Dying over highlights-HELP!!

LushBoutique

Live Glamourously
Jan 15, 2009
Alright ladies, I need some advice...I have naturally dark hair (black), I did blonde hilights for about a year now at the salon. I love, love how it looks, but I haven't had time nor the extra money at the moment to get it touched up, so it has been growing out, probably to around my ears. Well, before reading any forums or threads, I went ahead and bought L'oreal Preference in blonde (don't remember what it was specifically) and dyed over my whole head just to get it one color. Little did I know, the parts where my hilights were, some parts turned this grayish green and the rest of my hair looked light brown (wasn't that bad until I went outside under the sun) In over my head...I still decided to solve it myself, I bought a box of L'oreal expert color w/hilight kit (meringue) I only ended up using the base, but my hilights were back to blonde and my roots are brown.

I was really my hair wasn't grayish-green, and I kinda like how my roots were a little darker than the rest of my hair, but now its growing out. I'm not too crazy about it.

So after telling you my recent hair color experiences. I've just read that you should seek professional help to do a dye over on highlights. Being that I didn't do that and dyed it myself. What can I do at home? I was thinking of trying ION, this hair color at Sallys Beauty supply which has gotten good reviews for. Should I try that and dye over again to see what happens?

.....or should I just go to the salon?

I suggest going to the salon.

But, Sally's Ion is great, I use it for my extensions. Ask their advice and make sure it's someone who is actually knowledgeable. If you can call around to some local salons and ask for pricing. I know at the salon I work at they range from levels 1-4 and prices go from 30-100 for highlights. Hope that helps.

Hey LB! Honestly, I'd go to the salon. You tried a few things yourself and that's great but I would strongly recommend a salon consultation and appointment to get it to the color and highlights combo you want.

We wear our hair everyday, so it's a VERY worthwhile investment!!

XXXOO PG

Thank you BONCHICGENRE and PURSEGRRL, for the advice. I'm going to call Sally's tomorrow first and ask for their advice, then I'll do some research and call around to salons around me for some consultation.

You can not lighten hair more then 2-3 shades with hair dye, it must be bleached to get brown hair blonde. That being said it sounds like your best bet is to just color it back dark brown and let it rest for awhile before bleaching or coloring it again. I would talk to a professional though. Good luck!

Dyed my hair this weekend. Used to wear it a dark brown. Was lighting it by using a light brown (which makes my hair look medium brown, when I color with a medium brown it goes dark brown). Any way I used Clariol Nice and Easy. Noticed the last time that it was too light and brassy on top. Called Clariol and they told me to mix the light and medium. Well I got dark brown again. Called them again and it is a two step process to lighten it - so forget it. The person this time said I should have left on shorter time and only applied to the roots. When I originally dyed I called 3x to make sure I got the same instructions. Only called once this time and obviously got not quite the right instructions. Oh well - live and learn. At least it will fade a little soon.:whistle:

Cheryl - thank you for the advice! If, only there was some type of dye that would definitely make it the color that it shows on the box. Anyways.. I didn't want to keep bleaching for reasons listed in my post and plus, I didn't want my hair to fall out. I bleached my hair or retouched the highlights every 2 months for the past year. Which is alot for me, because I never had bleach in my hair before.

luvprada- sorry to hear about the Clairol incident! I hope it works out for you, and true, it will fade soon! Someone told me for dark hair, to dye it the color you want with a box color you have to get two to three shades lighter then what you want. Like if you wanted to dye it light brown, you would use a dark blonde. Well, except for my case, because I have the bleach in my hair.

Lush, no color can make everyone's hair the color on the box because they have no idea what you're starting with! Most boxes even say right on them that they are to be used on virgin hair within 2 shades of the target color.