Dying cracked corners

mf19

Aug 16, 2012
Anyone have experience with this? I tried cleaning the corners of my bag, but unfortunately they are cracked to the brown leather below. I was thinking of dying them white and using zelikovitz acryllic coat to give a shiny finish and strengthen it. Think it would work? Or, don't risk it and just deal with the corners?

Attachments

• 2013-01-07 17.54.18.jpg
    2013-01-07 17.54.18.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 825
  • 2013-01-07 17.54.03.jpg
    2013-01-07 17.54.03.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 873
  • 2013-01-07 17.53.55.jpg
    2013-01-07 17.53.55.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 821
Last edited:
before
2013-02-062046241_zps6aac0a1f.jpg
2013-02-06203954_zpsff856171.jpg

after
2013-02-06213520_zps974dfa85.jpg
2013-02-06213411_zps970e6666.jpg

can you tell the difference between the colors?
2013-02-06215304_zpsd07d0aef.jpg

attempting the handles now (unsure how this will go)
left - with one coat of dye, right - darkened
2013-02-06215507_zps1149dc43.jpg

For this dying I am using "ivory" for my nacre work. You can find the exact dying pen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25122122621...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 The company can even mix dyes to find the one perfect for your bag!

It is extremely cheap and easy to use! A great solution for cracked corners.

I have currently applied 2-3 coats on darkened areas and am letting them dry over night. If needed, I will do another coat tomorrow (one coat is very thin as per directions). I am then going to use Zelikovitz acryllic coating to protect and shine it up, but am going to test it first in case it darkens the new dye.

The corners already look brand new but I do not know how the handles will turn out... worth a shot though. Will update tomorrow evening with how that works out.

Any questions let me know!

Left undyed, right with two coats

Some areas do need another layer on the handle (on the underside) so today I will do that and dye the other handle.

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 736
Wow, amazing~ you did a good job!! Thanks for sharing this information, very helpful. Maybe I shd get some for my bags too~
how do the handles feel after the dye? do they feel sticky or dry? will the dye come off when come in contact with moisture?

Wow, amazing~ you did a good job!! Thanks for sharing this information, very helpful. Maybe I shd get some for my bags too~
how do the handles feel after the dye? do they feel sticky or dry? will the dye come off when come in contact with moisture?

They don't feel sticky or dry...the one I did actually feels exactly like the the one I didn't do. The dye is very thin so it is not heavy.. It didn't change the texture anywhere on my bag. You do a thin layer and let it dry ~5 min or so before reapplying the next layer and it builds up in coverage.

I do not how the handles will hold up with moisture. I am not going to use a top coat on them as hrsunshine said the handles did feel different afterwards. I may just need to reapply.. We will see

Update: I did the handles which did work, but not as well as the rest of the bag as the leather had much more pink undertones. thus, in certain lighting you can see a difference between the rounded part of the handle and where the laces are. If you're planning to do this I suggest you ask for a special color that matches your bag exactly (they do customize colors). there was no change in texture so I think this is a good solution but not a cureall as they will darken again.

Last edited:
Update: I did the handles which did work, but not as well as the rest of the bag as the leather had much more pink undertones. thus, in certain lighting you can see a difference between the rounded part of the handle and where the laces are. If you're planning to do this I suggest you ask for a special color that matches your bag exactly (they do customize colors). there was no change in texture so I think this is a good solution but not a cureall as they will darken again.

I love how your Bbag corners turned out. I emailed the company that you purchased the leather touch up pen from on Ebay, but they are not currently making any custom color leather pens due to a temporary staffing shortage.

Do you know of another dye product that I can use? I have an Amethyst city that I would like to do what you did with the corners. But the color match needs to be just right. Thanks.

I love how your Bbag corners turned out. I emailed the company that you purchased the leather touch up pen from on Ebay, but they are not currently making any custom color leather pens due to a temporary staffing shortage.

Do you know of another dye product that I can use? I have an Amethyst city that I would like to do what you did with the corners. But the color match needs to be just right. Thanks.

Sorry but I have no idea - I'm not very good with balenciaga colors at all. I would suggest maybe wait because as you said the color needs to be just-right and I rather wait and have a perfect looking bag then try to find a close dupe - which probably isn't easy with balenciaga colors other than black?