Dry-cleaning causing shrinkage?

lightdays

O.G.
Feb 18, 2009
I got my Chanel jacket that is made out of 100% wool with a little bit of 100% silk lining near the neck area. My mom was saying that dry clean can shrink it a bit. I googled and people say it generally doesn't shrink unless there is some kind of problem with the dry cleaning machine or if one of the worker's mess up. Anyone have any experiences of dry cleaning shrinking your clothes or your wool coats? Thanks.

Unfortunately, yes!

My drycleaner, who is normally excellent, has ruined at least 3 of my sweaters. They came back so small that I had to give them to a friend who has pre-teen daughters. I was very unhappy with them for shrinking my cashmere sweaters!

I have also had a dry cleaner shrink cashmere sweaters. One of my favorite sweaters came back looking cropped, and a cardigan that used to fit perfectly I can barely button. I hand wash all of my cashmere now.

I have the opposite problem. When I send things to the dry cleaner, they seem to come back a bit bigger??? Not that they are so big that they don't fit, but they definitely have a bit more room.

All you need to do is to request your dry cleaner to set the temperature on the machine lower. I requested and never had problem since.....HTH

My dry cleaner lady even pre-measured the garment before starting the cleaning process.