Books & Music DubStep

Charles

Sucks at budgeting
O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Fl
Who likes them some Dubstep? I friggin love it! It's just so hard and dark and when mixed in with some good hip hop, you can't help but want to dance your face off!

Anyway...here's a good site for some mixes...as well as non-dubstep, house electro mixes.

http://www.mixes.dabears.ca/

It's all free, so there's no copyright issues.

d-girl1011

super stylin' nerd
Mar 2, 2009
Great White North
Hi Charles -Thanks for the link. I think you might be out of luck finding any dubstep lovers on this board ;) I don't mind it (only because my SO plays it so often that I have become accustomed to it). But, I think its more of a guy thing and is very testosterone driven - every girl I know turns her nose up at it after hearing it hehehe.

I saw flying lotus a few weeks ago for the second time - he always does a good job of mixing it in with his hip hop sets. For me, dubstep is hit or miss - I love some tracks, but more so those that verge on 2 step or a fusion of different genres (e.g. burial). I find that although the tracks are intense and super pumped, the DJ's kinda suck at mixing it. I saw Scream and Benga about a year ago and they did an abysmal job of mixing tracks, so much so that I was pissed when I left the show and I myself could have done a far superior job (I can't mix tracks to save my life - but neither can they!). I'm a purist for smooth mixes (I'm old and crusty and love minimal techno where a slick transition between tracks reins supreme).

Charles

Sucks at budgeting
O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Fl
I guess I can see that, but I was thinking it might be good for getting amped up to clean or work out.
And I hear you on the mixing. I used to mess around with DJing and that was DnB, so a lot of time you had to use half the beats in order to mix in something with a slower tempo or mash it up with something else. Honestly, it's not THAT hard to blend a smooth mix. Just takes a bit of practice, but not that much. To me, if you're DJing a club, you should have plenty of practice at that point. No excuses for slippin!

d-girl1011

super stylin' nerd
Mar 2, 2009
Great White North
I guess I can see that, but I was thinking it might be good for getting amped up to clean or work out.

For sure - totally agreed - I love hearing it when I go out! I just can't listen to it on my headphones in the way I do with other electronic music. Plus I downgraded from DJ style headphones to earbuds, so totally not the same effect. hehehe - once again, I'm old and crusty ;)

I agree about the DnB - I was big into that back in the day, so it's sort of surprising that I haven't gotten into dubstep big time. I feel that it fills the same space though, KWIM? Genres of electronic music are constantly changing these days I can barely keep up.

Last edited:

blah956

Aug 16, 2009
DFW
i'm not sure if any of the music i listen to is dubstep. i generally listen to electronica. if you made this a electronica thread i'd have more to contribute lol

Pinkpuff09

Sep 15, 2009
I've never liked dubstep, but I religiously listen to EDM - trance, psytrance, and hardstyle in particular :biggrin:
Charles and everyone else, do you listen to that kind of stuff?
Don't want to take the focus away from this thread, but I'm curious!

missisa07

O.G.
Jun 1, 2007
I LOVE all EDM, but that's only because I was recently introduced to the *cough* rave scene. ;)