Dry, flakey skin on forehead

ByeKitty

Literally amazing!
May 8, 2010
I always tend to have flakey skin between and above my eyebrows.
It's not really heavy, so it's usually only noticeable when I put make-up on it - and even with a primer it looks really bad!

Does anyone know how to get rid of those flakes? Is there a certain scrub or mask I could try? Any nice products?
What not to do?

Dont worry, I had this, even though i have really awful oily skin. I though using a scrub to get rid of the skin would be the best bet but all it did was remove the skin and dry it out even more. If i remember correct i used a heavy moisturiser, even a tab of vaseline at night to get some moisture back into my forehead and soon enough the dry skin went away!!

Good luck and remember, it will go away!

Thanks!! I already moisturize... I have combination skin (most areas aren't dry at all) but would it be good to buy a "dry skin" moisturizer for that particular area?

I suggest you meet or physician or dermatologist.
You may have Seborrhoeic dermatitis and need a special treatment (creme generally) that you apply to your affected area for 30 days on a daily basis.
Hope, it's not the case for you.
My Mom used Ketoderm 2% (Ketoconazole 2% )
Don't worry, it's not a big deal.

Hmm.. I'm not so sure because my dad has the same thing - maybe a little worse because he doesn't moisturize!
My skin is at its dryest after showering... If I apply moisturizer when I just get out of the shower my skin does improve, but not enough to just apply foundation freely!

I get dry areas on my face sometimes and I like to scrub them and then after applying my regular moisturizer I either put extra, or if that doesn't cut it, I put a heavier moisturizer I usually use for my hands on the dry spot on my face.

i had this on parts of my face when i first moved to a cold climate.

here are things that work for me:
- using the oil cleansing method (OCM) 1-3x per week with olive oil (google and you'll find out how to do it - simple and cheap).
- yu-be skin moisturizer. this is very thick cream and has a slight medicinal smell, but the scent does not linger at all. put it only on the flaking area. this can be too heavy to put all over your face unless you have very, very dry skin. it's available on sephora under natural items.
- dr. haushka rose day cream. lightweight enough for daily use and really reduces dryness without having to use a heavy moisturizer.
- mario badescu glycolic moisturizer. this essentially works as an exfoliator overnight (it's a cream, no rinsing it off or anything). i use this as my night moisturizer in the winter and i have had no flaking so far.

HTH!

Reactions: j19
I suggest I mild peel that won't irritate your skin (no acids), like an enzyme peel about once week followed by a soothing mask. for everyday a heavier moisturizer ( cream no gels, lotions,gel-creams...) for your forehead. at first I would use it in the mornings and evenings, but if it should be to heavy for you, just use it once a day.

scrub with apricot scrub then get the tub of cetaphil super thick mositurizer and slather it on....works wonders!!! this dry flaky skin used to happen to me all the time when i was on accutane and this is what works. vaseline will also help too.

I had flaky skin above and between my eyebrows, and it itched. I thought I had dry skin, but nothing helped so I went to the dermatologist and she told me I have seborrhea, which is excessive oil production and yeast overgrowth. I was given a prescription for a cleanser and also for nizoral pills.

I have the same problem, try to exfoliate 3 times a week, I recommend St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I use this maybe 2 - 3 times a week especially during the winter and it really helps eliminate dry skin. Also make sure you are using a moisturizer before you apply make up, I've been using Neutrogena moisturizer for years, right now I'm using the one for combination skin b/c I've been getting a little oily around my forehead, but I swear by this moisturizer.

I had flaky skin above and between my eyebrows, and it itched. I thought I had dry skin, but nothing helped so I went to the dermatologist and she told me I have seborrhea, which is excessive oil production and yeast overgrowth. I was given a prescription for a cleanser and also for nizoral pills.
I have this too! My derm just put it as "dandruff of the face". No amount of moisturizer will help, OP, if this is what it is. I went through tons of products before just going to the doctor:mad:. I use Rx Nizoral shampoo on the pesky spots. Bagshopr, I'm going to have to ask about the pills. Sounds like it is much easier than the shampoo!

I have this problem sometimes, if I don't follow my skincare regimen religiously. Like the above posters it's seborrhea, and yes, nothing will help it except treatment. I use a 2% ketoconazole ointment that works wonders. I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist to make sure.