Food Dutch process cocoa vs. regular unsweetened cocoa?

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
I want to make a cookie recipe that's specifically asking for Dutch process cocoa. I only have unsweetened cocoa that is not Dutch process.

How will this affect the outcome of the recipe? Thanks!

I think Droste or something like that is dutch process. Try World Market, Kroger's, Tom Thumbs, the internet. I'm surprised Williams-Sonoma doesn't have it.

i didnt know you could by cocoa on amazon.com... nice! i guess i learned something today!*scratches head* well actually i learned what the dutch process cocoa was too.. double wammy!! woot woot*dances around the room*

Dutch processed cocoa is also available at Dean & Deluca. (also the website)
Dutch processed cocoa is simply a purer form of chocolate. It really wont affect your cookies. I have been baking with dutch processed and prefer the taste but, if you like Hersheys cocoa, just use that.
Now there IS a difference in baking with cocoa powder and using unsweeted choco bars. There is a little fat in the the bar choco. Is that what you were asking about?

Now there IS a difference in baking with cocoa powder and using unsweeted choco bars. There is a little fat in the the bar choco. Is that what you were asking about?

No, I definitely was talking about the powder, not the bars.

Well, I bought some on Amazon ... hopefully it will arrive soon and I will finally be able to make my cookie recipe!