothing. The other benefits to Dyson is the size, it has a permanent cool function or a cool shot. 3 speeds and 3 heat settings. The best is the magnetic attachments and weight is in the handle.

Does the dyson website ship to Canada? QVC now carries it too and they had easy pay recently on it.

Haven't tried the diffuser yet since I had a Keratin treatment recently. Looking forward to trying it out when the treatment wears off.
I'll try it soon and report back.