Dumb Elux tax question

Couturegrl

Addicted to Tiffany's
O.G.
Apr 24, 2006
OK I understand that ELux does not charge tax to most states, including AZ where I live. However, I have read people saying on TPF that "you are responsible for complying with your state's taxes". What exactly does that mean? :wtf:

Thanks for clearing up the confusion! :yes:

Interesting. I never noticed that "clause". I didn't pay taxes when my damier speedy was shipped to me. I hope I don't have to. Guess I need to check AZ tax code?

No you don't. It's no tax. However you should be putting the fact that you bought it on your taxes. You dont have to, but technically that's what you should be doing.

In gambling, you are required to fill out a Tax form for anything over 5000 dollars that you win. I'm not sure about purses, but Chigirl is a lawyer and knows a lot about this matter. I'm going to PM her and ask her to respond to this.

I just got home (and have family in town) but I will explain it all to you in a bit. I am a state tax attorney but the quick answer is that if a vendor does not charge sales tax, you are required to self-assess use tax. The use tax is the counterpart to the sales tax so the rate is the same for both. That is, you would have to pay use tax based on your local tax rate (as if you bought it in the store). You are basically paying a tax for using the item in your state. This tax applies to all tangible personal property -- it is not just luxury items. I will explain more if you all are interested.