Durability: How do bbags wear/last/age, do they scuff/scratch/spot easily?

Does Hermes really hold up that well? Or is it only because they live their lives in closets or/and are being treated extremely carefully? I just think all this ohh and ahh over Hermes is a bit, well too much :hrmm:

And as all things, they can broke, get destroyed and what not - it all has to do with how you care for it.

I think it is unrealistic to expect any bag to last a lifetime. I think it would depend on how often the bag is used. The only way it would last for generations is if you barely used it in your lifetime and the next person did the same and the next ....

If you like a bag, wear it, use it and expect it will someday wear out. I don't buy any handbag expecting it to be an investment or for the use of future generations (who knows if they will share your taste in handbags?) but this is just my attitude.

moved to Care & Feeding: if you browse this sub you should find lots of info on bbag longevity
yes.gif

I think they are fairly sturdy if treated well. The corners do tend so scuff easily and the handles can darken if you aren't careful. But mine are all holding up really nicely :tup:

I'm not sure how long a Balenciaga will physically last but style wise, I think the City is destined to be a classic like LV's Speedy or Alma or the Birkin.

I think Balenciaga needs to improve customer service as it relates to ongoing care and repair of bags to help the physical longevity of their bags. Yet, I wonder if that is part of their corporate philosophy since it tends to be a very modern brand.

As for Hermes...

Hermes uses the very very best leather and so the bags hold up remarkable well. But you also need to keep in mind the customer service that comes with Hermes. If there's a stitch loose, you can get it fixed. If it's needs a good cleaning, you can send it in. The maintenance of an Hermes bag is a big part of their service offering. There are dedicated service centers and service staff whose sole job is to repair and care for bags.

You have to think of Hermes as an investment and like most investments, with a little care along the way, you'll have something you could enjoy for a very long time!

I own a Birkin and a Bolide and feel I have two classics that I can wear for the next 40 years. I'll buy other, less expensive designer bags (it's all relative isn't it?!) for more fun, trendy looks. And I admit, at that price point ($400-$1500) I don't expect those bags to be along for the long term as I do my Hermes.

I don't know about a *lifetime* - but my city's about 3 years old now and I used it as a book bag for awhile :Push:. Looks like new - actually, better IMO :tup:

But when I initially bought it, I bought it thinking it was a trendy bag - and believing I'd give it up down the line. Now, as this "trend" appears to continue without fail, that notion's begun to disintegrate a bit - but who knows? :shrugs:

Does Hermes really hold up that well? Or is it only because they live their lives in closets or/and are being treated extremely carefully? I just think all this ohh and ahh over Hermes is a bit, well too much :hrmm:

And as all things, they can broke, get destroyed and what not - it all has to do with how you care for it.

Agreed. Maybe it's because they have the potential to cost as much as a car...? And so some people feel better about purchasing one if they can categorize it as an investment or as a potential heirloom? :confused1:

...but seriously... cars don't last forever either...

If you're looking for an "investment", you're probably better off in stocks and bonds...

:shrugs: JMHO.

I like to think my black weekender will last a lifetime!:heart: I love this bag and use it A LOT. I'm also not particularly careful with her (although I did condition her a lot when I first got her about 18 months ago.

Sometimes I load her up and noticed just the other day some stitching on one handle is a little loose, so at some point I might have to get that fixed, but that is very fixable!

I've even brought her out in the rain (with an umbrella) :crybaby:. And she holds up fine. The leather looks great! :tup:

If you're looking for an "investment", you're probably better off in stocks and bonds...
:shrugs: JMHO.

I agree. There was some mention of this in a 'sick of consumerism' thread down in the General Discussion or Money section (can't remember which) and I said then and still believe that bags and clothes are not investments. They don't appreciate in price as a whole, unless you buy them and keep them *mint* (i.e. unused and with all labels on, and in pristine condition for the next 10 years or so until someone is willing to buy it at 1.5-3x its original cost. Having said that we can't tell if that particular piece of clothing or bag is going to still be popular, or whether some other brand/style has taken over as the new "It" brand/style. It is hard to tell what the future holds, so just enjoy yr bbags for now! :smile:

Investments are better off viewed as stocks, shares, real estate (as long as you are making informed decisions and have a diverse portfolio).

As for physically lasting a lifetime - everything wears & tears. Unless one is very careful with their bbag, minimally using it, and always repairing it, and taking care to ensure it does not grow mould e.t.c, but then where is the fun in using the bag? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it an investment, lol! But I don't mind moisturizing and sending the handles out to be fixed. I love my bbag, use it hard, and hope it will last my lifetime! :yes:

Otherwise, I wouldn't spend this much money on a bag. On a different not, my winter full length is 100% cashmere - expensive, but it's a high quality, classic cut. I've been wearing it for 15+ years, and (having had the lining resewn and buttons put back on here and there) it still looks and wears great!

I don't view my bags as an investment in the sense that they will later sell for a great return... However, i'm a big fan of quality, timelessness, and things that i can enjoy for years to come. That's the reason i spend my money on it... and while it's not the case for me..i know others on this forum have collections that are in the tens of thousands of dollars... and it just makes me wonder..

It's true that how you care for the bag prolongs its life. I've had things in the past that are not designer or expensive last a long time.. so it's possible.

I know some of the ladies i know with kids and :drool::drool::drool:$$$$$ collections plan to pass them on to their daughters.. b/c these bags do cost alot!! I don't think that can happen with a collection of bbags though.

Hi my fellow bbag enthusiasts,

I just got my HG bag, and she is like new! I was wondering if there is any type of product (apple guard or otherwise) that I could apply to the corners to prevent scuffing.

Thanks in advance,

Laura :smile: