Dumb question

Oct 17, 2012
Ok, so this is probably a very dumb question but if anyone would know it would be you gals! I got an email for the sample sale today, what exactly does it mean? I mean obviously it sounds like maybe the bags that were on display? If anyone can explain I'd appreciate it.

Ok, so this is probably a very dumb question but if anyone would know it would be you gals! I got an email for the sample sale today, what exactly does it mean? I mean obviously it sounds like maybe the bags that were on display? If anyone can explain I'd appreciate it.

In the past the sample sale was done at the retail stores, and sometimes you would also find a sample table at the warehouse sale in Dec at the Dooney warehouse. In those sales, some of the bags were production level bags, maybe in different leather or colors. The condition was usually good. But some of the bags were truly samples, no pockets on the inside, the lining stamped with the word sample, or different configuration of zippers, hardware, handles, trim, etc. than the final production model. I bought bags at these sample sales, but there are some I wouldn't buy.

I'm concerned since this online sale is final sale. I don't know what the details on a specific bag will be. I'm not sure we can assume if it's a style we know that it will be the same as the one we have seen in the store.

As for the condition, as we all know, just because something is factory packaged does not mean that it is perfect. Mass production allows for imperfections, even if we don't. And the manufacturing of true samples is often done with less precision than the formal manufacturing process. In some companies a sample is a work of art, the best example of what they can offer, in other companies a sample is a quick and dirty prototype to look like the final product, but may not be anywhere near the quality. I don't know enough about Dooney samples to make a judgment.

In the past the sample sale was done at the retail stores, and sometimes you would also find a sample table at the warehouse sale in Dec at the Dooney warehouse. In those sales, some of the bags were production level bags, maybe in different leather or colors. The condition was usually good. But some of the bags were truly samples, no pockets on the inside, the lining stamped with the word sample, or different configuration of zippers, hardware, handles, trim, etc. than the final production model. I bought bags at these sample sales, but there are some I wouldn't buy.

I'm concerned since this online sale is final sale. I don't know what the details on a specific bag will be. I'm not sure we can assume if it's a style we know that it will be the same as the one we have seen in the store.

As for the condition, as we all know, just because something is factory packaged does not mean that it is perfect. Mass production allows for imperfections, even if we don't. And the manufacturing of true samples is often done with less precision than the formal manufacturing process. In some companies a sample is a work of art, the best example of what they can offer, in other companies a sample is a quick and dirty prototype to look like the final product, but may not be anywhere near the quality. I don't know enough about Dooney samples to make a judgment.

Thanks so much for your response. That was what I was concerned with. I just ordered something from I love dooney so I think I won't risk the defects. Thanks again!