Durability of Kellys/Birkins, SOs Questions

gymangel812

<3OOO~~~
O.G.
Apr 14, 2006
So I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I am considering saving up for one... but before I consider getting one, how do they hold up after time? I would likely get Chevre or Togo. I'm used to Balenciaga (darkened handles, corners wearing) and Chanel caviar (which seems to hold up well). Are they prone to darkened handles or rubbed corners? I would likely get something like Lagoon, Blue Jean, Fuchsia, Cyclamen, or Shocking Rose. Should I be worried about these colors showing wear easily? I hate when I pay so much for a bag only for it to easily show wear... Also I wouldn't mind used but how much less should I expect to pay, if any? Thirdly, I would *really* like to do a special order for my first one, but I'm going to guess this would be extremely unlikely as I haven't bought a Kelly or Birkin before.

It depends on the color/size and what you intend to use the bag for (ie, is it a workhorse, special occasion bag etc).

Togo holds up fantastically well, IMO. Because it is grained, scratches are not easily seen, and if your bag gets wet (accidentally, of course) a wipe-down is all that's needed. Togo WILL slouch over time. I have a 30 and it's over a year old and if there's nothing in it, it will slouch quite badly.

Chevre IMO needs to be babied a bit more. I am much more careful with chevre. I have been using my chevre a lot, so it has already begun to slouch after just about 5 months. With my SLG's, I noticed that chevre will soften up A LOT - and it will also show scratches if you're not careful (more easily than in togo). Chevre, however, is luxurious to the touch, and I would get another chevre item over togo anyday.

All bags will show wear over time, it's inevitable. Most noticeable will be on the corners. For the handles, unless you pick a very light color, I don't think there is much darkening at all.

If you already have a relationship with an SA, you might want to casually broach the idea of getting one. In most cases, SOs are only offered to the store's VIPs, so unless you know your SA very well, there isn't much of a chance to get one done.

It depends on the color/size and what you intend to use the bag for (ie, is it a workhorse, special occasion bag etc).

Togo holds up fantastically well, IMO. Because it is grained, scratches are not easily seen, and if your bag gets wet (accidentally, of course) a wipe-down is all that's needed. Togo WILL slouch over time. I have a 30 and it's over a year old and if there's nothing in it, it will slouch quite badly.

Chevre IMO needs to be babied a bit more. I am much more careful with chevre. I have been using my chevre a lot, so it has already begun to slouch after just about 5 months. With my SLG's, I noticed that chevre will soften up A LOT - and it will also show scratches if you're not careful (more easily than in togo). Chevre, however, is luxurious to the touch, and I would get another chevre item over togo anyday.

All bags will show wear over time, it's inevitable. Most noticeable will be on the corners. For the handles, unless you pick a very light color, I don't think there is much darkening at all.

If you already have a relationship with an SA, you might want to casually broach the idea of getting one. In most cases, SOs are only offered to the store's VIPs, so unless you know your SA very well, there isn't much of a chance to get one done.
I will rotate the bag with a few other bags, so it will be like an everyday-ish bag. Is there another leather more durable than togo?

if you are worried about wear, you should consider epsom. it is very hardy but not malleable to the touch like soft and luxurious leathers. slouching is a major issue with any leather bag but epsom and box leather hold their shape well.

darkened handles can be solved with a silk twilly wrapped around. they add a touch of color and has a nice feel in your hands.

aside from the classic blue jean, most of the colors are discontinued for regular production but may be special ordered.

Have you considered Fjord? Fjord holds up very well and is virtually scratch resistant.

As someone else pointed out, most of the colors you are looking for are not being offered. Also, not every color is offered in each leather type.

So I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I am considering saving up for one... but before I consider getting one, how do they hold up after time? I would likely get Chevre or Togo. I'm used to Balenciaga (darkened handles, corners wearing) and Chanel caviar (which seems to hold up well). Are they prone to darkened handles or rubbed corners? I would likely get something like Lagoon, Blue Jean, Fuchsia, Cyclamen, or Shocking Rose. Should I be worried about these colors showing wear easily? I hate when I pay so much for a bag only for it to easily show wear... Also I wouldn't mind used but how much less should I expect to pay, if any? Thirdly, I would *really* like to do a special order for my first one, but I'm going to guess this would be extremely unlikely as I haven't bought a Kelly or Birkin before.

For these colours, yes, the handles will darken over time when handled frequently due to the dirt, sweat and oils on our hands. It is best to wrap twillys around them. Rubbed corners, yes, it will happen too. But the great thing about Hermes is that it refurbishes well, so do your research as some leathers can be refurbished better than others.

In my ,opinion they hold up beautifully ,granted I like patina but even my older swift is looking perfect and it is a more delicate leather, also I Hve to say that the effect of an older birkin in color can be better than a darker one, here's why the color is very intense and with time it sort of sits in ( not ostrich ) also the more classic colors you mentioned will look very nice over time.and even though hermes is now a bit faster in creating the bags they are not fast made and they still are very well built ,blue Jean in particular ages beautifully and when matched with gold hardware it is much more atractive so I'm hoping This helps. and then I have to say in my opinion Hermes is still worth the money and as Emile Hermes used to say Hermes is only luxury in the sense that you can repair and it all has a purpose ! Hope it helps darling. Birkel.

Had this same question when I was ordering mine and went with Togo. It's classic, durable, and I've had mine for five years now and it has held up extremely well. I had a wallet in Chevre and felt I had to be extra careful with it, it's soft and can scratch easily (ended up selling it because I was too worried to enjoy it!). Chevre however will be more lightweight, so it also depends on if you don't like your bags too heavy with nothing in them. That being said, I think if you're going with a Kelly instead of a Birkin, I would pick Chevre because it looks more refined. HTH!

For durability, I would say epsom, togo/clemence, fjord or vache liegee. But VL is no longer being offered, IIRC.

Some hate epsom, because it is embossed, but I love it. It will be more difficult to spa if the corners are ruined though. So far, nothing has happened to my epsom bag.

Clemence will be very heavy, if you opt for a 35 or bigger. Something to keep in mind if you don't like heavy bags.

For an everyday bag, I don't think you can go wrong with togo. Mine is holding up pretty well! But for the color choices you listed, I don't think any is available at the moment, or even in togo, except maybe for BJ.

First you need to decide if you want a rigid bag or one that will soften up considerably.
IMO the neutral color H bags look better than the bright colors as they age.
A beat up Barenia is cool, a beat up fuchsia looks sad.
For me a bright colored H bag is one for special occasions, not every day.

Of course I have to want the colors that aren't really produced so I guess my hope in getting my dream bag(s) is very slim:crybaby:. I don't want to pay over retail for a bag. I have too many neutral bags as it so I was hoping for a nice pop of color. I will look into epsom. I'm hoping for them to hold their shape as I already have slouchy balenciagas. What about a nice grey/taupe color, is this being produced in a durable leather?

Well etoupe and a new very light grey Gris perle are still under production with luck and effort you may be able to find a lagoon in Epsom though it can be even slimmer and I do suggest you look into Epsom look at how it ages because it in my opinion it does not age as well. So maybe ask around for available colors in fjord ?????? Best strong leather ever produced. Also try on bags feel them even if they are not the color or precise size this helps a lot ! Hope it helps.birkel.

Love Fjord as well but isn't as readily available as Togo or Clemence and I have a feeling you won't be able to special order anything until you've proven yourself a lover of other Hermes items as well (sadly, this is the case in MANY boutiques).

Sometimes you can find a lovely Kelly and even a Birkin on the shelves in a pretty color (usually the neutrals don't even make it to the displays).....

I am not a lover of Epsom as it has a papery feel to it and I agree with BIRKEL on how it ages. I've had my corners rub down to the white faster than a blink....so, I'd recommend a hardier leather.

Well, I don't own any bags in chevre, epsom or Togo, but my Fjord Birkin took a tumble onto the pavement out of an moderately tall SUV...bounced off the floorboard and landed front side down...and I can't find any major damage other than some scratches on the turnlock and rubs on the piping that may have been there before. Amazing leather. But my hands down favorite is Boxcalf (with Barenia and then VN close behind); even though it scuffs easily, I find that I can minimize the marks better than with the grained leathers. I used to love love love chevre, until I actually owned SLGs in chevre. It dents and gets slouchy more easily than I like, although for sheer beauty of colors and that slight shimmer, you can't beat chevre.

As for placing an order, depending on the rarity of leather, it never hurts to mention your preferences to an SA that you have worked with several times and feel like you have a rapport with. Seems like every SA/store has different threshold for when they let customers place orders/get on a waitlist/get offered a Birkin, so it doesn't hurt to at least mention what you are looking for once you find an SA you like. Good luck!

I've had my Kelly in chevre de coromandel now for 3 years. It does "rest" from early May until early Sept, but other than that, it is my workhorse bag. I also have a BBKelly but it does not get used nearly as much - I'm lazy about changing bags!

My chevre de coromandel has worn VERY well - no scratches at all. I did send it to the spa at age 2 to have the corners touched up. It looks fantastic and can take all kinds of weather (no, I would not carry it in pouring rain unless it was a quick run from shop to car).

Mine is souple in the sellier style and she's a true beauty.