Dye Project - Transformation of my Women Unite! Come See!

NoSnowHere

So Banned!
Feb 11, 2007
Before: apple green. Very worn & especially faded on one panel. I purchased this on Bonanzle from the lovely Odebdo.

photo2-10.jpg

After: smoke gray using Tarrago dye in #40

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-11.jpg

What do you think?

OMG! I had no idea this kind of transformation was possible, well done!! I once tried Tarrago dye on a bag but it was glazed so it just wouldn't sink in, or I was doing something wrong.

Now you've got a brand new bag! :smile:

Linda

NoSnowHere I love the dye job. I need to dye a bag and I am so nervous would you say it is fairly easy or do need alot of patience. Something I am trying so desperately to practice.
Great Job it looks like a brand new bag.
Peace Angel

nice job nosnow! I was the Tarrago Queen on here in years past, and isn't the stuff great! I dyed several bags (or just the trim) and was very pleased with the results. And with crunch/lux leather, if you are not a fan of the distressed look, the Tarrago shoe creams are fantastic to spiff up the color again (but it can take away the shine, so be warned).

LindaP - the same thing happened to me with my first project. I have since learned that it's best to remove any finish on leather with some type of deglazer like Fiebings. Then the dye will soak in better, and more evenly.

Another great dye is called Eco-Flo made by Tandy (the leather company). It's more of a stain and doesn't give you that plastic-y feel Tarrago can.

Ladies, don't be afraid to tackle a dye project - start with a cheap bag (or even an old pair of leather shoes) to gain confidence. There are many great bags out there that you can work magic on, and end up with a fab bag that didn't cost you lots of $$!

Last edited:
Thanks all!

Angel: it was fairly easy, just time consuming. The trick is to use the preparer with a scouring pad to remove any dirt or conditioner from the bag. I ended up doing 4 coats of dye.

Ladies, don't be afraid to tackle a dye project - start with a cheap bag (or even an old pair of leather shoes) to gain confidence. There are many great bags out there that you can work magic on, and end up with a fab bag that didn't cost you lots of $$!

Thanks all!

Angel: it was fairly easy, just time consuming. The trick is to use the preparer with a scouring pad to remove any dirt or conditioner from the bag. I ended up doing 4 coats of dye.

Watson's Mom thanks for the inspiration I am sooo wanting to dye a bag but so nervous maybe now with you help I will tackle it.

NoSnow
thanks for the tips!! Your bag looks like it is brand new.

Peace Angel

OMG!!!

I am SOOOO very happy to see this!! I adored that bag, but just could not handle the wear on the one panel...and was chicken to dye it myself...but I am so glad you gave her new life! She is beautiful!

Enjoy!

Watson's Mom thanks for the inspiration I am sooo wanting to dye a bag but so nervous maybe now with you help I will tackle it.

NoSnow
thanks for the tips!! Your bag looks like it is brand new.

Peace Angel

Choose wisely, grasshopper! NoSnow was lucky it was a magnetic-closure bag! I was going to try dying my French Nanny, but the zipper put me off to it; the color I wanted didn't go with the zipper it has. I may try having the zipper replaced with a snap, not sure yet. :sad: