Dyeing your Tano 101

beeb

O.G.
May 29, 2008
Ok ladies, I need your help. I'm going to attempt to dye projects soon. One is restoring the damaged French Nanny and the other is attempting to revive an unnamed crackled leather Tano. Here are my questions...

1) Which tarrago product am I looking for?
2) Does anyone know of a B&M store that carries it?
3) How much will I need per bag? The unnamed one is about the same size as my FN.
4) Are there any bits of info you wish you'd known the first time around?
5) Will the dyed Tano eventually distress like a regular one?

beeb, somewhere there's a huge Rebecca Minkoff thread about dying a bag. If you can find it, and if I remember correctly, there was a ton of useful info.

Thanks, TK!

Hmm...I'm torn between Olive and Spinach Green. Maybe Spinach is the way to go.

Can I stray from the greens, even though my bag started life as Avocado? I also have to keep in mind that orange lining.....

Beeb, buy a couple of kits just to be safe. You are going to have to build layers..when I attempted to do my sister's minilisa it took about 2 kits (but then again, I'm messy). As far as number 3, no. The dye forms a layer on top of the leather that is almost kinda plasticky. If you want something similar to the original feel, then maybe try the Shoe creams. Watson's Mom used Shoe cream on hers and I don't think she ever reported any problems with rub off. I used the other Coloring cream with higher pigment on a bag in it and had problems with rub off.

Last edited: