Duty | Tax | Customs for International shopping {VAT refund}

My husband is in London and he was all set to purchase me a jumbo flap when the SA told him the UK doesn’t do VAT refunds anymore since brexit. Does that still apply for European countries like Italy? We are going there in three months so I’d prefer to wait if I could save even a few % since that adds up when spending almost $10k on a bag. Thanks in advance! I’m so frustrated because I’ve been thinking for months about what bag to get, he had it in hand, and now he just left the store (he could go back in a few days if needed).

My husband is in London and he was all set to purchase me a jumbo flap when the SA told him the UK doesn’t do VAT refunds anymore since brexit. Does that still apply for European countries like Italy? We are going there in three months so I’d prefer to wait if I could save even a few % since that adds up when spending almost $10k on a bag. Thanks in advance! I’m so frustrated because I’ve been thinking for months about what bag to get, he had it in hand, and now he just left the store (he could go back in a few days if needed).

EU does VAT, but no guarantee your perfect Cf will be there, so you have to decide whether to wait or not!
You may have to pay customs and state tax once you arrive home (if US based)
Good luck

EU does VAT, but no guarantee your perfect Cf will be there, so you have to decide whether to wait or not!
You may have to pay customs and state tax once you arrive home (if US based)
Good luck
Thanks, my husband is forcing me to take the gamble…. And I am just going to go with it because he’s not complaining how much I am trying to spend, lol! Just pray for no major price increases in the next 100 days!

• Haha
Reactions: 880
Hi everyone - I'm going to Paris in the autumn and wondered if anyone resident in the UK had purchased in France and claimed tax back? I see you can do it at the airport but wondered if chanel boutiques sell bags tax free to non EU customers?

Also - do you know what the tax free amount is? Thanks!

Hi, I recently went to the Rue Cambon store in Paris and bought a pair of shoes. I think the tax back was around 13%. You’ll have to tell the store so they can give you the tax free receipt I think it was. Then at the airport you can use the self service points to get claim your tax refund. It’s really simple and hassle free at the airport which is nice as I was worried we’d be waiting ages as we had bought other things from other stores too.
All in all it’s a good amount you’re saving including after the euro to gbp conversion (I know the rates not great right now) but it all adds up with the tax refund. :smile:

Yes, I returned from Paris last week and was fortunate enough to get a Kelly 25 From FSH . The tax back from Hermes is exactly 10% and as the previous poster confirmed, it was a simple process at the airport. The SA at Hermes said that it would take about 3 weeks for Global Blue to refund tax to my CC but I was delighted to find that it was returned within 3 days. Hope that helps!