Dyed balenciaga calcaire hobo HELP!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I just bought a 2006 hobo bag in Calcaire on *bay. It was dyed dark blue using Tarrago DIY dye and i want to remove the color and then have it professionally dyed a dark brown or black. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will try to remove the dye myself and then send it out to be re-dyed, but i want some advise on the best products to use. I have done some searching and was impressed with advleather.com. This is the * ebay listing for my bag with photos:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120364453985

and here is for the leather cleaner:
    http://www.advleather.com/consumerproducts.html#sg-50

Let me know what you think!!!

2. hello stacyannvh !, glad you received the bag ok , will be interested to see how this goes for you !

3. i dont think that removes dye..
    you probably have to send it to a professional cleaner

4. didn't i see that someone had used paint thinner or something ? not that you'll get the colour out of the whippstitching on the handles or the zipper fabric i shouldn't have thought.

5. I actually talked to barbara at LMB and she told me that i could try using acetone at my own risk and then apply the silk treatment to it after, so that's what the plan is for now! I will let you know how it goes and post some before and after pics. Thanks!

6. ^^ So brave.

Let us know how it goes with the acetone. Yes, someone posted on my thread somewhere that she used paint thinner and it actually turned out fine.

7. wooo i have a dyed back that i would like to get the dye off too
    where would i get something like that?? just hardware store?

8. ok i tried the nail polish remover technique
    and it works really really well except for the paint that are stuck in the cracks..
    i will keep you guys up todate.... hopefully wont ruin the leather

9. i don't think there's going to be anything that'll get all the dye off, like you say, the cracks will keep the dye more, which when it comes to the re-dye would worry me , the bags may end up with an uneven finish , but i guess if you're going black it probably wouldn't be a problem.

10. I used acetone that i bought from home depot. It worked like a charm, but did not take the dye out of the cracks. I don't know how to upload a photo to show you, but i'm going to figure it out. I took most of the dye of yesterday and the leather seems to be fine today..its a bit dry, but i'm going to apply the silk treatment that i bought at lovinmybags and see how that works. Honestly, as terrible as it sounds to apply paint thinner to a balenciaga's leather, it didn't damage it like i feared it may. I will give updates, but i would recomend the acetone. It will not remove all of it, but if you want to dye it another color after, this is what i would recomend..

11. you can upload by clicking on "go advanced" under the quick reply box, or upload to photobucket or something.

12. any updates on this ?

13. Yes! I actually photographed the bag with my blackberry, but i can't upload the photos because they are too big apparently. I can email them to you if you would like! I am going to apply Fiebings leather dye in black to the bag in a couple of days after i have applied conditioner a couple of more times. I will take a photo of the finished product and post. If you want photos, just let me know where to email them!

14. here's a pic of the bag with the dye removed that stacyannvh sent to me last night, she gave me permission to post .

[​IMG]

15. The actual color of the bag is much less blue in reality. This is a very close up shot. It's a lot more rose than it is blue.. The leather held up very well.