Dustbags depending on where you buy?

Sep 23, 2007
For those of you who have purchased a bag that you might normally expect to have a dustbag, have you found that it depends on *where* you buy it if you get it or not? Or is it just a quirk of some brands (*cough* Coach *cough*)?

I'm peeved with Coach at the moment since both emailing and phoning CS has yet to get me a dustbag for bags that the SA at the factory store said I'd be able to get by calling. I don't have a lot of bags, and to be honest, the first "special" bag I got was a Coach, and was my first experience with dustbags. It was a touch that seemed to say "this item is special and deserves special handling and we CARE about that so here's a dustbag". Even from the factory store - there was a dustbag for bags (and belts!) until recently.

In response to my complaint via email, I was told that bags purchased at places other than their own full price stores didn't come with dustbags (and they included department stores in the "no" category). It would seem unfair to a customer who may have a Saks or Nordstrom's but not a Brand Store (using Coach as an example, but I'd apply this to anyone) would be paying the same full price $$ and getting less.

Is that standard practice for many brands? I know many of you here have a lot more shopping miles than I do :biggrin:

So far, I've only run into this with Coach. I purchased a Cole Haan bag online (from Cole Haan) and there was no dustbag. I emailed, was told it was an oversight and they'd send one out. I mentioned that when I was in their store just buying some leather conditioner and the SA reached under the counter and handed me one "in case they forget". I didn't even ask! And yes, the mailed bag did arrive.

My on-sale Marc by Marc Jacobs bags both came with dustbags, one from Zappo's and one from Net-A-Porter. A Betsey Johnson from HobbyFob is on the way, and claims it will have a dustbag. Apparently Marc and Betsey aren't resentful that I'm buying the bags from an online store and not one of their boutiques :cool:.

Yes, I can easily make my own dustbag, it's just that it changes my perception of a brand when they shortchange some of their items this way. Do any other brands do this?

Don't feel too bad about it. You can always make your own or use a soft pillow case. The dustbag I got with my Gerard Darel isn't very nice - it's quite coarse canvas stuff, but I use it anyway.

I don't think it is appropriate for manufacturers to say that although you spend hundreds of dollars on one of their bags, the dustbag (that probably costs them a dollar) is something you only get at boutiques. The Coach outlet tried to give me a dustbag that was smaller than the bag I was purchasing and I simply said no, that was ridiculous and waited them out. Of course they had bigger ones, and I was buying one of the largest bags they make.

I don't think they realize that they are building resentment by doing this. I don't want to leave any store (except TJMaxx maybe) with a bag thinking I could always put it in a pillowcase.

I don't think it is appropriate for manufacturers to say that although you spend hundreds of dollars on one of their bags, the dustbag (that probably costs them a dollar) is something you only get at boutiques. ...

I don't think they realize that they are building resentment by doing this. I don't want to leave any store (except TJMaxx maybe) with a bag thinking I could always put it in a pillowcase.

That's it exactly! I feel like I'm being punished. So far no one has mentioned any other brands doing this, so maybe it's just a Coach thing. I emailed back to them to let them know I think it makes them look cheap.

I also hate not getting a dust bag..Your spending good money you want to protect your bag. I brought a MbMJ off of Zappos and got a dustbag. I bought another MbMJ at Bloomingdales and no dustbag! They said they didnt have any left! I called CS and got one but Its just the point!

I don't think it is appropriate for manufacturers to say that although you spend hundreds of dollars on one of their bags, the dustbag (that probably costs them a dollar) is something you only get at boutiques. The Coach outlet tried to give me a dustbag that was smaller than the bag I was purchasing and I simply said no, that was ridiculous and waited them out. Of course they had bigger ones, and I was buying one of the largest bags they make.

Totally agree. Even the bags at tjmaxx come with dustbags 90% of the time :nuts:

I don't understand why Coach would do this. I know that sometimes when you buy from a department store rather than a brand store, the dustbag can be missing, but a girl I know who used to work in David Jones (australian department store) told me that staff used to sometimes just take dustbags from really old stock themselves and sell the bags without the dustbags. Dodgy, I know!

But what Coach is saying sounds really odd!?

I also hate not getting a dust bag..Your spending good money you want to protect your bag. I brought a MbMJ off of Zappos and got a dustbag. I bought another MbMJ at Bloomingdales and no dustbag! They said they didnt have any left! I called CS and got one but Its just the point!

Did you call the CS for Bloomingdales? Or Marc Jacobs? Who ultimately sent you the dustbag?

I'm just curious as to which brands have good CS. So far for me, Cole Haan gets the gold star when there was an issue. I've not had any MbMJ bugs crop up yet.

Nordstrom has been good to me about missing dustbags, and I have ended up with a few from brands other than what I purchased, but that's OK with me if it fits!

The ones in TJM seem to evaporate within a day of the bag's arrival, regardless of brand. Of course, I know plenty of people who don't even know waht the bags are for.

I'm pissed becasue I have a Juicy Daydreamer tote that I bought from Sak's no dustbag and another huge leather Juicy and it did not come with a dustbag either. I have one Coach that I bought from Coach online that came with a dust bag. Then I have a big Coach & Wallet that I bought from that Outlet and no dustbag. I have two three Michael Kors that I bought from TJ Maxx and No dustbag but the one I bought from Dillards and the one I bought from the MK outlet came with them. LV came with one and the Cole Hann's I just bought came with them. I feel like I wasted my money and my Coach's because they cost so much and not to have a dustbag makes me feel like I wasted my money some how. I really hate the fact that I have to but such expensive bags in pillow cases.

I agree. I'm very disappointed with Coach right now. I did buy my bag (my very first designer bag) at one of their boutique stores but didn't realize that they forgot the dust bag until a few days later when I unpacked from my trip. Customer service told me to go buy a pillow case. Um... I paid at a full-price store and the bag is something I should have gotten. Why should I go pay more money for the incorrect bag?? I'd say I'd go back to the store, but it's sort of on a ship in the middle of the ocean as I type. It's very poor customer service and I did see the store handing out dustbags earlier in the week. I just forgot about it at the time seeing as it was a few minutes before midnight our last night on the ship. What makes me more irritated is that I have seen recent similar posts online where CS has shipped out a bag for free.