Dye project in progress!

May 16, 2013
So I have this old camel city bag - the thing has really taken a beating thru the years, and I finally broke down and decided to dye her.

This process definitely isn't for the faint of heart. I happen to be an artist (I've also done some work w/ a fashion designer), and I've actually had some prior experience dyeing leather and suede - specifically, a skirt and some shoes - and I've done loads of leather dye color-mix tests on different types of leather (Kangaroo? Nailed it!).

I think what I'm getting at here is that my level of comfort with the materials was pretty high. It also takes some comfort with uncertainty and trust in yourself that you can make a solid final product!

Anyways - tonight I did the first coat of dye on my bag [disclaimer: I went with simple black], and I felt like sharing!

Before:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421638046.023980.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421638062.838494.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421638082.752602.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421638100.343581.jpg

During:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421638125.961569.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421638149.684076.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421638165.009589.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421638178.544906.jpg

Materials-wise I used a decent portion of a bottle of Feibing's black leather dye (w/ a wool applicator), and I started by wiping the whole bag down with Feibing's dye prep.

The dye prep definitely makes a difference, as it removes a layer of dirt and finish from the leather that prepares it to take the dye. (I also have deglazer I could have used, but I've had mixed results with it in the past.)

At first, I was very surprised with how the dye didn't seem to fully absorb into some areas of the bag, but after gently continuing to rub w/ the applicator the color built up a bit more.

About halfway through I realized the cording for the handles had to go. It was just so frayed and crappy, and that was that. A few snips and they were gone! I'll have to shop around this week for a replacement for it.

Once I was done the whole bag felt a little stiff and somewhat dry (despite being sort of wet with dye), likely because the use is alcohol based... so I'm not concerned. She still has a ways to go! Currently hanging in my bathroom drying!

I'm going to keep updating as I go through the stages here, so thanks for listening to me blabber on about this! I'm excited! Feels really good to get my hands dirty again... :smile:

I'm definitely going to do a second coat over the whole bag,

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement guys!!

@Grande Latte - I plan on doing at least 2. Checked in on it this morning and was pleasantly surprised at how the color had seem to set in and even out... but definitely want to give it another round to be sure (it's like painting your nails... 2 easy coats is better than one intense one!)​

@BDgirl - handles are actually yet to be totally *fixed*, heh... the black dyejob seems to have made them look a bit better, but there are still areas where the leather is quite thin and cracked from use. I plan on using a standard leather repair kit for them when the dye job is totally done. Decided to do this after instead of before so that I could match the repair to the new color, as a lot of repair kits have water-based compounds which would have been problematic for the dye to penetrate. Also gotta find replacement cording... luckily I happen to work right by the garment district in NYC!​

@pkhors - For this *particular* bag I think a darker or khaki green could have worked, but likely not pink. But yeah, dyeing bags another color can totally be a thing! Since the type of dye I'm using is penetrative (vs using something like Tarrago's self-shine dye - which I also have!), the new color would essentially be mixing in with the color of the bag, as opposed to sitting on top of it. There's less of a chance of peeling or cracking this way!

Actually, depending on how well this City bag goes, I actually have a few other old worn Balenciaga bags that I'd be game to try my hands on w/ a color [stay tuned :smile:]. One of my rules though is to work with the underlying color of the bag... it just makes it easier! If I were to dye a Balenciaga a color, I'd also match the color as closely as I could to an existing past season one - just 'cause.​

I'm gonna try to get more pics of the project today in its day-2 dry phase in daylight. Thanks again for being on this ride with me, All! ::high five:: :smile:

Day 2 - daylight details...

On the front you can see the slightest hint of the underlying color poking through. Part of what the camera is picking up here is what I like to call the "sharpie-esque"-ness of the dye. The black is ever-so-slightly iridescent, the way something would be if you colored it in w/ a sharpie:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693004.699679.jpg

Handle detail... Cracked, but newly noir!:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693172.724030.jpg

Can't wait to put some new Edge Kote on this thing:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693215.464268.jpg

Front leather detail - ugh, just everything I love about Balenciaga's leather. So supple and beautiful even after being tortured with dye!:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693303.401848.jpg

Side detail - black, but still damaged. Will get it's own repair:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693353.995308.jpg

Back detail - mm, dat grain doe...:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693413.483505.jpg

Handle:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693486.890370.jpg

Hand shot - yeah, so - worth noting that even though the bag is dry to the touch at this point, excessive handling does get you some ruboff! I lightly wiped/blotted it for excess dye. Will do again before 2nd coat:
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693602.440493.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1421693611.128658.jpg