duty on bags coming back to the US

HeavenAF

dreaming of spring
Sep 27, 2010
Hi guys!
I found another thread on this but there was no answer, and when I posted no one answered so I figured I would give it a try over here!

Does anyone know how much the duty is for LV coming back into the US? I know that you get 800 (1600 if you are traveling with spouce) duty free, and then the next $1000 is charged at a flat rate of 3% but if you exceed that amount, does anyone know how much it would be?? The customs site says "various rates apply" but that could mean anything! I figured someone here had experience! TIA!

Im taking a trip in June and would like to be mentally prepared for how much they are going to charge me!

Well if you just pack your purchases in a suitcase then you could just not claim them. How would they know if you bought them before your trip or not?

unfortunately our laws say that if you have an item that was made out of country, you have to have proof that it was purchased in the US before you left, otherwise they are allowed to tax you on it. This has happened to some people here on TPF. also, they are allowed to confiscate all of your items if they think you are being dishonest and that scares the crap out of me!

Duty free limit is 800$, sometimes even 1000$!
I have passed through US customs many times and have never been asked to put a value on items I was carrying.. Just once I had to pay like mhmmm 40$ for duties but that was in New York.. When I come back home I usually pass through customs at my first port in Atlanta and I never had any problems..Tbh I never bring expensive items with me, just a bag or two in my carry-on bag.. Btw I think it might be around like 7% but not that sure.
I'm going to be home for xmas and I have all these xmas gifts(including two LV bags) to take with me.. so Gosh I'm freaking out.. by then I'll let you know how much they're going to charge me.

Duty free limit is 800$, sometimes even 1000$!
I have passed through US customs many times and have never been asked to put a value on items I was carrying.. Just once I had to pay like mhmmm 40$ for duties but that was in New York.. When I come back home I usually pass through customs at my first port in Atlanta and I never had any problems..Tbh I never bring expensive items with me, just a bag or two in my carry-on bag.. Btw I think it might be around like 7% but not that sure.
I'm going to be home for xmas and I have all these xmas gifts(including two LV bags) to take with me.. so Gosh I'm freaking out.. by then I'll let you know how much they're going to charge me.

thanks love! I brought back about 4-5 grand last time i went, and i claimed it all, and they didnt make me pay, so they really might not make you pay either. This time it will be twice as much and I am pretty sure they arent going to be so forgiving. I cant find the information anywhere and its freakng me out a little bit because I like to be prepared. And surely they wont make you pay since you have a student visa and are going back?

thanks love! I brought back about 4-5 grand last time i went, and i claimed it all, and they didnt make me pay, so they really might not make you pay either. This time it will be twice as much and I am pretty sure they arent going to be so forgiving. I cant find the information anywhere and its freakng me out a little bit because I like to be prepared. And surely they wont make you pay since you have a student visa and are going back?

I don't know to help you =(
I hope so.. but I'm entering the U.S. as a US citizen so it might be sort of complicated.. but they might be good since i'm going back?

I know customs can be a pain but please don't try to pull a fast one on them and fail to declare items or falsely declare their value. You may get away with it but why chance it? It's just not worth it. This forum is full of stories of people that tried to do this and got caught.

Might I suggest you call your local ICE field office and see if they can give you more information about possible fees.

Last edited:
I fly from Heathrow to Phoenix and I've never had a claim slip that showed less than 7K in LV and I've never paid a dime in customs. I don't know why, I've given them my declarations and my debit card all at one time and they just say thanks and hand me back my debit.

However, to answer your question it's 3%.

i bought 3 bags from the LV in Paris among other things while i was there & had to pay duties on the excess before leaving the airport. this was @ IAD