Dye a strap?

vix2000

May 5, 2007
Just wondered if anyone has dyed a messenger strap. I have just bought a (used) seth in chocolate but it has a light beige strap that looks a bit grubby, although the bag is like new. I was going to buy a new chocolate coloured strap but they are now £65 plus vat :wtf:

As I only paid £130 for the bag (bargain from Labels most wanted) I wondered if I could dye the strap and if it would work?

I have also considered buying some webbing and having a local cobbler replace it with the original hardware.

Thanks all x

If the strap is a cotton it would change colour with a dylon dye but if there are any polyester or man made materials in it (maybe thread) it would not change as they are sealed. I would probably put the strap in something like an old pair of tights to protect the hardware from the machine I don't know how the hardware might react chemically as you need to add a fair bit of salt to the mix.
Alternatively. Buy a new strap from bonacalinda at etsy they are around twenty pounds and go perfectly with mulberry bags

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/157727792/custom-bag-strap-black-and-red-floral?ref=shop_home_active

If the strap is a cotton it would change colour with a dylon dye but if there are any polyester or man made materials in it (maybe thread) it would not change as they are sealed. I would probably put the strap in something like an old pair of tights to protect the hardware from the machine I don't know how the hardware might react chemically as you need to add a fair bit of salt to the mix.
Alternatively. Buy a new strap from bonacalinda at etsy they are around twenty pounds and go perfectly with mulberry bags

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/157727792/custom-bag-strap-black-and-red-floral?ref=shop_home_active
Thanks for that, I might just have to change the webbing with a cobbler as I'm not sure it is all cotton.

Just wondered if anyone has dyed a messenger strap. I have just bought a (used) seth in chocolate but it has a light beige strap that looks a bit grubby, although the bag is like new. I was going to buy a new chocolate coloured strap but they are now £65 plus vat :wtf:

As I only paid £130 for the bag (bargain from Labels most wanted) I wondered if I could dye the strap and if it would work?

I have also considered buying some webbing and having a local cobbler replace it with the original hardware.

Thanks all x

I would go with getting new webbing and getting the cobbler to change. I wouldn't think this would cost that much. Probably quite a straight forward stitching job.

It sounds as though it would be well worth a try. You also have to send the bag back to Mulberry for a new strap.

I have used Dylon very successful for clothing but think you would have to take the hardware off. Even then you don't know what the results would be the webbing reacting to the salt, hot water etc

Thanks all x

I don't know about dying the strap - but wow, what a bargain! Why not try living with it for a bit, might not bother you so much after a while?