Duty | Tax | Customs for International shopping {VAT refund}

riccardof

Mar 4, 2022
Does anyone know how much is cheaper Chanel at Charles des gaulle airport if i’m going outside europe? Because i know that there is duty free shopping, but i don’t know how much is VAT

Lavalle2

Feb 3, 2019
My husband is in London and he was all set to purchase me a jumbo flap when the SA told him the UK doesn’t do VAT refunds anymore since brexit. Does that still apply for European countries like Italy? We are going there in three months so I’d prefer to wait if I could save even a few % since that adds up when spending almost $10k on a bag. Thanks in advance! I’m so frustrated because I’ve been thinking for months about what bag to get, he had it in hand, and now he just left the store (he could go back in a few days if needed).

Feb 6, 2013
Hi everyone - I'm going to Paris in the autumn and wondered if anyone resident in the UK had purchased in France and claimed tax back? I see you can do it at the airport but wondered if chanel boutiques sell bags tax free to non EU customers?

Also - do you know what the tax free amount is? Thanks!

fari17

May 21, 2022
Hi, I recently went to the Rue Cambon store in Paris and bought a pair of shoes. I think the tax back was around 13%. You’ll have to tell the store so they can give you the tax free receipt I think it was. Then at the airport you can use the self service points to get claim your tax refund. It’s really simple and hassle free at the airport which is nice as I was worried we’d be waiting ages as we had bought other things from other stores too.
All in all it’s a good amount you’re saving including after the euro to gbp conversion (I know the rates not great right now) but it all adds up with the tax refund. :smile:

Peeps

O.G.
Jul 31, 2010
Yes, I returned from Paris last week and was fortunate enough to get a Kelly 25 From FSH . The tax back from Hermes is exactly 10% and as the previous poster confirmed, it was a simple process at the airport. The SA at Hermes said that it would take about 3 weeks for Global Blue to refund tax to my CC but I was delighted to find that it was returned within 3 days. Hope that helps!

Reactions: fari17

fari17

May 21, 2022
Yes it must be the same process, the mode of transport shouldn’t matter. I think you can find out more info on Paris Gare Du Nord website. Assuming it should be straightforward

aishaaa89

Dec 6, 2016
Recently if you are not a uk citizen and you travel with items worth more than 390 pounds you have to declare them, I have read from few people that they have been stopped and their items have been checked, someone paid 20% tax on items from paris. I find this unfair as some are trying to use the Brexit to benefit from. When i read the law on imported items to the uk for tourist if it is made in the eu then you pay 0%, but as people dont know the law and most of them are scared to be banned from entering the uk so they do pay without consulting the embassy or a lawyer.

Reactions: fashionelite

sinniebunnie

Neurotic 4 Alignment
O.G.
Nov 7, 2005
Australia
I am headed to Singapore from Australia in 2 months and would like to know if its cheaper to purchase something from Louis Vuitton in Singapore.

I am confused on how VAT and stuff works since i've never done it before. TIA

Jul 6, 2011
Recently if you are not a uk citizen and you travel with items worth more than 390 pounds you have to declare them, I have read from few people that they have been stopped and their items have been checked, someone paid 20% tax on items from paris. I find this unfair as some are trying to use the Brexit to benefit from. When i read the law on imported items to the uk for tourist if it is made in the eu then you pay 0%, but as people dont know the law and most of them are scared to be banned from entering the uk so they do pay without consulting the embassy or a lawyer.
Can you pls share where it is that you read that a non UK resident tourist need not pay any tax on goods purchased from EU when travelling to the UK before heading home? I have been looking on UK government websites but can't find any info on this. Thanks!