Duty free Hermès boutique

Rogier___

Sep 25, 2008
I'm going to Bali - Indonesia, there is a duty free Hermès shop there in a little mall called Plaza Bali. They sell bags, leather goods, clothing and other accessories. I don't understand buy duty free, how does this work?

My question: Can someone tell me how duty free buying at Hermès works? And I live in Europe, is Hermès even with duty free more expensive in Indonesia compared with European prices?

Thanks for your help!

Oh right because you asked "I don't understand buy duty free, how does this work?"

I doubt very much it's cheaper than Europe as most European things cost more outside the EU

I've been to the Bali shop. The prices are definitely more expensive than Europe and slightly more than US prices reported in Shopping thread (even though you pay in USD). In fact, I found the prices to be slightly higher than Asian prices although lower than the very high Japanese prices.

Indonesia is very expensive even with duty free. If you show your passport they will mark it as duty free and put it in a bag and you claim back to duty when you go through the airport.